Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441154 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1500 on: August 07, 2016, 02:47:08 pm »

The ghost chases you proportionally to the amount of erchius fuel you have in your inventory, including the stuff you beamed down with.

So if I go to a moon with my inventory too full to hold any fuel, liquid or solid, making it all just drop on the ground when mined, no ghost will come?
Would be nice for moon base building.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: August 07, 2016, 04:10:21 pm »

Not even just cosmetic loot.

Spoiler: Real spoiler? (click to show/hide)
:O !
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The ghost chases you proportionally to the amount of erchius fuel you have in your inventory, including the stuff you beamed down with.

So if I go to a moon with my inventory too full to hold any fuel, liquid or solid, making it all just drop on the ground when mined, no ghost will come?
Would be nice for moon base building.
As long as you have ANY ERCHUS FUEL ITEM (Crystallized/liquid), the ghosts are gonna get ya! D:<
If you don't, the moon is safe haven. Forever. Just don't mine any other fuel items--or if you do, don't touch em! \o/

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: August 07, 2016, 05:14:35 pm »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: August 07, 2016, 05:16:05 pm »

guess i'll see if i can complete the dreadwing mission with my best crewmates. got some interesting weapons right now.

Crewmates? I just beat that mission today using a mech (the cheapest one).

P.S. I have yet to find anything to scan for the mission Esther Bright gave me. I'm sure I'll find the right colony type eventually, though, if I don't get bored enough to stop playing. The mining is pretty boring, and the combat isn't much better.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 05:19:14 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: August 07, 2016, 05:56:42 pm »

i thought mechs were removed from the game before release.

anyways

i finished my tier 3 armor and got some nice drops. i enlisted two of my crewmates and fought the damned penguin ufo, i died after killing it so no codex. and im not planning on fighting that again.

so after that i went onto the hunting grounds and finished the floran mission, the ixodoom was basically harmless. but i wasnt able to get the hunter boots. didnt have enough rope or the tech for jumping to whatever it was supposed to be hidden.

also, dont invest on rocket jump, that shit is useless. the double jump proved more easy to manage.

so next i explored one of the ocean planets on the current system in order to get the pagoda library location. took some tries to beat the boss. but i was able to win after getting used to the combat pattern.

now i have to finish the avian mission, but i found a barely scannable town on the system i moved. however, i was able to get enough durasteel for making the 48 slot storage lockers. and i was able to free some space on ship.

i just need a single upgrade module for the third ship upgrade. but had to stop to do other stuff.

oh and i captured some pokemon....well, i have like 4 pets, a small fish, a big fish, Bobot and Smoglin...i havent used them tho. im afraid to get them killed and i havent upgraded the remaining crafting stations due to a shortage on electronic components and well, durasteel, and explosive powder..

and speaking of explosive powder, that thing can be bought or something? i dont feel like going to the magma layer of a planet just for a few crystals.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: August 07, 2016, 05:58:29 pm »

guess i'll see if i can complete the dreadwing mission with my best crewmates. got some interesting weapons right now.

P.S. I have yet to find anything to scan for the mission Esther Bright gave me. I'm sure I'll find the right colony type eventually, though, if I don't get bored enough to stop playing. The mining is pretty boring, and the combat isn't much better.
How bizarre. I've always found at least one floran location in my starting system, sometimes multiple.

Note that you don't have to find villages or other peaceful locations; oftentimes race-specific dungeons have items you can scan as well.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: August 07, 2016, 06:27:36 pm »

Honestly, I just abuse admin powers to skip the boring core fragment/mining facility part.

Code: [Select]
/spawnitem corefragmentore 20
Then I just skip the mining facility to get to the traveling part. Then the last bit of abuse is getting a pixel printer.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: August 07, 2016, 07:55:47 pm »

i thought mechs were removed from the game before release.

anyways

To clarify, they were added by the XS Mechs - Vehicle Edition mod. I assume the mech code still exists in the vanilla game, just inaccessible in-game, but I don't know.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: August 07, 2016, 08:34:38 pm »

I'm still pretty early in Starbound, due to distractions of other games, and confusion on how to proceed.

After receiving the main quest, I spent several hours scouring my starting world looking for clues that apparently do not spawn on that planet.
So I tried to go to another planet, but came to the (mistaken) conclusion that I could not go to other planets aside from my moon without fuel, and I needed to explore the moon to get fuel, but I needed a breathing device to explore the moon, and I needed tungsten to build a breathing device, and my hours scouring my homeworld had turned up no tungsten, so I decided (incorrectly) that I must have to explore the moonbase to get tungsten. So I spent several more hours re-running the moonbase scenario before concluding that there was no tungsten there, spent a few more hours digging to hell and back on my homeworld just to be absolutely sure that there was no tungsten there, which of course there wasn't. Eventually, I started poking around my ship hoping there might be something I overlooked, and of course I found that the minus magnifying glass in the star-system UI would zoom out so I could see other planets in the local star system which I could travel to without fuel.

So I arrived on a forested world with Tungsten and started exploring. Several hours later, still no clues for my main quest, but I had a backpack full of tungsten and other prizes, so I figured I would head home and see what I could make with it. On my way up, an NPC living in an underground hovel gave me my first side-quest, asking me to kill the nearby bridge-ninja. I spent another hour wandering around looking for the guy, before I realized that the icon next to the quest tracker was a compass pointing me to him. So I made my way up to the surface and found the bridge-ninja, standing on his bridge...

