Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491541 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #2250 on: June 23, 2017, 07:38:13 pm »

It has to do with the fact that Vampire's bottom units are flat out trash... and the AI doesn't seem to catch onto this fact...

And Dwarves are very well equipped to fight trash.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: June 23, 2017, 07:51:30 pm »

It has to do with the fact that Vampire's bottom units are flat out trash... and the AI doesn't seem to catch onto this fact...

And Dwarves are very well equipped to fight trash.
I just can't stop giggling.

It was hilarious. The autoresolve said "Yer fucked" and as I'm rather new to this, I went "Well, may as well lose this army hard", because 6.4k against 1.2k.

They had 2 units of Grave Guard period. Which got vaped by artillery.

Seriously, I think that undead may be the worst match to the Dwarves period. My Quarrelers were melting everything they shot at.

I didn't even have any of Thorgrim's relics by then!

I mean, I'm on normal, but still!

Also, this game has rather obtuse movement controls. Rather annoying.

Anyway, question: What's a good loadout for a Dwarf artillery battery? Been going 2 Flame Cannon 2 Organ Gun, but they're a lot shorter range than Cannons and Grudge Throwers.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: June 23, 2017, 08:11:08 pm »

Autoresolve has never been remotely accurate... like at all.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: June 23, 2017, 08:40:04 pm »

Its gotten better though. I think the problem is that it places a higher value on unit models than it should.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: June 23, 2017, 09:30:40 pm »

Its gotten better though. I think the problem is that it places a higher value on unit models than it should.

It seems largely based on their exact stats.

For Dwarves it might as well be imaginary and for Undead it overestimates them.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: June 23, 2017, 09:53:06 pm »

Anyway, question: What's a good loadout for a Dwarf artillery battery? Been going 2 Flame Cannon 2 Organ Gun, but they're a lot shorter range than Cannons and Grudge Throwers.
Glad you're having fun.

Just go with what you need. Dwarf artillery is fairly flexible.

Flame weapons are only used against unarmoured enemies, of which they will slaughter horrendously. This makes them excellent against pansy wood elves or zombies or what have you. They're kinda worthless against heavy armour for... some... reason. I think it's just a holdover from tabletop rules or something like that.

Organ guns are like a really, really basic early machinegun. It has armour piercing as well. They best way to use it is to use manual fire control (if you don't know what that is, press the insert key on your keyboard when you have artillery selected).

Cannons are better against large, small unit sizes like say... a giant. Or even trolls. Anything big enough for it to hit reliably and do massive damage to. It doesn't do as much AOE damage as a catapult would.

Catapults are fantastic at obliterating groups of infantry. You really shouldn't discount these even in the late game. If you're fighting empire or Chaos and they have lots of infantry, I'd bring a bunch of these catapults.

The DLC adds a bolt thrower. It's basically just a discount variation of a cannon. It's shittier in almost every way but price and upkeep.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: June 23, 2017, 09:58:00 pm »

The DLC adds a bolt thrower. It's basically just a discount variation of a cannon. It's shittier in almost every way but price and upkeep.
I thought it was more accurate?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: June 23, 2017, 10:07:32 pm »

Glad you're having fun.

Just go with what you need. Dwarf artillery is fairly flexible.

Flame weapons are only used against unarmoured enemies, of which they will slaughter horrendously. This makes them excellent against pansy wood elves or zombies or what have you. They're kinda worthless against heavy armour for... some... reason. I think it's just a holdover from tabletop rules or something like that.

Organ guns are like a really, really basic early machinegun. It has armour piercing as well. They best way to use it is to use manual fire control (if you don't know what that is, press the insert key on your keyboard when you have artillery selected).

Cannons are better against large, small unit sizes like say... a giant. Or even trolls. Anything big enough for it to hit reliably and do massive damage to. It doesn't do as much AOE damage as a catapult would.

Catapults are fantastic at obliterating groups of infantry. You really shouldn't discount these even in the late game. If you're fighting empire or Chaos and they have lots of infantry, I'd bring a bunch of these catapults.

So as I'm fighting Chaos, I want the Grudge Throwers and Cannons, for sniping monsters(I was wondering why I couldn't counterbattery a Cygor for shit earlier!) and for slaughtering infantry.

Also a few Orcs, but I've got Ironbreakers and they're fielding Savage Boyz due to how hard I've been thumping them. So eh.

Well, I guess I wasted a few thousand gold on "upgrading" my cannonry. Ah well, I'm a Dwarf, I've got enough money I spend 30k bribing the Empire to trade with me.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: June 23, 2017, 10:24:03 pm »

I think the tools for Vampire Counts against the Dwarfs is their strong heroes and lords as well as their access to magic. Wind of Death is great against the heavily armoured Dwarf units while various other spells are good for reducing the dwarfs armour, increasing your armour piercing and melee damage and lowering the dwarfs leadership. Magic is something the A.I. uses but not that well.

I like using the Ironbreakers, but I think you need to turn off their auto-fire of throwing the bomb satchels or they don't brace in time for enemy charges.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: June 23, 2017, 10:50:50 pm »

I think the tools for Vampire Counts against the Dwarfs is their strong heroes and lords as well as their access to magic. Wind of Death is great against the heavily armoured Dwarf units while various other spells are good for reducing the dwarfs armour, increasing your armour piercing and melee damage and lowering the dwarfs leadership. Magic is something the A.I. uses but not that well.

I like using the Ironbreakers, but I think you need to turn off their auto-fire of throwing the bomb satchels or they don't brace in time for enemy charges.
As the count's themselves are just Drakenhof, Templehof is wiped out, and the Empire is going at the Von Carsteins, I think their counter to my massive beardy empire is "Surrender".

