Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 489147 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #2085 on: May 07, 2017, 03:02:29 am »

I'm pretty sure CA/Sega has been making modding harder on purpose, consideirng how the total conversion mods have been pretty much new games on their own. That is setting competition for themselves, as they keep pushing new stuff out on an assembly line. Can't help but compare that to Paradox who are the very opposite.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: May 07, 2017, 08:52:55 am »

I'm pretty sure CA/Sega has been making modding harder on purpose, consideirng how the total conversion mods have been pretty much new games on their own. That is setting competition for themselves, as they keep pushing new stuff out on an assembly line. Can't help but compare that to Paradox who are the very opposite.

I feel Paradox are doing the same thing in terms of competition - with Stellaris, a lot of the mods are basically managing to put stuff in that end up in DLC. Granted, they're currently not stopping that, but I don't think it'll be long till they reign back on the modding freedom.

Sega are obviously violently opposed to mods, as with stuff like warhammer, they're trying to just sell race packs which modders could create themselves.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: May 07, 2017, 10:54:06 am »

I would imagine if they were "violently opposed" to mods, they wouldn't even allow it to begin with.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: May 07, 2017, 11:05:30 am »

It seems like GW and CA have become more okay with player-made content over TW: Warhammer's lifetime. Originally GW didn't want to allow any mods period. And now they have stuff like a custom battle map-editor. They're still trying to have some level of control over the modding scene, but that's different to being opposed to mods.

Paradox also tries to control the modding scene by having a lot of the cool mods be in their forum, but you have to own a legal copy of the game attached to your registered account to access the mods section.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:09:22 am by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: May 07, 2017, 12:11:55 pm »

Creative Assembly convinced Games Workshop to allow modding for Warhammer: Total War. Games Workshop agreed under the condition that any mods made for Warhammer: Total War didn't incorporate other I.Ps. My assumption on this is that Creative Assembly has to make sure any such mods get no visability on the Steam Workshop or their official forums. If they don't already, such mods will most likely exist by the end of the Warhammer: Total War release cycle.

At the moment, such efforts are hampered by model modding being limited to what assets (armour, weapons etc) exist in the game currently, though textures can be modified.

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: May 07, 2017, 12:13:19 pm »

Creative Assembly convinced Games Workshop to allow modding for Warhammer: Total War. Games Workshop agreed under the condition that any mods made for Warhammer: Total War didn't incorporate other I.Ps. My assumption on this is that Creative Assembly has to make sure any such mods get no visability on the Steam Workshop or their official forums. If they don't already, such mods will most likely exist by the end of the Warhammer: Total War release cycle.

At the moment, such efforts are hampered by model modding being limited to what assets (armour, weapons etc) exist in the game currently, though textures can be modified.
A few LOTR map mods have appeared in the workshop a couple of times. Don't know if they got taken down or not, though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: May 07, 2017, 01:29:03 pm »

I would imagine if they were "violently opposed" to mods, they wouldn't even allow it to begin with.

I think there's a difference between 'player created content' and actual mods. They're happy for people to create stuff within their proscribed limits, but they don't want people creating new factions or overhauling gameplay elements. Warhammer has the sort of fans who are likely to devote themselves to creating big mods, and I could easily imagine (if they let them) they'd create all the major factions pretty quickly, and at a similar level to CA could do.

But, due to the history of CA games, they can't really stop people modding altogether either.

Bit of a weird situation, but hopefully they'll open stuff up more when Expansion 3 is released.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: May 07, 2017, 02:20:42 pm »

Yeah as far as I remember CA have been big advocates of modding, but also have recently had a 'We can't be bothered to actively make the game more moddable if we're not getting paid' attutude.

Not sure whether that's because SEGA brought the modding hammer down on them after Medieval II though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: May 07, 2017, 02:51:23 pm »

Yeah as far as I remember CA have been big advocates of modding, but also have recently had a 'We can't be bothered to actively make the game more moddable if we're not getting paid' attutude.

Not sure whether that's because SEGA brought the modding hammer down on them after Medieval II though.

I'm sure it was - with modders of their games being so dedicated with the TC/big mods, it'd be hard to push through something that was already modded in without constant comparison. Take Dark Elves - it'd be pretty trivial to change the Wood Elves into Dark Elves if they opened it up enough, and then they'd have a hard time selling them.

Similarly, modders would immediately work on GoT and LOTR mods if they opened it up. I can't imagine they'd get the go ahead to use those IPs, but if they did then they wouldn't want competition.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: May 07, 2017, 09:47:43 pm »

There are a number of mods that change things beyond what Creative Assembly has released tools for officially.

A few of them are "Play as any faction", mods that add new factions like the "Tomb Kings", "Chaos Dwarfs", "Estalia, Tilia and Border Princes".

These faction mods have new units, spells, heroes and lords. The limiting factor, as I mentioned before, is being unable to import new meshes so the mods have to use existing armour, weapons and unit models. Such as the Chaos faction mod that adds Bloodthirsters but they use the Minotaur model with Malagor's wings attached to their back.

A hurdle with making battle maps was people were unable to place walls and gates properly to make siege maps. However, I believe within the last month people have figured out how to do this as the Karaz-A-Karak map makes use of both walls and gates.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: May 07, 2017, 11:50:29 pm »

I actually really enjoyed the "multiple coincentric rings" fortress version in Medieval 2.
If they bring that back in Med 3 I'll be pretty happy.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: May 08, 2017, 12:27:27 am »

My favorite siege maps are the ones from Attila. They're all so well designed with fantastic conflict points and flow to the combat. It's hard to explain what's so good about them but when you actually give them a shot, it's hard to go to any other siege in Total War.

Especially when you get simultaneous land and sea battles going on. Goddamn those are fun as well. They were garbage in Rome 2 but they're amazing in Attila.

I think it's something to do with how your defenses in Attila are way more dynamic as you use the terrain and streets to plan your defense rather than just plonk everything on a wall. Not to mention the AI is super aggressive in that one so you get a lot of siege battles too.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: May 08, 2017, 05:32:52 am »

I actually really enjoyed the "multiple coincentric rings" fortress version in Medieval 2.
If they bring that back in Med 3 I'll be pretty happy.
The problem with that one was that it was pretty easy for your ram to being unable to get to the second gate because of pathfinding, or because it got destroyed or you didn't bring one in the first place. That said, nowadays any unit can go and bash down a gate, so maybe it is finally a good idea.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: May 08, 2017, 06:54:10 am »

It is good that any unit can knock down gates. I remember having to wait out the timer sometimes in Medieval 2 because if you defeated the A.I.s assaulting infantry the rest of their army would sit outsides the walls unable to do anything. Annoying if an enemies army is 80% cavalry. There's also the big pain of moving units on and off walls since archers don't line up straight and most of the unit ended up not being able to fire.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: May 08, 2017, 07:04:59 am »

I always had a unit move outside of the gate to lure the cavalry close again and then quickly move inside again, though you should have a backup waiting in case the gate can't close fast enough, but at least the archers have something to do during that time.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 277