Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491450 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer!
« Reply #375 on: March 05, 2016, 03:25:01 pm »

He also apparently doesn't realize there already exist mods that remove that limit.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 05, 2016, 06:23:23 pm »

I thought he was talking about skins or something, I didn't even realize there was a limit because most of those tend to be ones you didn't want to mass regardless.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 05, 2016, 08:23:54 pm »

He also apparently doesn't realize there already exist mods that remove that limit.
If you know of any, please tell.
I searched through the whole steam workshop, so I presume you mean something on nexus?

What?

It's an incredibly garbled explanation and I'm not sure I understand it either.  Certain powerful units are limited in the number you can have at once to help maintain some form of balance.  BFEL seems to have taken great offence at this and I think s/he made a disastrous attempt at modding that out, breaking the game in the process due to not really knowing what they were doing.  Through some undisclosed and presumably tortuous inner logic, this is somehow the developer's fault.

Is that the gist of it?
I'm mad because I PAID EXTRA MONEY for those units, and while they ARE more powerful, they are balanced in game already with higher costs and requiring specialized facilities. I'll concede that the limit makes sense in MULTIPLAYER, which is presumably why the devs put it in at all, but it makes them effectively useless in the single player campaign.
I shouldn't have to explain how a 4 unit limit is a bad thing in a Total War game, where you'll be deploying hundreds of units before you even start blobbing.

While my disastrous modding attempt didn't break anything (I conceded defeat when I straight up didn't know where anything was.), for me the game is ALREADY broken due to this, and I can't bring myself to start up a game of it while it's in place.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 05, 2016, 08:28:04 pm »

Unit limits are sensible, especially if there might be historical or lore reasons for their limited numbers. That way you save them for the biggest, most important battles where they'll make more of an impact.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 05, 2016, 08:29:33 pm »

Unit limits are sensible, especially if there might be historical or lore reasons for their limited numbers. That way you save them for the biggest, most important battles where they'll make more of an impact.

Which frankly... there isn't :P

The limits are just for gameplay reasons alone.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 05, 2016, 08:31:54 pm »

Which is still fine.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 05, 2016, 08:36:35 pm »

Which is still fine.
Say that AFTER blowing three bucks on your arbitrarily limited units.
I posted it in this thread because you never know if something similar will happen to the Chaos DLC in Warhammer, we'll see how fine it is when suddenly the best units are totally useless because theres one of them for every forty million other troops.

Indeed, I do this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 05, 2016, 08:39:00 pm »

Basically the unit is so limited and requires such lengths to get to...

Its existence essentially becomes cosmetic.

I mean these are HARDLY the Sword Saints.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 05, 2016, 08:44:49 pm »

Basically the unit is so limited and requires such lengths to get to...

Its existence essentially becomes cosmetic.

I mean these are HARDLY the Sword Saints.
And this is why I'm mad.
I bought the pack hoping for some new units I could build interesting strategies around, and what I got was a couple reskins that I could see once a month.

Indeed, I do this.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 05, 2016, 09:11:28 pm »

Which is still fine.
Say that AFTER blowing three bucks on your arbitrarily limited units.
I posted it in this thread because you never know if something similar will happen to the Chaos DLC in Warhammer, we'll see how fine it is when suddenly the best units are totally useless because theres one of them for every forty million other troops.

Might be, as a fan of Warhammer lore it'd be baffling to see for example more Grail Knights then Knights of the Realm or Knights Errant or Demigryphs all over for Empire.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 05, 2016, 09:25:51 pm »

People are unsure at the moment whether unit limits will be in Warhammer: Total War. From screenshots, we've seen armies with around 3 units of Big Un's (Something you can get one of on tabletop, I think), several units of longbeards and so on.

I don't think the army composition like in tabletop will be present, such as Bretonnians having to take a banner bearer or Skaven having to attach weapon teams to clanrat squads. Whether the limitations will be present on special or rare units like trolls, giants, slayers, ironbreakers, organ guns and so on I don't know but it seems like there won't be.

It's not an issue to me really. Just because I could build an army of Big Un's doesn't mean I will. If elite units are rarer I usually just build less of them compared to the basic infantry or what not.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 05, 2016, 09:27:38 pm »

But it would still be nice to have the OPTION of spamming them if you want to during your own single player game right?

Indeed, I do this.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 05, 2016, 09:32:13 pm »

Why should it be an option?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 05, 2016, 09:45:15 pm »

If you like to, I would like you to have the ability to do so.

It's just for me the theme of the army is more appealing than the functionality. Most of the time they both coincide with a balanced force (4 velites, 2 slingers, 6 Hastati, 2 Principe, 1 Triarii, 2 Equites, 2 wardogs and general) but an army that was made up of Urban Cohorts or Praetorian guards just looks weird to me and I wouldn't do that. I might have 1 or 2 of them but since they're elite I wouldn't build an army of them.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 05, 2016, 09:48:47 pm »

Velites? Psh, everyone knows archers are the superior ranged units.
:P

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 277