Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 443509 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1590 on: August 10, 2016, 05:39:03 pm »

Stuff that gives you progress is highlighted in green when in scanner mode.  It looks like some folk have put together lists on the Wiki as well; basically, items strongly tied to your eventual destination will grant additional points, something like ten times the points you'd get from lesser works.  That said, you don't need those lists, since the game does highlight quest-important scanner items, and you'll be hunting around anyways even if you want them.  I suppose you could just admin-mode these items if you're fed up with hunting around for dungeons or settlements, though; picking up the items, either from storage or from outside, also gives you the same amount of progress as scanning. 

If you're curious about which items specifically help:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 05:40:53 pm by Culise »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: August 10, 2016, 06:40:57 pm »

Everyone knows that romance consists of doing a quest or two and then sex #thewitcher. I mean, is the ship supposed to represent sex??? :P

and then elfs rob you in the woods.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: August 10, 2016, 09:54:28 pm »

I'm not sure why people complain about digging for core fragments. You should be digging anyway; it's the only way you're going to find enough ore to get you started. You can find weapons and vanity items. A few times I've found oil, allowing for an early lamp on a stick.

I typically enter the Erchirus Mine with every base tech unlocked and at least a couple of found weapons, thanks to digging.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: August 10, 2016, 10:06:01 pm »

The mine is a decent enough alternative though, I did the mining facility no problem unarmored with a spear I found from the mine.

Though after that came realizing how poorly equipped I was and I went around getting myself actually properly kitted out... So in the end I guess it's better to just get digging, though DO grab the MM modules from the mine first, those help.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: August 10, 2016, 11:20:15 pm »

The only problem I've had so far is armor. Build a colony on a moon, the NPCs can drop weapons. Moons are considered tier 10, where as fiery star planets are considered tier 6. Just don't pick up any fuel and you'll be fine. Also a great way to get crew members. If you need money to get the tenant deeds, go asteroid mining and sell the ores you don't need. Once you get a refinery, just refine everything. Oh, and don't forget to bring a bunch of flags everywhere you go.
EVERYWHERE.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: August 11, 2016, 12:35:27 am »

I'm not sure why people complain about digging for core fragments. You should be digging anyway; it's the only way you're going to find enough ore to get you started. You can find weapons and vanity items. A few times I've found oil, allowing for an early lamp on a stick.

I typically enter the Erchirus Mine with every base tech unlocked and at least a couple of found weapons, thanks to digging.

the complain comes in the form that in order to get spaceborne you have to complete a quest that doesnt even give you the materials completely. no, you are obligued to reach to the planet's core in order to compensante RNGisus bullshit.

now. i wouldnt mind going the extra mile to unlock the entrance to the outpost. but seriously, the underground is boring. the ore volume in the clusters is mediocre at best. and there's not much to get your interest in digging further deep.

do you see larger amounts of metals? not unless you reach a tier 4 system at minimum

do you see unique items? rarely, the only legendary weapon i've got in my playthrought was the alien worm gun that outside of the uniqueness its completelly useless

do you see interesting landscape? barely, specially in the starting planet. guaranted to have a layer of desert and clay. but nothing more. i've seen what seems to be jungle and found a large tar biome once in a toxic planet.

the only interesting stuff on them are the blocks. no special features like underground cabins or minidungeons. that only happens on the surface biomes.

again. i dray my complains because of Terraria. you can dig and dig and dig on a terrarian world and you're guaranted to find either large clusters of ore, a unique mob with interesting drops, a minibiome with plenty of stuff to loot or a cabin with a golden chest.

sometimes you find a mushroom cavern that gives some use in the form of making second tier potions out of the mushrooms. and its unique mobs.

the mob diversity in Starbound is horrible. most of the minibiomes only have 1 unique spawn. the rest of what appears above and under are randomly generated things that dont seem to have a feature related to their respective biomes outside of color.

and all of them drop the same stuff. is it an insectoid? then hardened carapace, is it half plant? living root, i can understand the homogenity of drops due to being the same type of monsters but at least the unique mobs should drop something that makes the biome worth looking for.

most of the time you find just a chest sitting there with randomize loot that its either cosmetic and useless, or its furniture that its also useless unless you want an specific colonists, which i doubt will be of help to your mission.

so yeah, there's plenty of stuff that should be fixed or expanded regarding the underground.

the game may entice the player to explore other worlds. but whats the point of it if every planet has the same boring stuff under its crust? you enjoy more travelling on the surface and going all the way around finding crops and settlements than trying to find stuff underground.

the only reason i go to the depths is for metals, because buying them from the Ursa shop is expensive and pixels are a pain to obtain if you dont do missions or loot everything on sight.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: August 11, 2016, 12:51:51 am »

I've found some neat stuff underground. Found a crystal mini-biome on one planet. Not sure if the crystal is good for anything other than its basic form, but it looks neat. Had some interesting campsite nearby with a vendor and below that an Avian tomb which I plundered for interesting building materials.

Another planet had a series of underground temple things with chests up on top of pillars and a bunch of guys guarding it. That planet also had a huge Avian temple thing which I haven't fully explored, but takes up a lot of space and goes down pretty deep. It also had some interesting glowing water underneath it.

