Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491325 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #1740 on: February 17, 2017, 03:26:06 pm »

If you were wondering what the prizes were for MLNW... here they are:
-snip-
Pretty frigging garbage.

That's offensively bad. They're giving DLC for random games (not the one you've actually voted for - they gave TW voters a CoH DLC) in the hopes that you'll pick up the others - just baiting at it's worst. Sure, it's all free, but it sort of seems so overtly money grabby that it's worse somehow.

I really hate myself for supporting Sega by buying TW - I hate their business model more than pretty much any other company. Yet I'm absolutely loving playing it - it makes me the ultimate hypocrite really, but I knew that the humble bundle was pretty much the cheapest it'd be for a year or two.

I've drawn the line at the DLC though - I'm just not buying it no matter what. If I can at least show them (in the tiniest, tiniest way) that the DLC model is fucking awful then I'm at least slightly redeeming myself.

Hating a company's business model while enjoying their games is hardly hypocritical. Hypocrisy would be espousing hatred for their business model while doing it yourself.

You just enjoy the games while also hating the money grubbing decisions made by the people who make them.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: February 17, 2017, 03:48:10 pm »

-snip-

Hating a company's business model while enjoying their games is hardly hypocritical. Hypocrisy would be espousing hatred for their business model while doing it yourself.

You just enjoy the games while also hating the money grubbing decisions made by the people who make them.
[/quote]

Thanks Grim Portent :)
I just guess that I'm so vehemently opposed to that business model that I thought I'd just not give them my custom, but that humble bundle deal was pretty incredible!

Any one have any hints on growing your economy as vampire counts? I'm always unsure what infrastructure buildings to go for (other than balefire). My economy always seems a bit on the low side, and I can't get any trade deals going either.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: February 17, 2017, 03:53:34 pm »

Although vampire counts don't have any good base economic building, they can still build ports, so if you go and take over the boarder princes (and then bretonnia) you'll be rolling in cash (also leaving the empire alive and strongish gives you a nice shield for some of the chaos armies when they decide to burn down the south.)

Edit: Er, although I've not played for a pretty long time. So my advice there might be outdated or something, idk.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: February 17, 2017, 03:56:48 pm »

Although vampire counts don't have any good base economic building, they can still build ports, so if you go and take over the boarder princes (and then bretonnia) you'll be rolling in cash (also leaving the empire alive and strongish gives you a nice shield for some of the chaos armies when they decide to burn down the south.)

Edit: Er, although I've not played for a pretty long time. So my advice there might be outdated or something, idk.

Ahh I'll try going that way - I extended rather too far west and I'm a bit stretched out (which from what I've read, isn't a good way of playing them). I'll try and go south a bit.

Also, has anyone tried the settle anywhere (or whatever it's called - the one that lets you use any settlement) mod? I'm tempted because I find it super annoying that you just arbitrarily can't conquer some bits, but I'm worried it might throw the balance far out of wack.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: February 17, 2017, 04:30:25 pm »

Marienburg has a unique port with an income that's equivalent to a whole province on it's own, it makes a nice spot for VCs to conquer for an economy boost even though it's three provinces away from Sylvania.

Letting armies conquer any settlement isn't too balance disrupting, the Wood Elves can already do it after all, it just means you'll find different factions in places you wouldn't expect, like Border Princes in the Badlands and Norscans in the Empire.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: February 17, 2017, 04:35:54 pm »

I've drawn the line at the DLC though - I'm just not buying it no matter what. If I can at least show them (in the tiniest, tiniest way) that the DLC model is fucking awful then I'm at least slightly redeeming myself.
You have my congratulations and condolences. Whilst they aren't as bad as Paradox with their "Let's arbitrarily break the game and make people pay to return functionality" principle, it's still got to be pretty awful when other factions have game-breaking regiments of renown and extra units that you're not privy to.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: February 17, 2017, 04:45:26 pm »

You have my congratulations and condolences. Whilst they aren't as bad as Paradox with their "Let's arbitrarily break the game and make people pay to return functionality" principle, it's still got to be pretty awful when other factions have game-breaking regiments of renown and extra units that you're not privy to.

Thanks - nothing is quite as bad as Paradox (I went for Stellaris not knowing how broken it is) but this one takes the cake.

There was a VC quest I got early on to build a corpse cart, which is impossible to do without the DLC. That really, really grated on me - I don't want to be hit round the head with it.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: February 19, 2017, 01:40:05 am »

Info about Bretonnia from Reddit:

Damsels are now able to be recruited with the Lore of Life.

Battle Pilgrims are now a psuedo swordsmen unit, arguably better due to Frenzy and their excellent leadership.

Sword Foot Squires (name needs citation) are an underpowered version of the Greatswords and represent potentially the latest tier infantry for Bretonnia.

Questing Knights are greatsword wielding cavalry with excellent armour penetration, but no formations.

Lance Formation adds 50% acceleration and deceleration and roughly 30% more charge speed and bonus though it does reduce your speed by 12% and missile block by 33(?)%. Questing Knights don't get lance formation.

Knight Errants are the new low tier cavalry unit for the Bretonnians, they get Lance Formation.

Knights of the Realm have bonus vs large and Lance Formation.

Grail Knights now have immunity to vigour, bonus vs large, Lance Formation and 20% physical resistance, they are amazing.

