Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491375 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #3390 on: November 03, 2018, 10:54:19 pm »

Urgh the Great Power diplomacy malus in all TW/Paradox games really pisses me off - it's basically just a flat 'you're doing well' penalty which makes no logical sense. Always modded out instantly.

It makes perfect sense. The worst part of any 4x style game is the last say... 25% - 33% or so where it's just a foregone conclusion and you're mindlessly mopping up the enemy.

Great power malus is basically just a soft version of the realm divide from S2 - It's not punishing you for doing well, it's rewarding you by keeping the game interesting. If nobody likes you, it means you have to attack (or at least defend) multiple fronts instead of just building 10 doomstacks, clumping them up, and rolling over the AIs one at a time.

Maybe it's not handled perfectly (I'm actually not sure how it works) but the idea behind it at least is good.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: November 03, 2018, 11:29:24 pm »

The problem is that it starts having an effect way before that point.  Conquer your neighbors to fast and then you finally meet someone that naturally would love you, and also naturally hated the people you took over; but because you now are so much bigger they automatically hate you and you can't even try and stem the eventual declaration of war in 6 turns after contact.  Oh well, only 250 more regions of 298 to go.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: November 04, 2018, 01:11:07 am »

Also it doesn't make sense to players. Just feels arbitrary and convoluted.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: November 04, 2018, 05:27:33 am »

It makes a certain amount of sense. Big, expanding empires are going to be threatening and make people fear they’ll be next. Usually fighting their enemies and whatnot gets you enough positive modifiers to counter it anyway. Also, IIRC Settra (all Tomb Kings?) have an opposite modifier which makes them easy allies in the late game.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: November 04, 2018, 06:32:30 am »

Yah, Settra and some other factions do admire large empires. I usually take the great power penalty as a "you're big and probably going to come after us next" type thing.

Though I do understand. Diplomacy is difficult, especially for some factions. In particular, everyone has an aversion to Skaven, which makes sense of course, but it's difficult to feel the Skavens habit of manipulation. Greasing factions relations with gold helps some what, I've done that when playing as Von Carsteins to get Vampire Counts to ally with me so I can confederate later on, but it tends to require repeated gifts over quite a few turns. Though that comes in with another issue; why give gold, unless you want all the Legendary Lords together, if you can just take what you want via force.

Related to the Skaven aversion, it sometimes feels like destruction factions (Greenskins in particular), because no one really likes them, they get dogpiled by other order factions like Dwarfs and Border Princes early on meaning they don't survive often beyond 100 turns.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: November 05, 2018, 07:02:59 am »

CA has announced changes to a bunch of LLs, most of them old ones, coming in the next patch. I've compiled what I could find below, with a few notes in parenthesis when I felt that it needed some explanation. If a LL or even a race does not appear below, it's because there's no change. Unless otherwise noted, all these effects go on top of previous ones.

Spoiler: High Elves (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dark Elves (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skaven (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Empire (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dwarfs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Greenskins (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vampire Counts (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Norsca (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bretonnia (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wood Elves (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Beastmen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Warriors of Chaos (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Helman Ghorst
+12 charge bonus for Corpse Carts

EDIT: I swear, lists are finnicky in this forum
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 07:50:27 am by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: November 05, 2018, 07:52:39 am »

I'm rather suprised at the -40 Relations with Khatep Morathi gets. From what I see Khatep already has a hard time up there dealing with Dark Elves, Skaven and Norsca, not really lasting long or expanding that far.

The -1 turn recruitment time for Bestigors with Khazrak is nice. I understand that they're a bit of an oddity in the Beastmen army (heavily armoued troops) but 3 turns often means you're taking 3 turns of currency drain, something you can't really afford until later on.

Oh boy, +5% Ward save on all units in Archaons army.

The leadership buff Karl Franz gets should be useful and the increased reinforcement range for Grombrindal to 50% will surely be most annoying.

Heinrich Kemmlar's increase to diplomacy with worshippers of Chaos is interesting. I don't know if he had any real ties to Chaos outside of Krell, maybe it's to do with him being in Drachenfels (Blackstone Pass)?

Is Azhag supposed to have -25% Construction Cost for Settlement Cain Buildings? -25 Construction time would be interesting with buildings being built several turns before you can get them.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: November 05, 2018, 08:19:34 am »

Heinrich Kemmlar's increase to diplomacy with worshippers of Chaos is interesting. I don't know if he had any real ties to Chaos outside of Krell, maybe it's to do with him being in Drachenfels (Blackstone Pass)?
Kemmler, in addition to being the OC (do not steal) of Warhammer, is pretty much a Chaos necromancer.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: November 05, 2018, 09:10:54 am »

Kemmler, in addition to being the OC (do not steal) of Warhammer, is pretty much a Chaos necromancer.

Hm, knew he was pretty much the first character but I only really know him as the Wanderer. I didn't know that he had more ties to chaos then Krell.
::Reads:: Ah I see. He made a deal with the chaos gods to restore his mind and powers.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: November 05, 2018, 03:49:36 pm »

I feel like giving more melee defense and physical resistance to flagellants was... uncalled for.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: November 05, 2018, 04:18:55 pm »

I feel like giving more melee defense and physical resistance to flagellants was... uncalled for.
Only for Volkmar's army though. And Volkmar isn't exactly a great lord to use in combat.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: November 05, 2018, 04:56:58 pm »

Only for Volkmar's army though. And Volkmar isn't exactly a great lord to use in combat.
It probably gives his army one of the best tarpits for Empire though.

EDIT: Too bad it's just his army and so to have that you need to sacrifice the great effects granted by Karl and Gelt.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:09:58 pm by Teneb »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: November 05, 2018, 06:54:11 pm »

Well, I completed my tomb Kings campaign. From horrible grind of endless skeleton trash hordes against the lizardmen, to the grind of endless elite skeleton trash hordes with big stompy constructs against elite hoerth sword master elven hordes.

I am now very tired of trash-main armies. What would be the most different gameplay faction?

I already tried the dwarves, but they seemed so impossibly slow to do anything.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: November 05, 2018, 07:29:35 pm »

Well, I completed my tomb Kings campaign. From horrible grind of endless skeleton trash hordes against the lizardmen, to the grind of endless elite skeleton trash hordes with big stompy constructs against elite hoerth sword master elven hordes.

I am now very tired of trash-main armies. What would be the most different gameplay faction?

I already tried the dwarves, but they seemed so impossibly slow to do anything.
Lizardmen. Also Chaos.

Both involve walking in a straight line towards your enemy and killing everything in your way with really expensive units and lords that can solo entire universes.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: November 05, 2018, 07:36:05 pm »

Almost every faction starts out as trash-main, off the top of my head only dwarves, Wood Elves and lizards have basic units with reasonable stats. Dwarf Warriors, Saurus and Eternal Guard/Dryads are all notable for being pretty well statted for where you get them, and even the basic wood elf archers are scarily effective with the fire on the move and massive range combo.

Chaos low tiers are trash, but it's not hard to get to the level where you can start churning out their midtier chaos warriors within a few turns of starting.

If you're just after elite endgame armies, most of them will let you swap out your early tiers of chaff for either a solid anvil infantry unit or a good attacker, along with the support in either flankers or ranged to demolish a foe. Maybe not Bretonnia; their infantry never gets good.

Avoid skaven like the plague.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 277