Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491400 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #2025 on: April 06, 2017, 12:22:17 pm »

I think Dwarves would make more sense to wield shortswords, akin to a gladius in design, one handed spears, compact ranged weapons, shields and long daggers. Properly swinging an axe takes a lot of space, properly wielding a polearm takes even more, and even a pike used for stabbing is of limited use in a tight space where you can't move it much. Small stabbing weapons would be ideal, small crossbows and guns you can aim between a shield wall.

Press up close, a wall of iron shields and armoured bodies thrusting with stout swords into the guts of the enemy, when receiving a charge rest crossbows and guns on the shoulder of the front rank to fire a few volleys, then switch to a spear to stab over the heads of your front rank at the enemy. Hope the enemy has no giants, because there's honestly not a lot dwarves could realistically do against a giant with some metal plates strapped to it's legs and feet.

Though I now wonder if any armies ever tried large scale use of skirmishing horsemen with grenades and firebombs against pike formations. Seems like the sort of thing they'd be good at, at least as long as it wasn't a pike&shot army.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: April 06, 2017, 12:31:20 pm »

I could see short swords, pikes, and short spears all work in cave conditions. Don't forget in real life, pikes and spear combat in formation was just "pull back, poke, pull back, poke" or "push forward until everything is dead". No fancy swings. Ideal for tight quarters. Short swords (ideally knives) would be great for less formation based combat and when things become a melee.

But yeah, under real circumstances, no way would hammers and axes be used. Like, there wouldn't even be a historical precedent for them to use those things if they primarily lived underground to begin with.

Seriously, what use would a race of underground midgets who use almost primarily stone have for an axe? They would never have invented it or adopted it for daily use, let alone to equip entire armies.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: April 06, 2017, 12:33:43 pm »

Dwarves don't exclusively fight in caves tho. Most of their battles against orks are often on the field. When things get really ugly (like when grimgor went around the mountains fucking shit up), THEN they retreat into the mountain holds, where they're mostly safe, except for skaven and night goblins :U
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: April 06, 2017, 01:09:36 pm »

Seriously, what use would a race of underground midgets who use almost primarily stone have for an axe? They would never have invented it or adopted it for daily use, let alone to equip entire armies.

My understanding was always that a dwarves axe was a sort of...stone breaking axe which is similar in function to a pick axe. Whilst obviously the whole point of a pick axe is that you apply a lot of pressure to a very small point, I'm guessing that if they're mythically strong (and have mythically strong metal) an axe could work in a similar fashion.

That being said, axes are quite useful in combat against heavily armoured foes and allows the user to benefit from increased strength. Probably the reach with them also helps make up for size disadvantage as well, so I wouldn't put it past just being a general combat invention.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: April 06, 2017, 01:34:53 pm »

Someone made mention of dwarves being predominately mountain-dwellers in their history, hence why the beards, and as they moved into being underground dwellers, the beards became a cultural thing, which explains why they don't look like goblins.

Maybe axes are similar? The people who went down to the lowlands to find wood were regarded as the toughest of primitive dwarves, and therefore axes became symbols of bravery and fortitude, and kept cultural relevance long after losing practical relevance (like dwarves being terrifyingly hidebound isn't already a widespread trait).
Could maybe explain some things.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: April 06, 2017, 01:48:43 pm »

I'm guessing that if they're mythically strong (and have mythically strong metal) an axe could work in a similar fashion.
I don't really want to dispute your other statements, but I'd like to point something out.

If they had a mythically strong metal (which they do) with mythically strong bodies (which they do) then their mythically strong pickaxes would be better at breaking rock than their mythically strong axes. So they would still use pickaxes to break rock instead of an axe because it'd be way better at breaking rock than an axe, even if they were powered up compared to our real world versions.

It's kinda like saying if Adamantite existed in our world, we'd throw away our drill bits and use Adamantite forks to dig holes. No, we'd make Adamantite drill bits.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: April 06, 2017, 06:02:41 pm »

I'm guessing that if they're mythically strong (and have mythically strong metal) an axe could work in a similar fashion.
I don't really want to dispute your other statements, but I'd like to point something out.