Grail Reliquary is a dead Grail Knight lofted by Battle Pilgrims into battle, gives a dramatic increase to leadership and immunity to psychology in the nearby area and perhaps other buffs.

There is a confirmed new Peasant Archer variety that we did not get to see.

Hey guys, long time lurker.

I just came back from the PCGamerWeekender where TotalWar was showcasing its new Brettonia DLC. Anyway, during the event they showed a video with information on Brettonia in the campaign. They might have already shared most of the info here, but I thought it would not hurt to share.

Here is a list of all the things I remembered:

-3 starting locations: Leon in Brettonia, Alberic in Bordelaux, Fey Enchantress in Carcassone

-Each one seems to start with 2 regions each, a full province representing their territory. A nice change from the start with a single region we've had so far (Poor Empire suffers so much from it)

-Green Knight is a hero, but cannot be recruited. Instead he shows up randomly and stays with your faction for a few turns then is gone.

-2 main recruitment buildings in the 'red' slot for towns that are focused on unlocking knight troops. For peasants, most are recruited from the 'infrastructure' buildings

-Technology tree divided in 2 -> economy and knightly order, delving into one will bring penalties to your campaign related to the other. Invest into only one if you're ok with the penalties, or invest in each in a steady fashion, your call.

-Brettonia is known for having its forests and the nearby mountain infested with orcs, so they get events focused on that, such as a reduction in growth because off-screen orcs raided their lands

-All Brettonia faction are somewhat friendly with each other, so you don't have to go to to war with each other. Diplomacy is meant to be easy with each other and confederation comes later on once you've researched the technology for it.

-If you do go to war with Brettoni factions, the others will not like it one bit. Brettoni civil wars come with penalties, but you can do it anyway if you don't care about them

-New units that were not shown in the stream that I remember: Royal Hypogryph knights, Royal Pegasus knights (better version of regular pegasus knights), variant of Trebuchet that throws magic projectiles blessed by the Lady herself. There might have been more but they were either shown in the stream, or I forgot them

That's most of what I remember if anything else comes to mind I'll add it to the comments.

Edit:

Almost forgot, Brettonia factions get a new bar similar to the grudges for dwarves. This bar represents your chivalrous nature, and the more chilvarous you are, the more it is filled. With each rank of chivalry you attain, you get campaign and battle bonuses.

Edit2:

Brettonia gets access to 3 lores of magic: Heavens, Life, and Beasts.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: February 19, 2017, 02:33:40 am »

Cheers for the picks, good effort.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: February 19, 2017, 03:35:54 am »

I like what they've done for unit recruitment. Knights through military and peasants through infrastructure is a nice way of showing the divide.

Three different starting locations is also nice. Makes for more campaign variety.
I wonder if the system for blessings is in? Maybe it'll be done like how banners, chaos gifts and runes are done for other factions.

Here's a link to a recent stream event tied with the "Make War Not Love" event. At around 2 hours 42 minutes  in there's some footage of Bretonnia vs Greenskins. I haven't looked over it much myself but it does show off some of the new units.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 03:48:46 am by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: February 19, 2017, 04:29:18 am »

While Brettonia seems nice, I can't help but feel annoyed about how CA abandons old factions. Empire and Chaos both would need work to be interesting to play, they've been just sort of abandoned now.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: February 19, 2017, 04:47:34 am »

Empire has gotten an expansion and has RoR.
So... no.

Chaos, sure.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: February 19, 2017, 08:43:25 am »

also from reddit:
Hi guys, I'm not sure if it was streamed, but I just watched CA's presentation on day 2 of the Weekender and I think there was some more info that I've not seen on Reddit yet.

The green Knight: You can chose when he joins you in campaign. You get to summon him once each time you advance a level in Chivalry. Not sure how long he sticks around. In custom battles, he's a "Legendery Hero" so not a lord, but you can only have one of him - he's very expensive and very tanky.

Peasant Archers: Different arrow types are available, fire arrows which stop regening units (Vargulf etc) and poison arrows similar to goblins.

There is a unique peasant economy mechanic. So as you have more peasants in your armies, farms produce less gold. Also, public order isn't a thing, instead there is a "Control mechanic" which functions similarly but I think it resulted in greenskin invasions rather than rebellions.

In the research trees there are pesant and knight trees. The knight tree also has techs which make confederation with other bretonnians easier if you want to avoid the chivalry penalties for civil war.

That's it, I'll comment if I remember anything else!

EDIT: Total War won the Make War Not Love event, so Vlad will get his waifu for free.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:15:18 am by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: February 19, 2017, 10:34:55 am »

EDIT: Total War won the Make War Not Love event, so Vlad will get his waifu for free.

I kinda feel they had to let it win after everyone was complaining how lame it was that there were no TW:W DLC giveaways or offers or anything.

Glad to get it though, this kinda extra content does help make things feel a lot more fleshed out.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: February 19, 2017, 10:51:59 am »

I kinda feel they had to let it win after everyone was complaining how lame it was that there were no TW:W DLC giveaways or offers or anything.

Glad to get it though, this kinda extra content does help make things feel a lot more fleshed out.
I dunno. Despite TWW winning the community stuff every day, Sega kept giving free points to everyone else. And today they set a dev that was not good at all to play Company of Heroes 2 against... a pro player.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 277