Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 443487 times)

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #990 on: July 22, 2016, 04:44:28 am »

It's kinda weird that Starbound v1.0 feels real similar to the early alpha builds of Starbound, the one with temperature, comfort and hunger mechanics. Only now the combat system is a LOT better, and your attacks actually have a bit of weight to them. The whole tech progression system got a bit a revamp which is something I like too, hello inventors bench!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: July 22, 2016, 07:05:36 am »

Ah. Time to re-install and see what this questing stuff is all aboot, I guess.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: July 22, 2016, 07:06:08 am »

Didn't they completely remove the combat system and turn it into identical left-click spam again?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: July 22, 2016, 12:28:32 pm »

Didn't they completely remove the combat system and turn it into identical left-click spam again?

It's clicky, but not a click-fest. Every weapon has a different attack combo with a slight cooldown, so you can't just mash you have to be aware of where your weapon will hit and where the enemy will be. It's a bit more strategic than how combat used to work...

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: July 22, 2016, 01:25:18 pm »

I'm still really mad about the removal of the better combat system. For an update, they implemented combat where enemies purposefully attack you instead of just harming on touch. They talked about how great it was and all the benefits it had; and I agreed.

It actually made combat really fun. Then they took it back out just so they could do their special weapon stuff.

Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: July 22, 2016, 04:09:38 pm »

Hey I remember how I was looking forward to picking up Starbound when it was meant to be released sometime in 2013, but I haven't really been following this game since it came to early access. I also remember how ambitious plans the developers had for the game, like it was going to get procedurally generated worlds which were accessible for players to explore them, kind of Terraria but much more in scale and variety of content. They maintained a web-page where current progress on certain sides of the game was shown, like how much of either of the announced features was implemented. And I wonder how close Starbound in its current state to the game it was going to become then?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:54:52 am by RoguelikeRazuka »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: July 22, 2016, 08:26:37 pm »

1.0 says Beta at the top. Good job guys/gals. Good job. /tinyclap

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: July 23, 2016, 01:21:53 am »

Hey I remember how I was looking forward to picking up Starbound when it was meant to be released sometime in 2013, but I haven't really followed this game since it came to early access. I also remember how ambitious plans the developers had for the game, like it was going to get procedurally generated worlds which were accessible for players to explore them, kind of Terraria but much more in scale and variety of content. They maintained a web-page where current progress on certain sides of the game was shown, like how much of either of the announced features was completed. And I wonder how close Starbound in its current state to the game it was going to become then?

Considering they deliberately purged all record of that road map, it's hard to say. There's no doubt that the game was overhyped, but I feel like most people here would agree that it didn't live up to even most of the hype. I dunno about 1.0 though, haven't touched the game in a long time and don't really plan on touching it again.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: July 23, 2016, 02:02:07 am »

About 4 of us played through the intro today.

It was certainly interesting, had its ups and downs. We spent a lot of time faffing about learning through all the new controls and inventory systems and quests and everything.

Then we tunneled down to get the stuff needed for the first big quest. That was a bloody good time as we traversed amusing slime chambers, lava pits, us killing each other, burying each other, etc.

After that came the hub world shit and we got so bored we all kinda just left after that.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #999 on: July 23, 2016, 02:02:57 am »

Played several hours today and enjoyed it a lot

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: July 23, 2016, 02:28:01 am »

Yeah, I haven't played since before quests came in. Reinstalled today and like what I've seen so far. The company is still reprehensible, but the game seems to deliver on most of what they promised, surprisingly.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: July 23, 2016, 11:34:45 am »

Wasn't there another game they were planning on making after Starbound was 'finished"? Any word on that yet, or was it abandoned?

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: July 23, 2016, 11:59:44 am »

I am still wondering why this game exists.

In the short time that I tried this I basically found nothing it does better than Terraria.

I don't mind making clones of games at all, but you gotta at least do something better you know?
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: July 23, 2016, 12:09:38 pm »

The short answer to that is this:

Tiy disagrees with Red over development of Terraria, Tiy quits taking a substantial chunk of change in exchange for his art, Tiy founds Chucklefishheads to make his 'better' attempt at the game.  misdirection, trolling, rage, game complete, u mad bro, 1.00 release.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: July 23, 2016, 12:13:10 pm »

Sometimes, you don't need "better". Just "different" is enough. I've had great amounts of fun in Terraria, but... short of actually going for and completing the incredibly grindy final-boss events, I already did pretty much everything there is to do in the game. Starbound, while mechanically inferior, provides a different scope, a different setting, a different progression to play in. Parallels between the two are inevitable, but while I would definitely like to see a game better than Terraria, with the same scope and setting as Starbound, what Starbound does is by itself sufficient.

Well, it was sufficient at any rate, until the devs wrecked the hotbar UI and made the game painful to play for me.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 130