Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491320 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #1680 on: December 23, 2016, 08:20:30 pm »

12th Day of Festag: A screenshot of King Louen Leoncoeur and a short animation video.   I'm assuming the model has been updated but I haven't played enough with Bretonnia to pick out any differences.
the current model has Leoncoeur's eyes doing crazy things.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: December 23, 2016, 08:43:55 pm »

12th Day of Festag: A screenshot of King Louen Leoncoeur and a short animation video.   I'm assuming the model has been updated but I haven't played enough with Bretonnia to pick out any differences.
the current model has Leoncoeur's eyes doing crazy things.
He's seen some shit.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: December 29, 2016, 06:05:11 pm »

I know this is not related to Warhammer Total War or Total Warhammer or Total War Warhammer or whatever it's called but I can't find the other Total War thread so I'll put it here.

Attila is on sale for a pretty hefty discount so I picked it up. I originally ignored it because I despise frigging horse archers and a game about just horse archers makes me want to throw up. However, I've been playing it for the past few days and well...

It's really good. I think it's one of the best Total Wars and I'd put it at better than Warhammer. Maybe less than Shogun 2 but not by much. It's basically what Rome 2 should have been.

-----

I mean, first you've got the soundtrack.

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh9HI4eudR8

Don't tell me that's not good. Rome 2's was incredibly forgettable. Even Warhammer's pretty boring.

-----

Two, the sieges in this are easily the best in the series. Yep, better than Medieval 2. Mostly because the AI actually uses combined arms in this now unlike how they didn't do shit in Rome 2.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-----

Let me tell you a story about what I consider my favorite, most memorable battle I've ever played in a Total War game.

This shit does not happen in Warhammer.

-----

The graphics are significantly better in Attila than in Rome 2. It's like a completely different generation of game.

Shadows are better, the maps are better, the designs are better, there are actual female soldiers interspersed among certain units like hunters and brigands and such, textures are significantly better, etc.

Here's a comparison screenshot:

-----

There are civilians running around on the map. Yes. Civilians. Just like in Rome 1's settlement viewer. Except you can kill them now and they panic in the face of the enemy.

-----

You can set entire settlements alight. It's amazing. Just frigging torch the entire city in the battle. The fire effects in Attila are just great in general as you ignite entire forests, fields, and so on. It's not just cosmetic too, as doing damage to a settlement like this affects the defenders very dramatically, but also makes it way more expensive to repair after.

-----

There are so many different unit types. It's like playing with Radious mod or something.

-----

There are problems with it though. The climate change mechanic is stupid and I highly recommend you mod it somehow. There's still a few bugs such as pikes disappearing after you order them to pike wall (a mod fixes this too). Things like that. The AI still cheats like a motherfucker, but that's to be expected.

However, all in all, if you haven't gotten it already, I highly recommend you get Attila while it's cheap as balls. I was really quite surprised at how good it is.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: December 29, 2016, 06:49:01 pm »

There are civilians running around on the map. Yes. Civilians. Just like in Rome 1's settlement viewer. Except you can kill them now and they panic in the face of the enemy.
Civilians can actually get lucky and kill one of the invading soldiers. It is rare, but it happens.

The climate change mechanic is stupid and I highly recommend you mod it somehow.
Climate change was one of the Big Things in that time period, and one of the main reasons the whole clusterfuck that was the Great Migrations happened.

One thing you forgot to mention is that Attila brings back meaningful and involved family mechanics like in Rome 1 and Medieval 2. And now having your internal faction hold too much power can lead to problems.

The game, however, is probably one of the harder total wars. Sure feels apocalyptic though, which is nice.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: December 29, 2016, 07:13:58 pm »

Civilians can actually get lucky and kill one of the invading soldiers. It is rare, but it happens.

The climate change mechanic is stupid and I highly recommend you mod it somehow.
Climate change was one of the Big Things in that time period, and one of the main reasons the whole clusterfuck that was the Great Migrations happened.

One thing you forgot to mention is that Attila brings back meaningful and involved family mechanics like in Rome 1 and Medieval 2. And now having your internal faction hold too much power can lead to problems.

The game, however, is probably one of the harder total wars. Sure feels apocalyptic though, which is nice.
I wouldn't mind the climate change thing if it made sense, but the way they implemented it is pretty frigging dumb.

I mean, by the end of it, the entire world is basically the Sahara Desert in terms of fertility and it never recovers. There's literally no way in game to revert or improve the conditions, which makes no sense whatsoever. I understand why they did it, as they want to force you and the AI into conflict, but it just breaks my suspension of disbelief too much.

I recommend the mods that let you build irrigation or at least increase the fertility level by 1 so you're not stuck in the Fallout universe but at least you still have a reason to not stay in the less fertile areas.

Or if you like it... then you can just leave it. The power of modding.

