Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491520 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #1560 on: November 17, 2016, 08:03:19 pm »

I like the voice over in the trailer. Different from how elves were voiced in other games. The animation for the Treemen is neat with the jerky movement and the wonder victory for the campaign sounds like it'll have you sending armies to the far corners of the map looking for amber.

According to this article, the wood elves are as brittle as you'd expect. Moving quickly, firing while moving and hitting hard but dying easily and lacking staying power. Sounds fun but also a bit frustrating having to keep your units moving and away from the enemy.
This also adds the lores of Shadow and Life which is nice.

I wonder how the amber system will change when new lands are added. Will you be able to find it in Ulthuan or Lustria?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: November 17, 2016, 08:20:18 pm »

I've been waiting for Wood Elves since Warhammer was first released. So I'm pretty excited.

And it looks like they've really taken a lot of time with this faction, especially compared to Beastmen (who are a lot of fun to play, just missing a lot of actual content).

How in-depth they are making Wood Elves is probably why they delayed it so long, and had to move DLC releases out of order from what was initially leaked.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: November 17, 2016, 10:45:00 pm »

So wood elves 'universal capture' is actually a different version of herdstone.
You raze the settlement and get the option to make trading post, recruitment cheap-maker or replenisher.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: November 17, 2016, 11:20:23 pm »

According to this article, the wood elves are as brittle as you'd expect. Moving quickly, firing while moving and hitting hard but dying easily and lacking staying power. Sounds fun but also a bit frustrating having to keep your units moving and away from the enemy.
Gotta love RPS.

Long detailed article about stuff. Comments full of "WHY NO WOMEN IN MAH WARHAMMERZ!!!!".

Out of all the factions, the elven races are the most varied with male/female militia and various lords and heroes of both. The Spellsinger looks neat with the glowing hair, floating off the ground and the wardancers with their large polearms are also well done. The model work in Warhammer: Total War really is very well done.

Here's a video showing some footage of a quest battle between the Wood Elves and the Beastmen. Also has a shot of Morghur the Master of Skulls. He's the guy with the large dreadlocks with skulls woven in and the canvas headcage thingie. People are wondering to what degree he's going to be a lord, whether a new one or similar to Boris Todbringer from the Beastmen campaign (unique model but basic lord abilities).

I wonder, reading about Orion dying in winter and being reborn in spring, whether that'll appear in the game? It might be similar to the wild hunt event buffs as having a lord disappear and reappear would be a bit inconvenient.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: November 17, 2016, 11:53:50 pm »

Long detailed article about stuff. Comments full of "WHY NO WOMEN IN MAH WARHAMMERZ!!!!".

There is no actual reason. While one could argue "because of sexism existing within the setting" there pretty much isn't any... No woman in the setting who wanted to accomplish something was ever hindered by her gender :P

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: November 18, 2016, 08:34:58 am »

Sort of...
The only reason Vlad von Carstein got into power was because Isabella Drakenhof as a woman wasn't allowed to be an elector count.

Of course then it was love at first sight and etc.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: November 18, 2016, 01:27:18 pm »

So I've been playing a bit of Third Age Total War. It's a giant mod for Medieval 2 for those unaware about Lord of the Rings.

Anyway, I remember playing it many years ago and it certainly felt quite unfinished and spartan back then. Now it seems a lot better but even after playing a few hours I just kept feeling like something was wrong with it. The clunky outdated Medieval 2 UI. The shitty controls.

Then after yet another battle where my horde of craptastic goblin slaves drove back the Rohirrim I figured out what was going on.

They did the same nonsense as that Darthmod garbage where they extended the battles WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long and nobody ever routs. Why the hell are my goblin slaves not running after a single charge from horsemen? Why do these battles between peasant armies take years to resolve? Why are my Uruk-Hai archers able to shoot across the map? Who came up with this idiotic balancing? If LotR battles took this long in the books, there would be 12 books in the series just of "and the snaga archers battled against the mightiest of Gondor for 8 hours before they all died bravely to the last goblin even though they were all slaves and were archers with no armour facing off an elite regiment". If I were to guess why this is happening, it's probably because you start with all your heroes in the campaign and they all have insane stats, making units have crazy amounts of morale.

That being said there was a lot of love being poured into this mod. The models are great (for Medieval 2) and unlike modern Total Wars, here you can easily field 20,000 troops in a single battle with no lag. You also have all the trolls, treants, mumakil, Sauron himself, actually all the heroes come to think of it, etc. I had one particularly amusing moment where my entire army was stuck fighting against Saruman for about 20 minutes before he died. Just Saruman himself. And it's not like Saruman could kill multiple units at a time, so it was just 20 minutes of him slowly killing one man at a time before he fell.

-----

I would recommend it for people looking to recreate LotR battles though. It is quite fun, though the battles drag on forever, which is fine if that's what you want. Also the autoresolve is completely broken in this one, so don't even bother trying to do that.

Here's an example video of what it's like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzpj-sVQIWw

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: November 18, 2016, 02:02:14 pm »

What difficulty do you play at and do you have any submods? Because playing vanilla third age with regular difficulty its pretty easy for me to rout troops.

Second the recommendation though.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: November 18, 2016, 02:05:57 pm »

What difficulty do you play at and do you have any submods? Because playing vanilla third age with regular difficulty its pretty easy for me to rout troops.

Second the recommendation though.
The campaign mocks you with a dialogue box if you play on anything except very hard, so that's what I did. Maybe I shouldn't.

But I should mention I don't really have that problem in custom battles.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: November 18, 2016, 02:13:01 pm »

Sort of...
The only reason Vlad von Carstein got into power was because Isabella Drakenhof as a woman wasn't allowed to be an elector count.

Of course then it was love at first sight and etc.

She just didn't want it hard enough.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: November 21, 2016, 11:44:50 pm »

Well Amber seems to indicate there being a future currency... say... warpstone.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: November 22, 2016, 09:40:51 am »

I hadn't thought of that application but it makes sense. Maybe it could be used for other things like prophesy stones for the Lizardmen or lost artifacts for the Tomb Kings. It seems like it will be a good mechanic to get factions roaming beyond their boarders.

The character sheet for Orion has been uploaded, showing off some of his abilities as well as buffs he gives to armies.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: November 24, 2016, 08:37:36 am »

There was a stream today with some Q&A on the Wood Elf DLC. I've mentioned the major points, taken from this thread as well as a few others around, below.

- Unicorns are available. I would assume as a mount choice for lords and mages.
- Shadow Dances for Wardancers. Woven Mist and Whirling Death, possibly passive abilities.
- Various types of outposts for Wood Elves. Apparently one type reduces corruption.
- Only Wood Elves can settle in Athel Loren.
- Different seasons in Athel Loren in the mini campaign. I think in the lore the forest has different sections in permanent states of winter/spring/summer/autumn.
- Waystalker hero has homing arrows on top of fire whilst hidden and stalk.
- The monster units can be recruited by Durthu without an Amber cost (Dryads, Treemen, Forest Dragon. The reverse for elven units is true for Orion.

Some other big information was that harpies are being added as FLC for the Beastmen, alongside Morghur being playable in the main campaign if you own the Beastmen DLC (Still being present in the campaign if you don't own the DLC).
Also, apparently Morghur starts in Nordland and can turn enemy units into Chaos Spawns.

Vampire Counts will gain access to the lore of Shadow. From reading this'll be a lore on vampires.

I would assume that the Empire will also be getting the wizards for the lores of Life and Shadow.

If you wish to watch the stream, it is available on the Total War Twitch channel.

Edit: The character ability sheet for Durthu has been put up.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 08:45:26 pm by Mech#4 »

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 277