Granted, none of this is super exciting nor did I get anything particularly great out of it, but it did spice things up a bit. So while I do agree with you overall I think a lot of the focus of the game is more on building still and less on the plot. The plot seems to be more of a way to get you to progress through the game and have a little bit of direction, rather than being the purpose of the game as a whole.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: August 11, 2016, 02:18:05 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I started right after 1.0, and on my first dig down to hell, on my starting planet, I found a gnome biome, ice biome, and flesh biome, each with multiple distinct monsters. And I found tons of underground cabins; some in ruins, other functional with NPC's living in them, some of whom even give quests. Also I found a dungeon accessible from the surface without any digging which held the 20 core fragments I needed to complete the quest, and had a mini-boss.

It sounds to me like you are playing a very outdated version of Starbound.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1598 on: August 11, 2016, 02:23:54 am »

I started right after 1.0, and on my first dig down to hell, on my starting planet, I found a gnome biome, ice biome, and flesh biome, each with multiple distinct monsters. And I found tons of underground cabins; some in ruins, other functional with NPC's living in them, some of whom even give quests. Also I found a dungeon accessible from the surface without any digging which held the 20 core fragments I needed to complete the quest, and had a mini-boss.

It sounds to me like you are playing a very outdated version of Starbound.

Yeah, I've had similar experiences, with plenty enough to keep me interested and always enough shards in the mine. I've never had to dig to the core for anything. Maybe the RNG just hates you - in which case, you're fully justified in just spawning in the shards and skipping to the part that interests you. If I had to start over again at this point, after four times doing it the long way, I would definitely cheat through all the starting stuff and get to the exploration part that I really enjoy.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: August 11, 2016, 02:28:00 am »

I've about run my course with FU. It's a good ride, but the game itself is missing enough quality of life features combined with crafting small parts to craft medium parts to craft big parts to craft REALLY EXPENSIVE parts to craft useful stuff is burning me out here.

Oh and the plain boring-ass main plot to look forward to grinding out.

Still highly recommend the mod though. Maybe things would be a lot different if I hadn't played a few times in EA. *shrug*
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: August 11, 2016, 03:17:21 am »

Stuff that gives you progress is highlighted in green when in scanner mode.  <snip>
If you're curious about which items specifically help:

Thats great, thanks!

Once you get a refinery, just refine everything.

For the most part, it seems like you can just bring stuff to the science base to use the facilities there.  Heck, I use the kitchen stove at the outpost for any advanced cooking I need.  Or is the science base not stock?  Maybe it came from a mod?

Oh, and don't forget to bring a bunch of flags everywhere you go.
EVERYWHERE.

OMG you can teleport with flags?  I thought they were just for decoration, so I never looked them up on the wiki or bothered to craft one!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 03:24:50 am by puke »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: August 11, 2016, 03:28:04 am »

OMG you can teleport with flags?  I thought they were just for decoration, so I never looked them up on the wiki or bothered to craft one!
Glorious nationalism will conquer the universe for you. Plant those flags.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1602 on: August 11, 2016, 03:29:53 am »

I've about run my course with FU. It's a good ride, but the game itself is missing enough quality of life features combined with crafting small parts to craft medium parts to craft big parts to craft REALLY EXPENSIVE parts to craft useful stuff is burning me out here.

Oh and the plain boring-ass main plot to look forward to grinding out.

Still highly recommend the mod though. Maybe things would be a lot different if I hadn't played a few times in EA. *shrug*

Ah, I'm still enjoying FU. I think it helps that I don't have much time to play, so I can't just blow through all the content. I settle in for an hour or two, not even every day, then I have other things I have to do. So I'm getting it in bits and pieces. Today I'm looking forward to going back to that Trantor planet and doing some serious mining for resources. I can't believe how much iron and titanium I found right next to the surface without mining, and I'm curious what kind of biomes are deeper down. I wonder how it would work if I put a colony on there? Rebuilding on the ruins of the old society? Put down some soil, build a protective dome against the weather, and construct a bucolic utopia in the middle of the ruins? Plus I just discovered that bees are a thing and I want to investigate that. And I haven't at all gotten into all the techy machines FU adds. And I haven't even gotten around to building a vanilla colony or a proper farm. There's so much to do and at the pace I'm able to play, it will take ages to explore it all. Without FU I'd probably get bored pretty quickly, but with it, I'm looking forward to many hours of enjoyment.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: August 11, 2016, 03:32:00 am »

For the most part, it seems like you can just bring stuff to the science base to use the facilities there.  Heck, I use the kitchen stove at the outpost for any advanced cooking I need.  Or is the science base not stock?  Maybe it came from a mod?

The science base is from Frackin Universe, the Outpost is stock. You want to start crafting the stations at the base anyway because the stations themselves unlock crafting recipes that let you keep advancing through the mod. If you're ever in doubt in FU, just try crafting a component or object you haven't made yourself yet, you might be surprised.

Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: August 11, 2016, 04:32:32 am »

Ah, I'm still enjoying FU.

There's a lot of interesting stuff there. I'm just... after a while getting shit done takes too long.

Oh you want to craft a shiny new gun? It needs some <fancy part>s. <fancy part> is made up of 6 different components which each have 3 components which come from raw materials that are at one of  your stations, maybe. Oh, I need a power core, which needs metal bars, rank 3 microchips which need rank 2 microchips which need even more rank 1 microchips which all need silicon, then combine those and I can make the power cell from chemistry components which needs a different station than the silicon. Then I need some fancy ore which needs 4 other components which don't work at the fancy smelter so... you get the idea.

And I gave up on gene splicing altogether. Way too much hassle past the utter rudimentary freebies.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 130