Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 439270 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #975 on: April 04, 2016, 03:53:11 pm »

And I am getting pretty tired over your extreme, and more importantly, your extremely repetitive negativity, Neonivek.
Seriously. We get it. You and others have said the same thing many times already. Is there really a need to continuously say the same things over and over again after everybody has already heard what you have to say?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 04, 2016, 04:24:27 pm »

And I am getting pretty tired over your extreme, and more importantly, your extremely repetitive negativity, Neonivek.
Seriously. We get it. You and others have said the same thing many times already. Is there really a need to continuously say the same things over and over again after everybody has already heard what you have to say?

Hey, I stopped... and ONLY chimed in ONCE because the game was out and otherwise I was responding.

I tried to ask you what you found wrong with the game and I don't think I ever asked you to stop complaining. I apologize if I came across as trying to shut you down. I'm legitimately curious about the problems you have with the game, even in its current incarnation.

Ohh opps. It is hard to say because it is very general.

One is that weapons need to be fixed so that both slow and fast weapons sort of stand side by side (I was also never a fan of making epic weapons WAY better then elemental given Electric weapons are frankly kind of the better element for defensive purposes).

Second is they need to tighten the controls on the platforming and incorporate that into their combat.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:26:56 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 04, 2016, 04:42:29 pm »

Yeah, in terms of the low-level mechanical stuff, those were my major complaints as well: the movement felt too floaty and returning to the dumbed-down combat system was a serious mistake.

For that stuff, it feels like the team understood on some level that Terraria's platforming and combat were popular but not why (because they scratched that Metroidvania itch), so instead of further improving on them they hared off in a dozen different directions, as they did with so many other things, eventually ending up with something that just feels kinda off.

That's the most telling part for me about the quality of the game as it stands: for almost every system and mechanic I can think of an older iteration of it from earlier in the development cycle that I like more, or that was just flat-out better. One of the few good things they're doing for 1.0 is (allegedly) removing the hard gates on exploration.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 06, 2016, 01:53:13 am »

I've thought it over, and have to say: my real qualm is that I don't care for the devs. As a group of businessmen and (I think it's fair to this about at least some game developers in this day and age) artisans, I don't care for how they handle their product and clientele.

Starbound's a nice diversion. Nothing special the last time a played it a year or so back- particularly, for the lack of content diversity. But if there were random events that leant themselves to a multiplayer  (viz., Terraria), I would enjoy it quite a bit more.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 06, 2016, 06:13:11 am »

Gentlefish I particularly remember giving the game a 5/10, that isn't a bad game.

Heck my ultimate complaint was that it needed to be touched up and that my major beef is more people telling me I couldn't complain then with the game itself.

Which frankly... I am getting tired of being told over and over that I can't complain, that I am wrong to complain, or that my opinion on the game is invalid... But alas that is how things go in here. I should just get used to it.
I think it's more how you complain (ie wording, tone of words, semantics...) rather than actually complaining in itself. :O I think it's a thing that has been mentioned before?

That's the most telling part for me about the quality of the game as it stands: for almost every system and mechanic I can think of an older iteration of it from earlier in the development cycle that I like more, or that was just flat-out better. One of the few good things they're doing for 1.0 is (allegedly) removing the hard gates on exploration.
Is there anyway to play the early patches of the game via Steam?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: April 06, 2016, 06:44:05 am »

Is there anyway to play the early patches of the game via Steam?
Steam, no, but I think you might still find some of the early(er) builds on various torrent sites. A quick glance over to one I know shows a build from 2 years ago, if you really want to try that route.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: July 08, 2016, 06:18:50 pm »

So.

It's leaving Early Access on July 22nd.

http://playstarbound.com/starbound-release-announcement/

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: July 08, 2016, 06:23:29 pm »

I haven't been watching development too closely, of late, and so I have a question for those who have been: Is Starbound set to fulfill its original roadmap upon release, or are there still some major missing pieces?

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: July 08, 2016, 06:37:47 pm »

I haven't been watching development too closely, of late, and so I have a question for those who have been: Is Starbound set to fulfill its original roadmap upon release, or are there still some major missing pieces?
Depends, I guess.  Technically every thing is there, technically.  Maybe not in that great of detail or depth, but it's all there.  Has been for awhile.

The problem though is that not that they are there but are they there in the way they were promised/proposed.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: July 21, 2016, 11:43:29 pm »

Planning to play for the first time tomorrow. Any highly recommended mods?

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: July 22, 2016, 01:05:04 am »

Depends on how you interpret what was promised.

I have fun building my stuff on Starbound, though. It's alright.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: July 22, 2016, 03:00:50 am »

Planning to play for the first time tomorrow. Any highly recommended mods?
If somehow, against all odds, there will suddenly be a mod that brings back the original hotbar style, I will immediately and highly recommend that.

As it is, I've removed the game from my Steam library listing. I did not believe it was possible to so completely break my enjoyment of the game so close to projected release, but boy was I proven wrong. Just barely one month to release, and out of nowhere they completely wreck the primary UI element of the game, without allowing there to be any options, or apparently even mods. Chucklefish are truly masters at this, it seems.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: July 22, 2016, 03:12:48 am »

Yeaah. I definitely preferred Starbound much earlier. As it stands now, I just think Starbound is Okay. Not particularly bad, but it's really just not fun or captivating. They've managed to combine the random generation and set story stuff such as the Outpost and missions in such a boring way.

If I want to start a new game in Starbound, I have to spend tons of time mining for the core fragments. Then I have to do (read: cheese) the moon mission if I want to continue. It just feels like a slog to get to the next part and so on.

I'm sure Starbound will just be one of those games that I'll enjoy for a week or so every 1-2 years. And who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll add fun stuff post-release.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: July 22, 2016, 03:15:49 am »

I'm sure Starbound will just be one of those games that I'll enjoy for a week or so every 1-2 years. And who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll add fun stuff post-release.

Depends if they can find any modders to take content from.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: July 22, 2016, 03:18:31 am »

If I want to start a new game in Starbound, I have to spend tons of time mining for the core fragments. Then I have to do (read: cheese) the moon mission if I want to continue. It just feels like a slog to get to the next part and so on.
Uh, well, unless they broke that as well, ever since the story upgrade you no longer actually have to do the mining for fragments, although I heavily recommend it for various later uses because for once they actually have later uses. There's a mining outpost on the starting planet, that now actually contains a large quantity of the core fragments, including a hefty amount that drops from a miniboss in there.

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 130