Speaking of which, is there a way besides murdering the fuck out of faction to stop them surrendering to you?

Because Vlad and Mannfred keep going "OH GOD TAKE 6k GOLD AND LEAVE US ALONE" and I don't want to do that so I don't offend my allies. Templehof did too, but he attacked me on the way to Karak Kadrin, so I wiped his settlements out.

Seriously, it's annoying. I don't want to spare the forces to bother to wipe them out, I'm containing a minor Savage Orc faction to farm for any later quests, and Chaos is going full Archeon on the world right now, so i'm fighting off the group of Norscans on the lower areas with my troops.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: June 23, 2017, 11:20:47 pm »

I mean, you've got a few options.

One is to just raze the fiends. As the Dwarfs you can't occupy Sylvania anyways, razing is the only permanent solution. The humans will _probably_ leave that land alone (though there's a slim chance they'll colonize it, let a rebellion happen, and suddenly the Vamps are back!).

The second is to take the peace deal. It's a minor diplomatic penalty at best for signing peace - in fact, I don't believe there's any penalty for making peace, so the only penalty is the tiny ongoing one for "deals with Vampire Counts" which will be, like, -1 relations or something irrelevant. That said, I would point out that, if they're actually offering 6k, that means they've still got a pretty high economic strength, so you might want to deal a little more damage to them before you peace out and let them rebuild their army!

Also, fun fact: being in a military alliance obligates you to join any wars your allies start, but for some crazy reason does not require you to join any war your allies are already in. Assuming you won't suffer a trustworthiness penalty for declaring peace, you're free to take the offer, and then you may reject any request from your 'allies' to rejoin the war without even a relationship penalty.

The third, which only cool people with high self-confidence will do, is vassalize them. The upside is that you get your very own Vampiric minions to direct against whatever foes you see fit. The downside is that your relations will go down much more rapidly than if you'd just peaced them out, not to mention that Manny is a backstabbing schemer and will probably betray you before you have a chance to do anything with him. But hey, vassalizing an undead overlord is far more fun than wiping them out or aborting the war, so why not?

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: June 23, 2017, 11:27:41 pm »

I mean, you've got a few options.

One is to just raze the fiends. As the Dwarfs you can't occupy Sylvania anyways, razing is the only permanent solution. The humans will _probably_ leave that land alone (though there's a slim chance they'll colonize it, let a rebellion happen, and suddenly the Vamps are back!).

The second is to take the peace deal. It's a minor diplomatic penalty at best for signing peace - in fact, I don't believe there's any penalty for making peace, so the only penalty is the tiny ongoing one for "deals with Vampire Counts" which will be, like, -1 relations or something irrelevant. That said, I would point out that, if they're actually offering 6k, that means they've still got a pretty high economic strength, so you might want to deal a little more damage to them before you peace out and let them rebuild their army!

Also, fun fact: being in a military alliance obligates you to join any wars your allies start, but for some crazy reason does not require you to join any war your allies are already in. Assuming you won't suffer a trustworthiness penalty for declaring peace, you're free to take the offer, and then you may reject any request from your 'allies' to rejoin the war without even a relationship penalty.

The third, which only cool people with high self-confidence will do, is vassalize them. The upside is that you get your very own Vampiric minions to direct against whatever foes you see fit. The downside is that your relations will go down much more rapidly than if you'd just peaced them out, not to mention that Manny is a backstabbing schemer and will probably betray you before you have a chance to do anything with him. But hey, vassalizing an undead overlord is far more fun than wiping them out or aborting the war, so why not?
Razing's out as it needs an army and Chaos is scary shit I don't want to play around with.

But, uh, they're literally Drakenhof. Tier V Drakenhof, but Drakenhof.

Everything else was Templehof until they attacked me, earned a grudge, and proceeded to get their entire society murdered.

I have gotten Vassal offers off them, actually. But I don't want to piss everyone off, so I guess I'll just peace with them and bring all power down on the horrors of Chaos.

Vampires can die later when the Doom Tide is over.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: June 24, 2017, 12:04:27 am »

Keep the charges on. Their purpose is to disrupt the charge and reduce the enemy's charge bonus for the units that were hit.

The brace bonus stays regardless if you throw.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: June 24, 2017, 12:39:01 am »

@ArchAIngel: After a few games I don't really accept or offer Military Alliances with the computer. I suspect the A.I. offers them when they're getting picked on to disuade attackers, dragging you into wars against other factions when this fails. I've had some battles teamed up with the A.I. but trying to co-ordinate a siege with the A.I. is pretty useless and the enemy likes using Lightning Strike to split up multiple forces. Not really often enough to be worth the effort.

The good thing is when a faction asks for peace, you can usually increase the gold they offer. A brief war against the Dwarfs as Tilia saw me sack two of their settlements, after which they asked for peace which I made 5000 gold off of.

@umiman: Good to know about the blasting charges.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: June 24, 2017, 09:45:31 am »

I know you're on the opposite side of the whole VC vs Dwarfs thing, but the way VCs can beat Dwarfs is by not playing them at their own damn game.

You want zombies to hold units in place, while crypt horros and varghulfs disrupt the lines so skeletons and grave guard can move in. Bats attack the siege engines to keep them from firing, vargheists go for tastier targets like heroes. You'll definitely want a Lore of Death caster for lord sniping.

As for your actual situation: you'll absolutely want to raze Drakenhof, especially since the WoC are coming. Vampires don't get the whole truce bonus/ai attitude change for the Storm of Chaos/End Times event, so they'll still try to be dicks about it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 277