Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441065 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1605 on: August 11, 2016, 04:33:36 am »

Sure, but fun as minecraft is I don't think 'leave it to the wiki' is a good lesson to learn from it. I've never found tabbing out from a game to go look up stuff in a wiki to add to the game's appeal, personally. And most modpacks that I've played use NEI for a reason so...

And I find even NEI isn't exactly useful for beginners. I hope someone comes out with a kind of standardized in-game manual format and that mods pick it up in order to introduce basic concepts and blocks added, especially for the complex engineering/logistics mods. The Lexica Botanica is a prime and beautiful example. Thaumcraft has a similar thing, which is a good thing since it is more obtuse than most mods (on account of its progression), but its navigation isn't as user friendly. Mods like EnderIO and IC2 are entirely wiki.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: August 11, 2016, 05:28:44 am »

Is everyone hostile?

My first couple of plays, I ran into some peaceful mushroom village.  That was cool.

But now I've gotten further, moved on to another planet, and it is SUPER DENSE with settlements.  ALL of them are kill-on-sight hostile, and I'm wondering if I've done something wrong?

First thing I ran into was an Apex Lab, absolutely giant thing.  Guard robot outside chased me, but I didn't want to do anything hostle to it so I lead it outside and snuck past.  First scientist I met drew a gun and attacked, so I ran.  Maybe it was the back door?  I'll just circle the planet and try the other side.

On the way around, I find a military prison.  Hostile, okay.

Next, haunted mansion.  Hostile, okay. 

Next, Floran something.  Hostile?  Really? 

Next, some sort of volcano base with some humans in it.  Surely THEY wont.. oh, they're attacking on sight.

Edit:

Next, looks like a crashed ship with some survivors on board.  I just have my scanner out, surely they won't attack me.  Nope, hostile.

And, finally, back around to the other side of the Apex lab.  Still hostile, even though I've been back to my ship a few times and an Internet search says that should reset hostility.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 05:49:45 am by puke »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: August 11, 2016, 05:30:55 am »

it's just random.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: August 11, 2016, 05:41:37 am »

Some settlements are hostile, some are friendly. Apex labs are always hostile, for instance.

In other news, holy crap do I love my moon colony quest rewards.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: August 11, 2016, 06:09:39 am »

-sounds like FU-
Is this FU? ._. I'm unsure how to work with Starbound mods, or on how I can backup my current file if I'd wish to be modding at all.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: August 11, 2016, 06:41:50 am »

-sounds like FU-
Is this FU? ._. I'm unsure how to work with Starbound mods, or on how I can backup my current file if I'd wish to be modding at all.

It is.  I think some of these might be stock dungeons though?  From the wiki, it looks like there is a difference between dungeons and towns?  Perhaps towns are not always hostile?

Your save is in Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\storage\player and \universe.  Back up both folders at once, perhaps?

I'm not sure how to work with mods either, there is a "mods" directory but mine is totally empty.  I've installed them all from the Steam Workshop. 

I guess FU wants both of the above directories to be fully wiped before starting a fresh game and generating a new universe.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: August 11, 2016, 06:48:42 am »

From the wiki, it looks like there is a difference between dungeons and towns?  Perhaps towns are not always hostile?

Yep. Villages are always friendly, as are various isolated NPC houses. Dungeon-type settlements such as Apex research bases, Floran hunting grounds, black Glitch castles, etc., are always hostile.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 06:54:28 am by Sordid »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: August 11, 2016, 07:34:05 am »

I've found underground research labs or something which were non-hostile and even had quests sometimes.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: August 11, 2016, 07:36:22 am »

Are you playing TU? I'm playing vanilla and so far I've only found three types of Apex settlements. Villages, which are non-hostile, above-ground research labs, which are filled with hostile Apex and captured monsters, and underground labs, which are in disrepair and filled with zombies.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: August 11, 2016, 08:19:49 am »

I've seen the aboveground apex research labs with captured creatures be friendly (vanilla)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: August 11, 2016, 10:44:48 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I started right after 1.0, and on my first dig down to hell, on my starting planet, I found a gnome biome, ice biome, and flesh biome, each with multiple distinct monsters. And I found tons of underground cabins; some in ruins, other functional with NPC's living in them, some of whom even give quests. Also I found a dungeon accessible from the surface without any digging which held the 20 core fragments I needed to complete the quest, and had a mini-boss.

It sounds to me like you are playing a very outdated version of Starbound.

i played 1.0 and just got 1.0.5

my point still exist. too much on the side of useless customization but not enough functionality. most, if not all the unique biomes in the game only reward you with furniture and cosmetics.

most minibiomes have only 1 or 2 weapons. the rest is cosmetic stuff that clutters storage for practically cero sense. and its already annoying that the weapons are rare in the first place. i've never found the gnome gun for example.

the amount of rare and unique weapons is also opaqued by RNG generic weapons that everyone can exploit right now with the T10 moons.

and even then all those randomized weapons lack variety. i hope the add more special habilities or something.

i dont know if its because im used to seeing less on the side of generic equipment and more on the side of broken as fuck stuff instead.

i mean, again, Terraria started the trend. the last common metal that you craft is gold/platinum. and its weapons are just generic without any kind of interesting deal. in fact, most of the craftable weapons lack any kind of speciality (hardmode excluded).

but then you start entering the special biomes and stuff becomes crazy. specially taking in account that the new craftables require you farm bosses.

of course there are still hundreds of unique weapons and items to be found in the underground there.

i cant feel that in Starbound. for time restrictions of the developers or anything.

no unique crafting for weapons. just generic metal stuff that will be never used because RNG generics have far more uses. even when you have to rely on luck to get the best results.

for this i say they should have sticked to the formula and add more flavor to crafting weapons and more unique weapons instead of adding procedurals to a system that really didnt need it.

heck, why even have 3 different anvil crafting stations if you're just gonna do 2 weapons? and even then they dont have any customization capabilities. that's garbage.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: August 11, 2016, 12:31:08 pm »

Got to the Asra Nox battle, only to find out that I don't jump high enough to get onto one of the things that you have to, rendering the battle impossible. Time to make some bread, I guess.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: August 11, 2016, 12:38:16 pm »

I get a lot of use out of the supper-spin alt attack on some of the 2h swords, when you need that little extra bit of jump distance.  It is almost as good as an extra double-jump.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: August 11, 2016, 12:47:17 pm »

Got to the Asra Nox battle, only to find out that I don't jump high enough to get onto one of the things that you have to, rendering the battle impossible. Time to make some bread, I guess.

outside of the high damage Asra is quite easy. the hardest attack is the ball form one because you cant dodge it so frequently. but after doing it become easy to take down. but yeah, use something to jump onto the bookcases otherwise you're wrecked.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: August 11, 2016, 12:48:14 pm »

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 130