Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491560 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #2310 on: June 29, 2017, 07:47:20 pm »

I replayed the save multiple times, sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn't. The only time it worked was when I took both armies out of the city and even then the natural garrison would not help.

EDIT: and if it WAS under siege than the sieging army could come help but the army inside + garrison could not. Which is trash.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: June 29, 2017, 08:31:54 pm »

I replayed the save multiple times, sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn't. The only time it worked was when I took both armies out of the city and even then the natural garrison would not help.

EDIT: and if it WAS under siege than the sieging army could come help but the army inside + garrison could not. Which is trash.
One of your mods is fucking up the game then.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: June 29, 2017, 09:48:18 pm »

Question, is replacing my Quarrelers with Bugman's Rangers worth it?

On one hand, better baseline melee stats, regeneration, and a nice booze buff.

On the other hand, twice the armor and a bit more max ammo.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: June 29, 2017, 10:15:01 pm »

Don't forget unless you mod it, RoR units don't benefit from your tech or lord bonuses so you can very easily end up with regular troops being stronger than them. So I would say I would grab quarrelers or standard rangers before I grabbed Bugman's. That being said, I would totally get the axe throwing rangers before either of those. Those things are so scary.

I kinda treat most RoR units as just emergency troops anyway. There are only a few that are actually fearsome.

Like, for the Dwarfs, the only ones I actually take note of are the steam Irondrakes, the RoR Hammerers, and the super Gyrobomber. The rest are just... meh.

They're good for MP since they're cost effective there, but in campaign you usually end up with stronger regular infantry.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: June 29, 2017, 10:20:08 pm »

...Huh.

Well, that's annoying.

But I mean the Bugman's Rangers you get if you have a Dwarf Brewery and a Ranger Outpost in the same region.

The Renowned Rangers are the axe throwers. Well, an axe thrower.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: June 29, 2017, 10:39:23 pm »

Yah, Bugman's Rangers aren't a regiment of renown. I would assume bonuses that apply to rangers would also apply to them.

As for replacing quarrelers. For me I wouldn't. Quarrelers, with their good armour and melee stats (for a ranged unit) make up an emergency backline, able to fight off skirmishers and other flankers. Rangers are faster but more lightly armoured, better for flanking the battleline and shooting into the rear of engaged enemy units. I would only use maybe 2 units of Bugman's Rangers, placing them along my line so they cover most of my units with their booze buff and their speed means they can respond to enemies faster.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: June 29, 2017, 10:52:19 pm »

Hmm. Maybe my army compo would help here.

I've been using a Runelord/Master Engineer or Legendary Lord/Runesmith combo for my Lords and Heroes.

Front line is six Ironbreakers.

Six Quarrelers with Great Weapons for twang twang.

Two Grudge Throwers and two Cannons for arty.

2 slots that're either Hammerers for anti-flanking, Thunderers for same, or some other wildcard setup.

Tend to build a very boxy formation. Rather bad at countering flanking, though.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: June 29, 2017, 11:38:27 pm »

Seems fine to me. I'd get more Gyrocopters though. They're practically the best unit in their entire arsenal, especially brimstone guns.

I also almost never use hammerers. I know it's heresy but they really aren't that good... I'd rather have slayers than hammerers honestly.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: June 29, 2017, 11:43:03 pm »

Seems fine to me. I'd get more Gyrocopters though. They're practically the best unit in their entire arsenal, especially brimstone guns.

I also almost never use hammerers. I know it's heresy but they really aren't that good... I'd rather have slayers than hammerers honestly.
Hmm. They tend to just get shredded by ranged units when I use them. I try and use them like skirmishers. That the right way?

Also, a comparison of Bugman's Rangers, Quarrelers, and Quarrelers with Great Weapons.

