Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 489174 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer!
« Reply #570 on: April 27, 2016, 06:54:04 pm »

There is no mod support because GW hates mods. That said, in the official wiki at the end of each of the 4 base factions' rosters there's a note saying more units will be added as free-LC. And in the free-LC plan thingy, the first to be released will be a unit (to VC, based on the background of the picture? I hope it's Blood Knights.).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 27, 2016, 07:51:07 pm »

There is no mod support because GW hates mods. That said, in the official wiki at the end of each of the 4 base factions' rosters there's a note saying more units will be added as free-LC. And in the free-LC plan thingy, the first to be released will be a unit (to VC, based on the background of the picture? I hope it's Blood Knights.).

I think TW:WH is a different case. GW didn't like things that potentially ate into model sales, or into getting license fees from part II of a series. WH is dead, they're fine with CA having plenty of creative freedom, so it's up to CA on whether they're fine with modding in general. Modding WH related stuff doesn't take a single cent out of GW's pocket (WH is dead TT/sale/model-wise), and good mods might even sell a few more TW copies for the brand. It's CA's call, not GW's on this one. They stand to lose DLC sales if a mod already covers that, or does it better.

For pump wagons, the basic mechanics are already there for cool pump wagons. Winds of Magic "pulsing" UI elements, with moving safety thresholds being depleted for speed boosts, and ever increasing chances of damage. Walk/march/charge lowering or recharging available "winds" and safety margins (so go too fast for too long and you'll crash/cop damage, and they're not too sturdy to begin with). PoV for racing/fun. Cooldown "skills" for jumps, spores, and maybe handbrake turns, all lowering the safety threshhold for a while, but letting you be "Snotling Awesome" at key times. Unit upgrades for the damage upgrades.

It just depends on whether we can get access to them. Hacking in a restatted chariot with a different model will probably be pretty easy. But making it fun and unique isn't out of the question, it just depends on how hard it will be. Can't wait to peruse those game files.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:15:03 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 27, 2016, 07:54:36 pm »

I think TW:WH is a different case. GW didn't like things that potentially ate into model sales, or into getting license fees from part II of a series. WH is dead, they're fine with CA having plenty of creative freedom, so it's up to CA on whether they're fine with modding in general. Modding WH related stuff doesn't take a single cent out of GW's pocket (WH is dead TT/sale/model-wise), and good mods might even sell a few more TW copies for the brand. It's CA's call, not GW's on this one. They stand to lose DLC sales if a mod already covers that, or does it better.
No, it's GW's call. CA has explicitly stated that GW wants no mod support, so no mod support.

I'm not saying there won't be mods. After all, Dawn of War was heavily modded and also suffered under GW's no-mod policy. Just, not everyone will be able to do it.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 29, 2016, 07:35:30 am »

It occurs to me that with this endtimes bit and the suuden sluge of digital games that I may be learning about a dead tabletop :|
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 29, 2016, 07:36:47 am »

So the chaos warrior DLC will be free for the first week, which is awesome.  I wanted to wait to see if they had a good launch.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 29, 2016, 08:13:37 am »

So the chaos warrior DLC will be free for the first week, which is awesome.  I wanted to wait to see if they had a good launch.
I'm OK with that.

Here's the video where that's announced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EIkvHD7MU8

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 29, 2016, 08:20:00 am »

I am happy with this change. it is similar to what Battlefleet Gothic: Armada did/is doing. As others have said elsewhere, I feel that by making the Chaos Warriors available for a week after release it doesn't seem so much like they're using the Chaos Warriors to boost pre-order sales before people get reviews.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 30, 2016, 03:16:00 pm »

To be honest, I find CA's claim that GW demanded no modding to be rather dubious. in particular, the expansive Dawn of War modding scene never seemed to bother GW, and to my knowledge the popular Warhammer Fantasy mod for Medieval II is still around.

It does seem to fit the direction CA has been going in ever since Empire TW though. I even recall discussion on the modding forums I frequented that CA saw mods as competition to the DLC, and that the lack of modding support in those later games was in part a result of that. I think this might just be their excuse for avoiding doing even the bare minimum of support that was available for the last few games.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if even fewer of the game files were accessible to modders this time around.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 30, 2016, 05:47:09 pm »

To be honest, I find CA's claim that GW demanded no modding to be rather dubious. in particular, the expansive Dawn of War modding scene never seemed to bother GW, and to my knowledge the popular Warhammer Fantasy mod for Medieval II is still around.

It does seem to fit the direction CA has been going in ever since Empire TW though. I even recall discussion on the modding forums I frequented that CA saw mods as competition to the DLC, and that the lack of modding support in those later games was in part a result of that. I think this might just be their excuse for avoiding doing even the bare minimum of support that was available for the last few games.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if even fewer of the game files were accessible to modders this time around.
I'm sure it wasn't a particularly difficult decision for them to make, let's put it that way.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 30, 2016, 08:53:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's no modding support, not that modding will be impossible. Like... Creative Assembly aren't going to release any official modding tools but people can still fiddle around with the files and change stuff like they usually do. It'll take longer but not impossible.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 01, 2016, 07:26:44 am »

I think it's probably both - whilst GW wasn't too bothered about the Dawn of War modding, that was a significantly different time. This was before things like Fallout/The Elder Scrolls got the wider gaming population interested in mods, and it was also a very different sort of game from the table top (being base buildy). Generally they've been arses about modding/usage, so I'm not inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I also imagine that CA isn't too keen on the idea of people modding in all the other races they want to DLC in. It's obvious that the first things people mod in will be the other main races, and with such a fixed universe (the units, abilities and so on will be nearly the same) then the mod implementation may well end up being on par or similar to the DLC.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 03, 2016, 12:46:47 pm »

I'm OK with that.

Here's the video where that's announced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EIkvHD7MU8
I see that cavalry charges are looking better and better!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 05, 2016, 08:58:54 am »

To me, this, plus the changes to the WoC DLC, seem to indicate that they're pretty confident in their game.  Which is good.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 05, 2016, 10:49:37 am »

Someone managed to get GW to not do something stupid....?
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 277