Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 489155 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #1575 on: November 24, 2016, 10:32:29 am »

Some other big information was that harpies are being added as FLC for the Beastmen, alongside Morghur being playable in the main campaign if you own the Beastmen DLC (Still being present in the campaign if you don't own the DLC).
Also, apparently Morghur starts in Nordland and can turn friendly units into Chaos Spawns.

Morghur turns enemy units into chaos spawn, not friendly ones. I'm assuming it works a bit like raise dead for the vampires.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 10:36:47 am by Wiles »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: November 24, 2016, 10:54:43 am »

I would assume that the Empire will also be getting the wizards for the lores of Life and Shadow.
It'd make no sense for them not to. They should also add shadow sorcerers for WoC and life damsels for Bretonnia, but that last one may end up only appearing next year with the rest of the Bret roster.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: November 24, 2016, 11:19:57 am »

The Empire should have Fire-Wizards specializing in Steam. That would be cool, an entirely steam-based army.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: November 24, 2016, 04:28:49 pm »

Does the AI ever try to break sieges without a supporting army? I've besieged and encircled provinces against armies that were of similar size or larger than my own and they never try to break out. The only time I've seen them try to break a siege is when they bring in a second army.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: November 24, 2016, 05:28:23 pm »

Does the AI ever try to break sieges without a supporting army? I've besieged and encircled provinces against armies that were of similar size or larger than my own and they never try to break out. The only time I've seen them try to break a siege is when they bring in a second army.
I have. It happens more often on higher difficulties, but it'll try to break the siege with their garrison if it thinks it will win. The main problem with the AI in the game is that it will only ever do anything aggressive if it thinks it can win on autoresolve.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: November 25, 2016, 11:09:47 pm »

For those gonna play/try Wood Elves...

Gonna be the epic tree guy? Or the less epic, but still epic tree guy? ;P

:P

Orion or tree guy?

It kinda makes sense playing Orion first, because it IS the wood elf faction. So its really about wood elves. But the tree guy looks so cool and I can pretend I'm playing the Ents from Lord of the Rings.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: November 26, 2016, 12:50:39 am »

I'll probably play as Orion first, leader of the faction and all that. Playing a faction of ranged skirmishers is going to be hard to get used to.

An article covering Amber has been put up on their wiki.

Also, there is now a short main campaign video showing off Athel Loren, Orion's character skills, the research tree, outposts and so on.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: November 26, 2016, 01:52:27 pm »

If they put this kind of love into all their DLCs, people would complain way less I think.

The amount of value in this pack is pretty staggering.

I hope it's the direction they take in the future.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: November 27, 2016, 02:43:12 am »

I am fighting Chaos for the first time (playing as the Vampire Counts) and I quickly realised that they aren't push-overs like the Empire. I managed to catch one of their armies with three of mine. I expected it to be a fairly easy victory but it ended up a lot closer than I would have liked. The problem was that when my reinforcements showed up all they had with them were their lowest tier of troops. All my cavalry and monster units that weren't part of the main attacking army were held in reserve. Is there any way influence which units show up first?

Any tips for fighting Chaos in general? I am having a hell of a time because I am being attacked by the Varg, the Norscans as well as the armies of Chaos all at the same time. I have three full strength armies but the enemy are razing my provinces faster than I can pick them off. And when I do pick some of them off they are back with more full stacks while I'm dealing with the others. 

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: November 27, 2016, 03:41:58 am »

I am fighting Chaos for the first time (playing as the Vampire Counts) and I quickly realised that they aren't push-overs like the Empire. I managed to catch one of their armies with three of mine. I expected it to be a fairly easy victory but it ended up a lot closer than I would have liked. The problem was that when my reinforcements showed up all they had with them were their lowest tier of troops. All my cavalry and monster units that weren't part of the main attacking army were held in reserve. Is there any way influence which units show up first?

Any tips for fighting Chaos in general? I am having a hell of a time because I am being attacked by the Varg, the Norscans as well as the armies of Chaos all at the same time. I have three full strength armies but the enemy are razing my provinces faster than I can pick them off. And when I do pick some of them off they are back with more full stacks while I'm dealing with the others.
I think the reinforcing armies come in by order of what they were in the campaign map, from left to right. I think, anyway.