But yeah, it's pretty frigging hard and the mood is great. Yup, I forgot about the family trees because that part is so good too. They got so much right with this. It actually makes me even more annoyed that sieges in Warhammer are so stupid.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: December 30, 2016, 02:46:43 am »

So I caved in and bought this in the winter sale. The DLC cash grab and power creep from new LL's is beyond stupid, but I guess it captivates the authentic "milking money with both hands"-feel of Games Workshop. The game is very fun, but other than those two things my main beef so far is:

1) AI concentrates on player beyond anything else, which gets a tad ridiculous. Playing as Beastmen, I've been hunted by a major enemy stack through five realms. Meanwhile, the enemy realm is getting razed by their local enemies. :D Playing as vampires, I had Chaos focus exclusively on me, forgetting everyone else. Not only is it foolish artificial difficulty, it breaks the immersion.

2) Wood Elves rape everything. They've destroyed Altdorf and wrecked the entire Empire in both of my games. I thought they were supposed to be isolationists and stuff? Why haven't CA learned how to make an okay campaign AI?

3) Most of offensive magic seems useless. Lore of Metal seems extra useless.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: December 30, 2016, 11:51:57 am »

The magic balance has if anything managed to emulate current edition 40k psykers better than 8th edition Fantasy wizards.  :P

Buffs are better than debuffs which are better than damaging spells. As I understand it Fantasy generally had such potent magic that it was foolish not to cast the big Vortex spells when you could, since several of them could nuke entire units.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: December 30, 2016, 03:24:40 pm »

Magic is... Unintuitive in this game. It takes a lot of external knowledge just to know what to cast and when.

For example, vortex spells are brutal against units that are immune to knock back such as chosen and Giants and cavalry as units are immune to damage while ragdolling around.

And not all spells are created equal. The lore of shadows's vortexes are significantly better and more damaging than others.

The greenskins's buff spells like 'ere we go are like 100x better than the lore of metal.

Also sometimes you want the knock back of a spell more than you want the damage. Knock back destroys momentum and unit coherence which can easily change a fight. But the game doesn't tell you this and you may be left wondering why a push spell even exists.

Even the various "fireball" spells are all different from one another.

One of the more annoying things is how the game won't tell you what the damage numbers and type of damage is for certain spells. For example, there are damage spells that do really crappy damage as a base cast but when overcasted, do huge amounts of armor piercing damage.

Stuff like that. It's just unintuitive and excessively complicated.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: December 30, 2016, 03:32:54 pm »

It would be a lot less annoying if many of these "issues" felt intentional on some level...

But rather they show a sort of carelessness in the design process. a sort of "they won't mind" mentality.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: January 01, 2017, 12:31:56 am »

-Attila snip-
Damn. I never bought it because I was... content? With Rome II and saw Attila as an overpriced expansion.
Turns out it's got all the stuff Rome 2 needed in the base game.

Maybe next time it's ridiculously price cut I'll get it. I already am quite bored with the tiny complement of maps TW:W has (although that's my only true gripe still), and fighting in settlements again could be fun.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: January 01, 2017, 06:39:00 am »

-Attila snip-
Damn. I never bought it because I was... content? With Rome II and saw Attila as an overpriced expansion.
Turns out it's got all the stuff Rome 2 needed in the base game.
Yup, that was basically the exact same thought I had, except with the "oh god it's just Rome 2 with more horse archers".

Turns out it's more like Rome 2: Xtreme Legends Return of the Horses Bugaloo Hyper EX Tournament Edition.

Also, Charlemagne is basically Medieval 3 more or less. Or the early parts of it.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: January 01, 2017, 08:21:12 am »

I do think the mechanics in Attila work better than those in Rome 2 as well as the atmosphere and general theme seems stronger. However, I think Attila has a lack of factions which can give you a simple campaign. Hordes require careful relocation and choosing of battles, the western and eastern roman empires have a lot of enemies, low moral and high income deficits so the only "vanilla-as-possible" factions are some of the eastern ones without any DLC. There's not many factions that give you a low stress campaign.

The medieval and Lord of the Rings mods being made for Attila are worth keeping an eye on though.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: January 01, 2017, 03:55:13 pm »

However, I think Attila has a lack of factions which can give you a simple campaign. Hordes require careful relocation and choosing of battles, the western and eastern roman empires have a lot of enemies, low moral and high income deficits so the only "vanilla-as-possible" factions are some of the eastern ones without any DLC. There's not many factions that give you a low stress campaign.
Yup. If you don't have the DLC, this game is basically halved. Which is why I only recommend buying it when on a big sale or something like previously (or right now? I dunno).

On another note, Total War Warhammer is apparently in Steam's "platinum" ranked most-sold games of 2016. It's also #3 on Angry Joe's top games of 2016 even though he never reviewed it.

Pretty happy for CA.

I just wish they'd fucking do something about the DLC prices. They never go on sale and they're all so expensive!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: January 01, 2017, 05:28:58 pm »

I am thinking of picking up Atilla before the sale ends. Are there any of the DLCs I should avoid?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: January 01, 2017, 05:34:06 pm »

I am thinking of picking up Atilla before the sale ends. Are there any of the DLCs I should avoid?
Not really. Viking is the weakest of them, but that's it. If you are short on money, you'll want Empires of the Sand at the very least, and maybe Charlemagne.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 277