Bugmans---Quarrelers---QGW.
Melee attack:21----------16-----------18
Melee defense:31--------28------------18
Weapon Strength:31-----28------------28
Leadership:----75--------66------------66
Armor:---------40--------80------------80

Also, this is without the Vanguard Proficiency buff to the Rangers, which earns +5 Melee Defense and +10% speed.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: June 29, 2017, 11:47:46 pm »

Hmm. They tend to just get shredded by ranged units when I use them. I try and use them like skirmishers. That the right way?
You normally just send them in the flank, preferably without them getting shot to pieces.

They also shred large units. Even ethereal ones like hexwraiths for some reason. The anti-large bonus is strong.

But seriously, get Gyrocopters. You don't even have to micro them as they never have problems aiming at things due to them flying over everyone. They always end battles with the majority of the kills.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: June 30, 2017, 01:45:30 am »

You normally just send them in the flank, preferably without them getting shot to pieces.

They also shred large units. Even ethereal ones like hexwraiths for some reason. The anti-large bonus is strong.

But seriously, get Gyrocopters. You don't even have to micro them as they never have problems aiming at things due to them flying over everyone. They always end battles with the majority of the kills.
Huh. Mine just die, but okay. I'll give it a shot. Testing how Bugman's Rangers do in an army with Belegar, sent to cleanse that area up above the Vaults of Grobi. Figured it'd be fitting.

Also, I had a big damn heroes moment.

Kholek Suneater, Dragon Ogre Shaggoth, had come to Nuln. With an army of Chosen, Gorebeast Chariots, Marauder Horsemen with axes, and three Hellcannons, he was more than fit to sunder the walls and cast down the lords inside.

All that stood was the garrison. Nuln was the last of the great empire cities, with a full garrison, and so sallied onto the field, to sunder the corrupted host before the walls.

They broke. The madness-granted strength of the Chosen hewed apart their front lines of Greatswords, and they fell, even as well over half of the blighted horde lay a corpse.

And then a rock smacked Kholek in the head so hard he dropped dead.

A rock with writing on it.

The Dwarves came over the hill. Longbeards, even some Miners had joined the host, as Rangers hid in the forest and shredded the unsuspecting horsemen. The umgi watched, watched as the remaining forces were shot apart before even hitting the front lines.

Only the Hellcannons proved to kill truly, sheer distance meaning that when the rest of the army broke, they loosed wrath until Dwarven legs could get in close and cut them apart.

Seriously, I flat out saved Nuln at the last turn possible and Kholek was so fucked up one direct Grudge Thrower shot killed him.

They died damn hard, though. Breaking Chosen with Greatswords is no mean feat. GJ Empire garrison. You didn't even have upgraded walls for a better garrison than a tier V city has, and you gave what'd likely be a pyrrhic victory to a full stack.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: June 30, 2017, 09:10:26 am »

Slayers need to be babysat, but they are simply the best anti-large unit I've seen so far. You want to keep them out of the firing range of any ranged unit until they engage in melee. Make sure that when they engage the enemy they're fighting is between them and the enemy archers, so it will act like a meatshield.

They are not skirmishers, they are suicidal monster killers. So you'll want to bring them out only when you know you'll be fighting against factions with monsters or a lot of cavalry. This means they are not optimal vs Empire or an elf-heavy Wood Elf comp, but for everything else...

They also make great siege weapon bodyguards.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: June 30, 2017, 10:13:43 pm »

A new part of "The Ritual", a small interactive puzzle, has been put up. Try and guess the word in this part from the video on the Total War Facebook page.
(Note: I found that I had to copy-paste the answer into the textbox as I couldn't type it in. My browser is Firefox.)

Success will give you another code to submit to your Total War Access dashboard page.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: June 30, 2017, 10:24:50 pm »

Hmm. I think you need to figure out the order of the little letters on the Lizardmen. Noooot sure how though.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: July 01, 2017, 08:44:35 am »

The reward this time is a text based game where you control an elf investigating a disturbance in the jungle. I've yet to find a way to survive against an unknown underground enemy.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 277