Advice for fighting Chaos as Vampire Counts:

1. Ignore the horse skirmishers. They don't do shit to you. They're almost completely worthless and are there as a distraction. You can easily rout them with your bats if you even wanted to waste time doing that.

2. Bring lots of Blood Knights. Chaos has lots and lots of monsters. Blood Knights are like... VC's only option for dealing with them outside of a Terrorgheist. Also Blood Knights are one of the best cavalry in the game so they're great at obliterating the enemy's rear.

3. When in doubt, bring zombies. VC is all about a gigantic horde of worthless crap supported by some of the best units in the game. So just throw garbage at Chaos while you flank them with some elite units. If you're wondering what "elite units" mean for VC, it means Crypt Horrors, their heroes, Terrorgheist, Cairn Wraiths, etc.

4. You can kinda ignore all the skeletons, Grave Guard, etc. They're pretty okay against other factions but against guys like Dwarfs and Chaos who have uber-tier infantry with shittonnes of armour... you're really just better off throwing zombies at them.

5. Make liberal use of your heal spell. Use it all the time.

6. Don't get into a slugfest against Chaos. They will win. Besides, VC is all about flanking and rear charges anyway, so make good use of that. If you don't know what that means, it means throw zombies at them from the front and smash them from the rear.

7. Bats and wolves are good. Don't disregard them just because they are cheap. Since it's campaign, the bats and wolves actually become really powerful after you put some research into them. They're great for dealing with the horse skirmishers and rear charges. Chaos also has fairly weak air power, so you can use your bats to dominate the sky.

8. VC can make disposable armies pretty easily. You can throw a random lord and a few dozen cheapo units into an army and just keep suiciding them into the enemy. It really doesn't cost you all that much. Chaos can't heal too easily in VC lands so keep that in mind as you whittle them down. Also an army of cheapo units will usually just completely rip up the Varg and all those useless marauder scum.

9. VC's vampire lords, Manfred, and Vlad are easily the strongest units in the game. Make liberal use of them and feel free to throw them into insane numbers. Though if you put Manfred on his dragon mount, be aware he loses a lot of his survivability in exchange for significantly higher damage output and mobility.

10. Chaos Chosen are immune to knockback (e.g: from cavalry or your monsters). However, this means because of how the game's magic is set up, they take absurd amounts of damage from vortex spells. The Purple Sun of Xerus really, really fucks them up bad.

11. Lastly, remember you are literally an army of the dead. You have no excuse for not having enough units. You literally summon units out of the ground. Just throw zombies at your problem until it's resolved.

Coffeespoons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: November 27, 2016, 02:35:59 pm »

Still waiting to pick up the base game.  Anyone found it discounted during this week of mad sales?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: November 27, 2016, 02:53:50 pm »

Put it on your Wishlist and it might get bumped on the christmas sale
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: November 27, 2016, 03:00:56 pm »

Thanks for the tips Umiman, I was able to put down the Chaos faction in the end, but not before they razed half my territory. It's hard to keep up with 5 armies running rampant on your doorstep :P

Part of my problem was army composition like you mentioned. I had 3 full armies but they had a lot of skeletons because I only needed to add some monsters and a bit of cavalry to take on the Empire. Almost every battle was super easy until I ran into the Chaos armies in the late game.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: November 27, 2016, 04:11:31 pm »

Still waiting to pick up the base game.  Anyone found it discounted during this week of mad sales?
Its on sale for 10% off at Bundlestars and they have a code that gives you an extra 11% off everything. Also, this page is your friend.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: November 27, 2016, 04:22:18 pm »

I've been playing a VH campaign as Wurrzak the LL for the savage orcs.

It's... interesting. It's also strangely difficult because of how you're kinda limited to savage orcs unless you want to pay a lot for the other things. I never really found savage orcs to be particularly good in the first place so this is certainly challenging.

Hell, I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do against Dwarfs.

Also I have noticed a significant problem when you don't have DLC. The AI do have them. And they make liberal and gratuitous use of them. It's hard enough using savage orcs against high tier Dwarf units. It's even more insane when they're all max rank elite super units every single time. Also right now the Dwarfs have four almost invincible LLs tromping around which blows my mind. (And four invincible ghost agents)

At least the Beastmen like me.

---

Edit: I'm not complaining. This is actually really fun.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 277