Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 439279 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1530 on: August 08, 2016, 10:54:16 am »

Well, you can. With the whole colony tenant system you can focus pretty well on building up a nice little community. Unfortunately, it seems that you have to go through the main plot to unlock a bunch of the shops that really let you do that, which requires the platforming combat stuff to do.

There might be some option to skip that, but I'm not sure.

/admin

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: August 08, 2016, 06:40:23 pm »

I think I'm falling into the endless mod-hole and now restarting over and over and over again. Now using things like the explorer pod, durable pick/drill, better watering cans.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: August 08, 2016, 08:33:09 pm »

I think I'm falling into the endless mod-hole and now restarting over and over and over again. Now using things like the explorer pod, durable pick/drill, better watering cans.
Yeah, you don't need to worry about gardening if you progress a little bit. You get auto sprinklers and shit like that.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: August 08, 2016, 11:19:03 pm »

You know what really bothers me? And it's a tiny little irrelevant thing, mind you. It's the torches. In earlier builds you could craft and use a portable pixel printer, which would upgrade your basic crafting ability with a bunch of new stuff that you could 3D print at any time from raw pixels, and one of those things were cheap electric lights to use instead of torches. Not only were they brighter, more importantly they were sci-fi themed. A small detail, I know, but that along with the fact that you could fabricate them anytime, anywhere using a pocket-sized 3D printer really hammered home the fact that Starbound, unlike Terraria or Minecraft, is a sci-fi game where you explore the universe as a member of a technologically developed species. I haven't been able to find any equivalent of those cheap electric lights in 1.0, though. And so, even though I'm zipping around the galaxy faster than light in my spaceship and fight alien beasties using a pair of laser pistols and a frickin lightsaber, I still use stone-age torches for illumination. It's a strange disconnect, and it bothers me a lot more than it probably should.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1534 on: August 09, 2016, 12:03:18 am »

Yeah, you have to get pretty high up to even get a pixel printer. A mod that adds the Pocket Printer would be very nice.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: August 09, 2016, 01:13:31 am »

I have something called a 'simple light' or 'simple wall light' that costs 45 pixel each, takes up 1 block on a wall, and is pretty bright. Still have to get all the way to durasteel (or cheat) to get the printer though.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: August 09, 2016, 02:46:40 am »

Huh, I don't have those. I have an LED Wall Light that takes up 2 blocks and costs 60 (and is very blue). And mind you, even 45 per light is kinda expensive when you use dozens on every trip underground. I guess I have to pick up the simple light somewhere to learn how to print it or something? Having to hunt around to learn how to wire an LED to a battery is silly, and I really dislike that the printer is a crafting station. Torches I can make with my bare hands. I really loved the early Starbound's techy, sci-fi idea of 'crafting' simple items by having a pocket-portable gadget 3D print the item for you on demand, I thought that was really cool. Having to stock up on them before I go exploring is decidedly less cool.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:51:35 am by Sordid »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: August 09, 2016, 02:59:47 am »

I think the simple light are the little square lights in the outpost at the big ladder thing. just scan it with the N scanner thingy and it'll show up in the printer.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: August 09, 2016, 04:16:18 am »

Yeah, you don't need to worry about gardening if you progress a little bit. You get auto sprinklers and shit like that.
But I want to garden to progress! Well, the better picks and drills would help with mining though. And in FU, you just need access to oil to get the hydroponics tiles or whatever they are to get always watered plots. No need for that stupid sprinkler thing.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1539 on: August 09, 2016, 04:24:24 am »

Ohhh FU was indeed totally worth starting over for. Yesterday I found a wasteland planet covered in the ruins of some ancient technologically advanced civilization. It is just SO well made. There are little robots all over the place, some of which will attack. The ground is mostly made of old junk metal and stuff, but when you mine into it, it's full of huge veins of iron and other stuff like titanium. There are ruins here and there of old houses, fallen to pieces. And the weather is crazy, alternating between wind storms, raining ash, raining tar, and raining water which causes gravity to reverse when you touch it. I'm having so much fun exploring it... As a fan of the Foundation series of novels, it really feels like I'm exploring the ruins of Trantor long after the fall of the empire. I remember reading that book and fantasizing about exploring those kinds of ruins, and NOW I CAN. So awesome. And I haven't even really started exploring under the surface yet...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: August 09, 2016, 08:05:04 am »

one of those things were cheap electric lights to use instead of torches. Not only were they brighter, more importantly they were sci-fi themed.

I've been building a small mod collection of mainly UI improvement stuff and some small tweaks like racial wallpaper for the starting ships, and in my browsing I've encountered some specific sci-fi themed stuff ("keeping it scifi" to be exact) that seems to no longer be supported with the current game version.

Are there versions of this stuff that still work?  sci-fi themed digging tools and lamps?  portable printers?

What about Jetpacks?  they've been removed from the game?  I dont see any current mods that add them in...

it really feels like I'm exploring the ruins of Trantor long after the fall of the empire.

Okay, THAT sold me on FU.  I was concerned about compatibility other mods and previous / future savegames... but hell with all that.  I'm downloading it now.

I don't think nightly builds still exist?

Some further followup on that:  I subscribed to nightlies for the "unstable" release on steam, and now there is an update queued.  No news, no change log.  That wiki page I linked a ways back acknowledges the latest date is in fact yesterday, but no info on what the changes are. 

So, something is still going on.  But I'm unsubscribing from it anyway, seems like all the mod development is on the main release.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: August 09, 2016, 08:39:17 am »

I wouldn't bother, most of us are probably running with a lot more mods than that, and not all the same ones.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: August 09, 2016, 11:10:33 am »

I think so far my only real complaints with FU are that there's too much stuff to keep track of (especially the gene splicing, holy shit) and some parts are just damned obscure (to change the store you're shopping at over the ansible, interact with it when you have wiring or paint mode selected...).

I'm also on my last nerve about not being able to search for crafted items by material components, but that was in the base game, too.

Fair warning, if you have something like a combustible generator with fuel in it and an activation switch, dumbass NPC's will flip the switch and waste your fuel for you.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: August 09, 2016, 11:22:17 am »

NPC's follow me periodically and close doors when I'm trying to run back and forth. I just want to lock them in a room.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: August 09, 2016, 11:29:52 am »

NPC's follow me periodically and close doors when I'm trying to run back and forth. I just want to lock them in a room.

i saw an "all doors automatically open for the player" mod somewhere.  it wasn't called exactly that, but shouldn't be hard to locate.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 130