Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 439276 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1620 on: August 11, 2016, 12:58:09 pm »

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: August 11, 2016, 03:56:27 pm »

Here's what I do for weapons, since people are complaining about those:

Make things interesting, or RP if you want. Let's say you're a Glitch Peasant, for example. Let's also assume you're afraid of whips, and don't know how to use any type of gun. That limits you to melee weapons, and a few things, like boomerangs or chakrams. Or, pretend you're a novakid cowboy, and only use duel-wielded pistols. That limits you a lot on what you can use, but it also means you can still craft weapons if you need.

As a side note, all bosses drop weapons. All of them. My favorite is the one from the Hylotl quest, because it's a pretty awesome katana. Sure, there's some better weapons in the game, but it's cool to have a sword that lights up when you swing it and lets you throw kunai.

Oh, and if you're looking for something specific, go Here. While it's not %100 accurate, it's pretty good.

Honestly though, to me this isn't a game to be played alone. Yeah, it can be fun every now and then, being the sole explorer, discovering the hidden treasures of the universe. But it's so much better with friends. You can do missions together, explore, be a squad of penguins with rainbow swords that cut holes in the universe, build a civilization spanning a world, or whatever else you can imagine, and it's just so much better when your friends are there to help you do it. Because, if you think about it, isn't that why we have a forum? To talk to our friends about things that interest us? Don't we already play games together, this one's just a bit more fast-paced than most?
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: August 11, 2016, 04:31:49 pm »

The fact that the big + button to invite another player to the game is present on the screen at all times would support the notion that this is a game intended to be played with friends. On the other hand, though, I don't put much stock into the "it's better with friends" line of thinking. That's true of almost anything. If the main argument for why a game should be played is that it's fun with friends, to me that just means the game doesn't really have anything else going for it. And if you're going to be spending time with friends, wouldn't it be better to play a game that's actually good? If playing with friends makes a mediocre game good, then surely it makes a good game great?

Oh, and as for Nox' katana, I didn't get the drop but did get a good chuckle during the fight. I only did that mission once I was at top-tier equipment and had the violium broadsword, you see. So my reaction to her pulling that thing out was along the lines of, "Oh, you have a lightsaber? WELL GUESS WHAT, SO DO I! Bring it!" :P It's my favorite fight in the game simply due to the fact that with the correct equipment it's a lightsaber duel.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 05:10:59 pm by Sordid »

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: August 11, 2016, 05:12:28 pm »

If the main argument for why a game should be played is that it's fun with friends, to me that just means the game doesn't really have anything else going for it. And if you're going to be spending time with friends, wouldn't it be better to play a game that's actually good? If playing with friends makes a mediocre game good, then surely it makes a good game great?

I dunno, I like certain games much better for coop than others. I'd never want to play through Deus Ex on coop, for example. :P

Starbound is also fun in single player, from my experience. That's where I've spent most of my time. But I also don't have much time to game these days so I don't burn out as fast.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: August 11, 2016, 10:21:40 pm »

My favorite thing to do singleplayer is explore random planets and put what's on them on the website I linked in my last post. Useful if I want to find something later, and it feels like I'm a space pioneer helping to catalog what's on planets and stuff. I dunno, really. I've just always had more fun playing starbound with friends. It's less about what's actually in the game with us, and more about who can collect the most interesting stuff. Until one of my friends ship randomly reset, in which case the game is now basically "find stuff for my friend to drag them back to where they were." I've always been one that enjoys helping people start from scratch though, so while I find it fun, most people would probably find it annoying and give up at that point :I
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: August 12, 2016, 07:47:48 am »

So, how do you make those meteor-proof moon bases? 

I read somewhere it was possible, but everything I find suggests otherwise.

I'm reading that that no material is impervious to them, and that they spawn at the screen edge so that even if you go underground or line your base with obsidian or blaststone, you will still have them spawining inside your base.

is this right?  How are you all making your moon bases?

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: August 12, 2016, 08:04:47 am »

If you build small base deep underground (with other blocks all around), you will practically never have to worry about meteors. At least that works in my case.
As for building shielding: I have heard that SPOILER block is hardest obtainable block in game. Keep in mind that you need at least 2 blocks of space between shielding and actual base.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: August 12, 2016, 08:05:08 am »

To be deleted, double post.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: August 12, 2016, 08:08:09 am »

If you build small base deep underground (with other blocks all around), you will practically never have to worry about meteors. At least that works in my case.

So meteors dont spawn at the screen edge, within your base?  And the surface of the planetoid isnt gradually eroded to nothing?

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: August 12, 2016, 08:41:30 am »

I have my base (well, just 10 tenant tube farm, my main base is on barren world) barely over bedrock with ton of blocks over and around. Nothing ever got broken, not even blocks on top of it. I'm not sure if weather is simulated if you are offworld or even not in top layer. Maybe simply not enough time passed.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: August 12, 2016, 08:42:51 am »

So meteors dont spawn at the screen edge, within your base?  And the surface of the planetoid isnt gradually eroded to nothing?
It actually spawns in OPEN SPACE, which means that even background blocks...block meteors. :3
I decorated my moonbase with glass blocks as the background because it both looks like our dear Luna, and the planet in the background looks like Earth...in memory of Earth. ;~;7 It's just located under a nice, small natural hill of moondust, so the sight is spectacular!
But yeah, these weather effects spawn in open space, I noticed that because I forgot to glass block off an area, and then BOOM went the meteors after some time, opening a hole in my base, and making some tenants grumpy until I quick-teleported back to my ship to get the requisite lunar base blocks to repair the hole. :P
And no--as far as I know, weather only affects the general screen area (and a bit more) in your locality.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: August 12, 2016, 11:18:53 am »

Haha, so I guess I didn't need to dig down to the core of the moon just then.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: August 12, 2016, 11:28:57 am »

Question: Do the ghosts come after you if you've mined fuel on the moon before, or only if you mine it on your current stay?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: August 12, 2016, 11:30:37 am »

The ghosts come after you depending on how much erchius is in your inventory, no matter where you mined it or how much you mined this time.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1634 on: August 12, 2016, 11:31:27 am »

What if you bring a box with you and put it down in the world and stash all the fuel in the box
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 130