If they had a mythically strong metal (which they do) with mythically strong bodies (which they do) then their mythically strong pickaxes would be better at breaking rock than their mythically strong axes. So they would still use pickaxes to break rock instead of an axe because it'd be way better at breaking rock than an axe, even if they were powered up compared to our real world versions.

It's kinda like saying if Adamantite existed in our world, we'd throw away our drill bits and use Adamantite forks to dig holes. No, we'd make Adamantite drill bits.

Of course, but my thought is that it'd be something a long the lines of what Tack has stated (in terms of a cultural thing) combined with them being usable for stone work. Yes, pragmatically it'd be sensible just to use a pick, but due to their immense stubbornness, they may use something not 100% efficient.

I'd imagine that the majority would be using picks (as we see miners in the game) for mining work, but that axes are a sort of cultural thing which they hold to.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: April 06, 2017, 09:52:16 pm »

The miners use pickaxes that can have both a pick head and a hammer head on either end. My reasoning for the axes are that they work well with dwarf strength as well as being used in carpentry. The dwarfs do use a lot of wood and have timber mills for processing trees into planks. Wood for shoring up mine shafts, minecart tracks, beer barrels, shields, fuel, tables and chairs, mugs and scaffolding.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: April 07, 2017, 01:14:09 am »

Someone made mention of dwarves being predominately mountain-dwellers in their history, hence why the beards, and as they moved into being underground dwellers, the beards became a cultural thing, which explains why they don't look like goblins.

Maybe axes are similar? The people who went down to the lowlands to find wood were regarded as the toughest of primitive dwarves, and therefore axes became symbols of bravery and fortitude, and kept cultural relevance long after losing practical relevance (like dwarves being terrifyingly hidebound isn't already a widespread trait).
Could maybe explain some things.

Mountain dweller means beard?
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: April 07, 2017, 01:31:45 am »

Afaik cold temperatures means beard and mountains are high and cold.
Unfortunately I can't explain it as well as the fan who first gave the posit.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: April 07, 2017, 10:41:37 pm »

Had to abandon my Empire campaign, but it was for a good cause: I changed my mod list. And, after some testing, I am pretty happy with it.

What is this "vanilla" you speak of.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: April 07, 2017, 11:14:13 pm »

The only mod I'm using at the moment is the "Grand Campaign Custom Maps 80+" pack. I'm enjoying the variety it brings and having maps with large chokepoints allows for some very fun "hold the line" battles. Playing as the dwarfs; High King Thorgrim Grudgebearer defended Karak Ungor from the forces of Chaos over four turns involving duel stack assaults each turn.

My only issue with the map pack is one I knew I would have; some of the maps could do with touchups. Gaps in mountains, terrain or buildings, wonky camera movements where bridges pass over terrain (there's an odd one in the middle of the bridge of Karak Kadrin), Ctrl G grouping units sometimes has issues with rotating the grouping on some maps. I've also seen a map where several bridges seemed to be missing.

One of my favorite maps is a dwarf settlement (Varenka Hills) where both attacker and defender start on either side. You can attack either around the top or bottom of the settlement, but going through the settlement involves narrow roads with lots of overlooking plateaus for quarrellers and artillery and side streets for flanking. The varied terrain heights also limits line of sight so advanced scouting using rangers and gyrocopters becomes really useful.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: April 08, 2017, 01:37:28 am »

I think I'll wait for Total War: Warhammer 2

Err sorry... I mean the actual Total War: Warhammer 2... Total War: Warhammer 3

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: April 08, 2017, 10:20:38 am »

I think I'll wait for Total War: Warhammer 2

Err sorry... I mean the actual Total War: Warhammer 2... Total War: Warhammer 3

You mean Total War: Warhammer 4, as there's going to be another money grab in another year.

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 277