Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491413 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Out today!
« Reply #705 on: May 24, 2016, 04:14:43 pm »

CA said they did that because it made no sense for humans to live in Karaks or Ork camps but made a day 1 mod available for people who want to do that.

It is a lie (by CA), but whatever :P

I have no idea what the real reason is though.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:26:43 pm by Neonivek »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 24, 2016, 04:30:23 pm »

CA said they did that because it made no sense for humans to live in Karaks or Ork camps but made a day 1 mod available for people who want to do that.

It is a lie (by CA), but whatever :P

I have no idea what the real reason is though.
How on earth is it a lie?

There's a mod that enables it from day 1, which CA commissioned and was actually out even before the game itself came out.

They did actually say they thought it'd be too strange for humans or dwarves to live in each other's places.

Where is the lie?

Neonivek, what is wrong with you seriously.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 24, 2016, 04:37:52 pm »

Look, I just don't believe them.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 24, 2016, 04:45:19 pm »

Just because someone is a liar, doesn't mean they will always lie.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 24, 2016, 05:25:45 pm »

What are they lying about?  This is getting into conspiracy theory territory.  I think CA lies, so they definitely made capturing weird territory unavailable for nefarious reasons.  I think the government lies, so obviously 9/11 was an inside job.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 24, 2016, 05:35:23 pm »

What are they lying about?  This is getting into conspiracy theory territory.  I think CA lies, so they definitely made capturing weird territory unavailable for nefarious reasons.  I think the government lies, so obviously 9/11 was an inside job.

I honestly don't believe the reason why you can't take "Any" Land is because of this "It would be weird" excuse... but rather as a way to funnel the gameplay in a very specific direction AND a way to not have to put extra effort putting in extra mechanics.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 05:36:54 pm by Neonivek »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 24, 2016, 05:38:58 pm »

The strategy in this game is a bit funny because of the lords and heroes.

I found that in the early game at least, there is almost no real technique available to you to kill off enemy heroes so they can easily rampage through your lines unchecked. The only option available to you therefore is to bog them down with some crappy units (you can't disengage in this as easily as other Total Wars) and then focus them down with every single ranged unit you have for about 5 minutes until they die.

I think later on you get much better units capable of fighting heroes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 24, 2016, 05:42:50 pm »

It is pretty much how all the Total Wars go.

Well OK... There were Pikemen. who were the only things that kept generals back in the early game.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: May 24, 2016, 05:51:10 pm »

In other total wars, generals can die pretty easy. The only exception I remember was Medieval 2 where high-level generals were godlike. I had a siege where every single unit died except my general (yes, even his bodyguards). He just rampaged through the mongol lines killing all their melee units. He eventually fell to their horse archers, but not before killing pretty much everything else.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: May 24, 2016, 05:55:49 pm »

It is pretty much how all the Total Wars go.

Well OK... There were Pikemen. who were the only things that kept generals back in the early game.

the all generals stack of doom :P

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: May 24, 2016, 06:03:30 pm »

In other total wars, generals can die pretty easy. The only exception I remember was Medieval 2 where high-level generals were godlike. I had a siege where every single unit died except my general (yes, even his bodyguards). He just rampaged through the mongol lines killing all their melee units. He eventually fell to their horse archers, but not before killing pretty much everything else.
The Third Age mod has this for generals like Gandalf. I've seen battles where he did this sort of thing.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 24, 2016, 06:39:31 pm »

Yes, I'd say warhammer generals recapture some of that glory. Nothing short of gunpowder or great weapons is really going to put a strong lord down.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: May 24, 2016, 06:45:32 pm »

Playing Chaos.  Very spooky.  I like the horde mechanic and the infighting, though you do feel like an underdog early on.  I guess you should, considering you're taking on the entire world, but still.  Chaos Attila is a good thing to be.  Can't wait to ravage the world.

Minor lords seem to be random.  It'd be fun if there were a way to create your own Legendary Lord and play a more custom campaign. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 06:47:35 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 24, 2016, 06:49:17 pm »

Buffed up Lords become literal Damage Sponges later on. If you stack a decent amount of Meele Defence and Armor onto one, they will take an INCREDIBLE amount of punishment before going down.

I think the general "Lord Balance" is a bit whack at the moment. Grimgor is a very angry, green mass murderer right out of the gate. While Azhag has to hide like a little girl in most fights because he tanks like a wet tissue and hits like blind stuntie without arms. Maybe its to make up for the fact that later Azhag get's to ride a Mount and cast.
Same goes for Mannfred vs Kemmler. The former plows trough entire stacks without breaking a nail, while the latter usually get's a comfy seat somewhere behind the lines and cast something occasionally.

The AI also carried over some bad habits from previous TW games. Greenskins vs Dwarves is supposed to be an obvious Quantity vs Quality game. But the AI controlled Dwarves seem to conjure money literally out of the ther to sustain same sized armies as me. Once you border on multiple Dwarv Factions, you have to deal with full stacks of bearded murderers every couple turns, with barely a moment of respite. It's sad that only Chaos get's the Horde mechanic. I'd actually like it if you could opt to not bother holding stuff with Greenskins and instead focus on raiding/sacking.

Don't take that as a really bad point tough. The battles that I got out of the game are beyond entertaining, they nailed the atmosphere pretty well. And the game is just... surprisingly good in general, considering we're talking about CA here.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: May 24, 2016, 07:09:17 pm »

Stuebi: Greenskins also get something similar to the horde mechanic. They get the Waagh. Basically you can get free stacks if you attack.

And yeah, the AI cheats. It's how it always is in TW games. I think only normal difficulty they don't. In battle, anything higher than normal they get better stats on their units (to the point where on legendary, a single AI basic unit can outperform your top tier guys). On the campaign they usually get free upkeep and cheatspawn units. It's not particularly bad on hard but on very hard and especially legendary it can get crazy. They don't get these on normal.

It kinda annoys me but meh... you can't really expect it any different when it's been this way for almost two decades.

p.s: There are quite a number of skills and spells that can one or two shot fully levelled legendary lords. The witch hunter's accuse is one (it's free and does about 50% of Grimgor's health in one shot). Curse of Bjuna is another. I'm sure there are others but those are the ones I've seen personally.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 277