Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 489146 times)

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer!
« Reply #465 on: April 07, 2016, 03:34:52 pm »

I have no clue why I missed that, rewatched it and heard it early on...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 08, 2016, 12:39:17 pm »

In anticipation of Warhammer, I went and started up Rome 2 again after... a year? Year and a half?

Man, there's so much more stuff now. Just in historical battles alone there's at least 2 to 3 times more content. I swear to god Rome 2 only launched with 3 historical battles and they were shit. I don't even have any of the DLC. And there's actual good mods for it that don't crash constantly.

Why do we even buy these games at launch?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 08, 2016, 10:59:41 pm »

It'll be nice to see a chaos campaign vod. Even if they're generically "hitty", having marks and enough different playstyles or bonuses from them may actually pique my interest in pre-ordering. I'll be getting the game at some point, but I'm not sure if Chaos is worth the CA pre-order horror. I didn't even play Rome 2, and even I remember it.....

But if it's like the "kinda 4 armies in one, or flavour to taste" of 6th edition WH, then I'd probably pay the CA tax, knowing they'll be good eventually (as well as the rest of the game). A few little daemon units would be the clincher (so yeah, just like 6th ed Chaos, but with marauder marks too).

You can see that the models aren't complete yet (only 1-2 variations a unit for some), so I assume they'll get better. But until I see a campaign, no chance of pre-ordering. They might not be chaos'y enough to sell my soul for.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 11:01:58 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 08, 2016, 11:02:58 pm »

In anticipation of Warhammer, I went and started up Rome 2 again after... a year? Year and a half?

Man, there's so much more stuff now. Just in historical battles alone there's at least 2 to 3 times more content. I swear to god Rome 2 only launched with 3 historical battles and they were shit. I don't even have any of the DLC. And there's actual good mods for it that don't crash constantly.

Why do we even buy these games at launch?

Because we grew up in an era where games were released complete on launch rather than left purposefully unfinished.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 08, 2016, 11:17:46 pm »

When did you grow up? I grew up at a time that games were released broken and buggy as shit, and never got patched. And if they did, you still had to buy a $10 pc mag for the coverdisc with the patch on it.

Now they're purposefully released unfinished and broken, but they usually get patched within a few months, for whatever your internet d/l fees cost (cheap).

I'm not sure if that's better or worse. I wish I grew up in magic-happy-funland time though. Computer game journalists were probably even honest and well informed and not getting paid to give a positive review in that time/place/myth-that-never-happened.

Ah, nostalgia......
It's a game. Have fun.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 08, 2016, 11:26:37 pm »

When did you grow up? I grew up at a time that games were released broken and buggy as shit, and never got patched. And if they did, you still had to buy a $10 pc mag for the coverdisc with the patch on it.

Now they're purposefully released unfinished and broken, but they usually get patched within a few months, for whatever your internet d/l fees cost (cheap).

I'm not sure if that's better or worse. I wish I grew up in magic-happy-funland time though. Computer game journalists were probably even honest and well informed and not getting paid to give a positive review in that time/place/myth-that-never-happened.

Ah, nostalgia......

Uhh, the late 90s-early 00s... So ya, things were generally complete as far as I can remember, and if they weren't they were quickly patched.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 09, 2016, 01:23:04 am »

Basically the time between where high speed internet was broadly available, and before marketing came upmwith the idea of DLC mini updates in place of expansion packs.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 09, 2016, 05:43:04 am »

Let's take Doom and Quake as examples, both excellent games. Both incomplete at release, since you had to pay extra for the full game (since they were episodic). Sounds like proto-DLC to me.

Stuff was just as bad in the 00s and 90s, just in different ways. Be glad that AAA companies can no longer get away with completely shit launches (see Batman Arkham Knight).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 09, 2016, 06:51:21 am »

For Doom...
The first episode was released for free.
Then you could buy the full game, which added another two episodes.
The expansion added another two, I think?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 09, 2016, 07:02:18 am »

Let's take Doom and Quake as examples, both excellent games. Both incomplete at release, since you had to pay extra for the full game (since they were episodic). Sounds like proto-DLC to me.

That is because they were released in the age of Share-ware and they were essentially demos. Albeit many times more awesome then demos today... and more so they were free in that form.

---

As opposed to say Rome 2 total war. Which was released unfinished because they didn't want to put it through an appropriate amount of development cycle to ensure that it was finished and non-glitch... Mostly so they could get the money immediately with a option to stop development if the game is less popular then they would have liked.

And YEAH... old games did often come out with glitches (see one of the Ultima 8 and 9 for proof of that) but they RARELY did it on purpose and were NEVER forgiven for it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 07:05:08 am by Neonivek »

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 09, 2016, 07:24:33 am »

..What company intentionally adds glitches to their games?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 09, 2016, 09:25:09 am »

The event at Rezzed has been and gone. If you saw my earlier post you can read the slides that were shown during the presentation in the linked PDF.

The event is up on YouTube and linked in the thread above on the second page. There is a bit of footage of a siege between defending Vampire Counts and Chaos Warriors showing the A.I. grouping units for different assaults, reassigning units if one approach doesn't work and waiting back to knock holes in walls before sending units forwards and through. Siege footage is around 40 minutes into the video.

Interesting to note is that the Chaos Warrior army includes Chaos Spawn which is the first time they've been shown.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 09, 2016, 10:36:45 am »

The event at Rezzed has been and gone. If you saw my earlier post you can read the slides that were shown during the presentation in the linked PDF.

The event is up on YouTube and linked in the thread above on the second page. There is a bit of footage of a siege between defending Vampire Counts and Chaos Warriors showing the A.I. grouping units for different assaults, reassigning units if one approach doesn't work and waiting back to knock holes in walls before sending units forwards and through. Siege footage is around 40 minutes into the video.

Interesting to note is that the Chaos Warrior army includes Chaos Spawn which is the first time they've been shown.
This is the link mentioned by Mech#4

Keep in mind they talk about a lot of technical stuff.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 09, 2016, 02:18:56 pm »

Those Hellcannons or whatever on the Chaos side in that video around the 44.00 mark look really, really Slaneeshi.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 12, 2016, 09:59:47 am »

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 277