Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491331 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer!
« Reply #390 on: March 05, 2016, 09:49:11 pm »

Because its FUN? Y'know that entire reason games exist?
Doesn't even have to be PRACTICAL.
Plenty games balance awesome units with high maintenence costs and the like, and it fucking works, so WHY THE HELL SHOULDN'T IT BE AN OPTION?

Might as well ask "why should it be an option to actually CONTROL your units when the computer could probably do better"

If you like to, I would like you to have the ability to do so.

It's just for me the theme of the army is more appealing than the functionality. Most of the time they both coincide with a balanced force (4 velites, 2 slingers, 6 Hastati, 2 Principe, 1 Triarii, 2 Equites, 2 wardogs and general) but an army that was made up of Urban Cohorts or Praetorian guards just looks weird to me and I wouldn't do that. I might have 1 or 2 of them but since they're elite I wouldn't build an army of them.
Also this. You should have the option of building your army the way you want. If you somehow figure out a way to build a functioning army out of a single elite unit type you should be able to.
I'm not saying it should be easy or unbalanced, I'm just saying I WANT TO BE ABLE TO TRY.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 05, 2016, 10:02:10 pm »

You're the type of person who gives themselves unlimited resources, aren't you?

High-tier elite units should be the shock troops, the special ops of your armies in games like Total War. If a game devolves to each side spamming top-level units at each other much of the tactical goodness is lost and, frankly, the game becomes less fun.

Look at Dawn of War, for example. Each army has ultimate units that they typically only get one of at a time. These things cause dread in the enemy and are capable of wiping the floor with lesser units, to the point where only specialized grunts, or superior numbers of high-tier units, or other ultimates can take them down.
Once you mod it to remove the unit caps however...every match eventually gets to the point where for many armies there's zero point in building anything but ultimates. They're just that good. The specialized grunts tend to be fragile and the non-ultimate elites often have their own caps. Having an army of Baneblades go up against an army of Monoliths is cool at first but you quickly realize that much of the fun is gone. The game becomes a spamfest where whoever can pump out ultimate units the fastest, wins.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 05, 2016, 10:54:12 pm »

ITT: Evidence that games can not cater to everyone, and people getting mad about it

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 05, 2016, 10:57:19 pm »

This was arguably the case for earlier versions of Age of Wonders 3 - the top-tier units available were too much better than lower tier units and too easily spammed, resulting in any medium/long length game devolving into armies of nothing but ultimate units fighting it out. Gameplay suffered as players were effectively forced to ignore nearly all the units in their roster.

On the other hand, if I recall correctly the devs were able to deal with that through a mix of buffing the weaker units and making it tougher to buy & maintain the top-tiers. That is, I don't think they ever put in a unit cap. It was still possible to end up with too many in large worlds / long games (where the resources necessary to raise those sorts of armies was possible), but it wasn't as common as before.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 05, 2016, 11:23:44 pm »

What the fuck is even going on in this thread.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 06, 2016, 01:23:46 am »

You're the type of person who gives themselves unlimited resources, aren't you?
No I'm the type of person who, if they manage to earn large amounts of resources, actually expects to be able to spend those on what I feel will work best for me.
If I've gained enough resources to afford to spam my shock troops/spec ops, I should damn well be able to do that.

Total War is hardly the type of game where using one type of unit is going to break all the things. Are certain units better then others? Most definately! Are there suddenly no uses for other units because of that? No.

A few posts ago you criticized (jokingly granted) Mech#4 for using velites instead of archers, because archers are better. Doesn't stop Mech from having fun deploying those inferior units does it?
So why should those who like to deploy the superior units have their hands slapped? Would you like to play where you can only recruit 4 archers because they happen to be better then velites?

Perhaps you feel we should just do away with the player choosing their army composition altogether? Because that's where this arbitrary limiting is headed.
Silly player trying to actually develop a strategy or mess around, go back in your hole and command the armys we tell you to.

I've noted MULTIPLE TIMES already that I'm not asking for some be all end all units. I've noted that I feel that superior units should be balanced by expenses to set up and maintain.
There definately should be times where you have to send out inferior units because you just can't afford anything else, but those situations should arise organically in the gameplay, not be shoehorned in by the developer.

Indeed, I do this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 06, 2016, 01:30:13 am »

Guys seriously...

This is about the game giving artificial limitations on units for no other reason then to put artificial limitations.

Sure it would be weird to have super elite units make up an entire army all over the world... but you know what? They limit that by price, availability (Can't hatch Griffons everywhere), and training times.

Instead the game is going "Nope you have four griffon lances and that is all you can ever get until they die. Why? PSH because F-U that is why."

It is to me the game breaking its own rules arbitrarily. It sounds like someone's lousy mod rather then official DLC.

Sure it doesn't bug me as much, because it was rip off DLC and I knew it was rip off DLC, but I at least recognize that it is a flaw.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 01:32:33 am by Neonivek »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 06, 2016, 01:32:05 am »

Oh no, Neonivek supports me.

My arguement is doomed :P

still waiting on you to link the mod that makes everything all better btw.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 01:34:18 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 06, 2016, 01:47:35 am »

I dunno I feel it is more a misunderstanding then a real argument.

They think you are arguing about having limitations because your a whiny baby who has no life and probably cries whenever his lollypop gets sand on it.

I think you are arguing about having artificial limitations for something you had to pay extra for in and out of game.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 06, 2016, 01:54:08 am »

I think you are arguing about having artificial limitations for something you had to pay extra for in and out of game.
THANK YOU.

And just to be super extra clear the last post was a joke. Thanks Neo.

Indeed, I do this.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 06, 2016, 02:13:48 am »

Ask nicely and don't make a grammatical error.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 06, 2016, 02:57:40 am »

Could you please find it in your heart to link the mod that would make me not a ball of hatred?

Indeed, I do this.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 06, 2016, 03:37:07 am »

Could you please find it in your heart to link the mod that would make me not a ball of hatred?
No.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 06, 2016, 03:38:45 am »

This... This isn't even about Warhammer.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 06, 2016, 04:01:27 am »

@BFEL: Here is a mod that removes unit limits for Shogun 2, including Rise and Fall of the Samurai. I haven't used it myself so I cannot say whether it works or not, but it seems to have last been updated last year so it should be fine.

There is not much more information about Warhammer: Total War to cover at this point. There was an event that several people attended to play through the "Ambush at the Thundering Falls" battle and I did see one person mention they also got to see the Greenskins vs Bretonnia battle again, at a higher graphical level than what was shown in the recent video.

Other than that, the next big information thing should be on or around the 15th of March which is when people are expecting the first information about the Vampire Counts to be divulged.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 04:05:44 am by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 277