After my near brush with death, I began heading back down my tunnels to turn in the quest at the underground NPC. The same tunnels I had managed to safely traverse for the past several hours, less than a minute in I got ambushed by about a dozen bats who did not stagger from my attacks and had far more health than something so frail has any right to. Their tiny little vampire teeth managed to stab me to my first experience with Death in Starbound(at least the first that wasn't caused by me jumping off the side of the moonbase to satisfy my curiosity, which fortunately doesn't result in item loss). So after beaming back, making my way back to the hole, plunging down, dispatching the bats with care this time, reclaiming my loot which was piled across at least two screens of cavern floors, I then made my way back to the quest NPC and claimed my rewards.

I managed to return to my homeworld without further incident and upgraded some of my workstations and armor, and build myself a breathing device. I look forward to exploring the moon now, but that can wait until tomorrow.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: August 07, 2016, 08:44:25 pm »

They probably should have made it more obvious that you can travel within your system without fuel. That seems to be one of the things I see new players get caught up on.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: August 07, 2016, 09:40:10 pm »

I filled my fuel tank 60% full with coal (another mod, of course) before realizing that flying places in-system didn't use fuel.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: August 07, 2016, 09:45:31 pm »

Once upon a time coal was a valid choice for fuel. People thought it was hilarious how you could power an FTL engine with coal. Who's laughing now.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: August 07, 2016, 11:12:39 pm »

Big point: There is always a teleporter at the end of most missions.

I apparently did NOT notice the teleporter and manually quit. Although this set the mission as successful for quest-related purposes, meaning that the Captain then fixes up your ship and you can cruise the stars, it does not record your win--EVEN STEAM ACHIEVEMENTS RECORD YOUR WIN, but you always have to visit the end-mission teleporter.

That's. Wow. I thought the side-quests not consistently advancing their trackers was bad, but this just sounds painful. Anyone know if there's a sane way to submit bugs, or do you have to toss them on the CF forums?
To be respectfully fair, I'm/I was a bit biased because of certain characteristics. Things that were pretty much basic and that I had to deal with everytime I needed to do something that it stressed rather than helped. :-[ Everything is generally better overall in the game, albeit they did cut down on random monster generation and all (so that you're more prepared and can pick out which critters for pets you want, and the like), with the biggest peeve on me was THAT HOTBAR--I've little idea how to quick-arrange and such: Contrasted to before the 'after-early-access' build wherein I could open my inventory and press numpad keys to quickly set which goes in the hotbar...

That said, that got to me >_> The flagging system is very well done. Even offline steam achievements are recorded (although quietly, you won't know and it's all set as 'secret' anyway unless you've the wiki open; the wiki is updated there. :P). It got to me to presume, despite the evidence of the WARNING on pressing 'beam me up, SAIL' of mission progress loss, and the lack of direct information had my flailing around. ._.

I filled my fuel tank 60% full with coal (another mod, of course) before realizing that flying places in-system didn't use fuel.
There's still a lot about the game that isn't in a help manual, and we've to go about with only knowing the controls as said in the options. :P Actually reminds me of the classic games of old, wherein people didn't have these ARROWS EVERYWHERE--the arrows in the quest markers do help though, as they imply the quest giver told you the general idea of where the thing is (ie "Oh um, by the avian tomb, there's a branching lobe on the western part, past the giant statue of Kluex...") and leaves it to the imagination.

To clarify, they were added by the XS Mechs - Vehicle Edition mod. I assume the mech code still exists in the vanilla game, just inaccessible in-game, but I don't know.
It seems the wiki still says there are mechs available in game? :O

~totally magic snip~
Maaaan, thanks dude for that c: Although I seriously hope this will be patched soon...it's nice to see you again! (Hah, also very nice seeing your username having an emblem of our cultural language in it. :P )

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: August 07, 2016, 11:15:55 pm »

Once upon a time coal was a valid choice for fuel. People thought it was hilarious how you could power an FTL engine with coal. Who's laughing now.

not only coal, there was also uranium and more elements that could work as fuel for the ship.

i guess they changed it for erchius since it was illogical that a spaceship could do a warp jump with a fission reactor, let alone a steam engine. (no, Novakid ships look like trains but they're not the real thing, before anyone tries to mention)...

as for me.

after a painfull search for durasteel i was able to get enough metal for staying afloat some time. i was lucky to find not only that, but a 4th upgrade module. so i was able to give the third upgrade to the ship. all the workshops were moved to the backroom since it was large enough to house them. althought the inventor's table occupies part of the central room too.

i decided to look for lush planets in which to loot core fragments. most of these worlds have the same configurations so i was able to get enough powder for upgrading the forge.

now that i have an atomic forge i can craft the rest of the materials required for the other stations.

the garden in the second floor was expanded up to the end of the room. incrementing the amount of crops i could place.

i have yet to finish the avian mission. but i should find an avian settlement eventually.

i have also found a teleporter core. and was able to buy a teleporter and the terramart shipment module. i can start planning on making a main base of operations.

but for now i remain shiplocked. i dont have enough resources for building a starbase. was thinking on something akin to the metroid fusion laboratory base. just need the resources.

EDIT:

spent almost all my metals into making electronic components. i had to search for a sandy planet for completing the remaining electronics and a toxic planet for the battery components.

but yeah, upgraded everything.

now i just need to gather more durasteel for the pixel compressor, pixel printer and pet station.

i even got enough durasteel for getting tier 4 armor. so now i can at least defend myself on the irradiated planets.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:43:06 pm by xaritscin »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: August 07, 2016, 11:41:29 pm »

Why not use flags instead?
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 130