Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1495223 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Netflix and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #9480 on: January 11, 2016, 01:06:54 pm »

That's exactly the sort of thing you'd say on opposite day.
You are exactly right. Now, does that clear all that up? I am absolutely in favor of shipping and 1 + 1 = 2 is true.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9481 on: January 11, 2016, 01:18:41 pm »

Hard to make a pantheon if it's just one guy with a bunch of alts.

Sure there is, just adopt a subordinatist theology.  First there existed Grisha.  Grisha created Toady to watch over the forums.  Toady was equal in power and divinity to Grisha but was created by him so was distinct.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9482 on: January 11, 2016, 01:25:41 pm »

That's exactly the sort of thing you'd say on opposite day.
You are exactly right. Now, does that clear all that up? I am absolutely in favor of shipping and 1 + 1 = 2 is true.
How dare you disagree with me??!

Sure there is, just adopt a subordinatist theology.  First there existed Grisha.  Grisha created Toady to watch over the forums.  Toady was equal in power and divinity to Grisha but was created by him so was distinct.
Ah, the ever-famous "begotten of himself". In the name of the Dev, the Brother, and the Holy Shitposter. Amen.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9483 on: January 11, 2016, 02:39:19 pm »

Well, the "now I'm depressed" part was more in referring that I started thinking about the economy after the movie, and realized that we're in for another recession soon.

A recession is always possible but I'd say it's much less likely then usual right now in North America.  The great recession made people risk averse and there is a lot of overdue investment.  Europe will continue to be a drag on the economy but the US economy has been growing in spite of that for a long time.  Chinese imports from the US aren't a big enough factor to derail the US economy for more then perhaps a quarter unless there is a truly epic meltdown like a civil war.  Plus a slowdown in Chinese manufacturing means cheap commodities which is a boost for the American economy.

You know, what with the tech bubble and the Vancouver housing bubble which I'm not entirely sure are unrelated (the housing bubble in Canada is primarily the cause of Chinese investors worrying about the instability of the yuan and investing money elsewhere in a more stable medium i.e. Canadian property; the tech bubble is overzealous investors creating an ever-growing pool of "unicorns" or billion-dollar evaluations for companies that wind up not turning a dime in profit).

I am not closely familiar with this but my quick googling indicates to me a 30% increase over 3 years for Vancouver prices.  While that is a rapid expansion, it's not so rapid that it couldn't reflect an increase in demand rather then a bubble.  And it's not terribly unlikely to think that prices were low 3 years ago so this just represents a price correction.  For instance if we compare this series:
https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/ATNHPIUS38900Q# (not just vancouver but it's longer term for best I could find quickly).
Compare the gains of the past 12 years to the 12 years before that.
2015-07-01   250.36
2003-07-01   153.19
1991-07-01   75.01

Past 12 years, increase by %63.4
12 before that, increase by %104.2

So the gains are not outlandish in the context of a strengthening economy.  Furthermore we have strong anecdotal evidence for where the demand is coming from, a tech sector that is hiring yuppies and chinese people with money.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 02:41:31 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9484 on: January 11, 2016, 02:43:50 pm »

I welcome our new crypto-Arian theocratic overlords.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #9485 on: January 11, 2016, 05:26:07 pm »

crypto-dorf?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9486 on: January 11, 2016, 06:31:36 pm »

make america mugs again

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9487 on: January 11, 2016, 06:52:49 pm »

make america mugs again
Urist McTrump cancels craft stone mugs: interrupted by bald eagle.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9488 on: January 11, 2016, 07:29:18 pm »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/paul-fiorina-excluded-from-main-stage-in-thursdays-gop-debate-217594

So, yeah, it's narrowing somewhat at least. Rand Paul said that he won't attend the undercard debate, his loss.

Also, is it wrong to want to see Fiorina's reaction to being dumped back into the undercard? XD

Oh yeah, in RCP and HuffingtonPost's averages, Kasich is actually behind Paul and Fiorina, nationally anyway. The lineup hasn't been officially announced yet I don't think, dunno.

Also, I may have heard that Paul would drop out if he went back to the undercard, or maybe it just sounded to me like he was implying 'I quit'. *shrug*

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9489 on: January 11, 2016, 07:30:14 pm »

So who is still a serious contender? Trump, Carson, Cruz?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9490 on: January 11, 2016, 07:30:43 pm »

All I know is that Sanders is finally ahead of Clinton in Iowa. Within the statistical mean but Sanders' support has only been growing.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9491 on: January 11, 2016, 07:49:32 pm »

All I know is that Sanders is finally ahead of Clinton in Iowa. Within the statistical mean but Sanders' support has only been growing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9492 on: January 11, 2016, 07:57:51 pm »

So who is still a serious contender? Trump, Carson, Cruz?
Trump is still going strong, Cruz is second behind Trump, last I heard about Carson he was dropping out and his supporters were going to Cruz instead.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9493 on: January 11, 2016, 08:01:17 pm »

I don't think he's dropped out yet, although he's probably seriously considering it. Can't happen soon enough. The things he says and the way he says them drive me absolutely bonkers, he's so out of his depth. Trump may be scum but at least the way he projects himself doesn't make me want to cover my face like Carson does. (The way he projects. What he actually says is still cause for covering the face in shame.)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 08:03:47 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9494 on: January 11, 2016, 08:06:32 pm »

Trump is still going strong, Cruz is second behind Trump, last I heard about Carson he was dropping out and his supporters were going to Cruz instead.

Has he?  If so this will blow the predictions game wide open.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 1342