Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 489149 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #3750 on: November 19, 2020, 11:12:07 pm »

I think the reason people complain about more Skaven (I'm not complaining, mind) is less about the Eshin DLC and more about the Skryre DLC. Skaven weapons teams are both amazing and incredibly powerful (in SP, at least), and the Ikit Claw campaign lets you give them at-times hilarious layers of additional buffs (what's better than gatling guns? Gatling guns with infinite ammo). Skaven went from being a pretty bland faction at launch to having a robust roster and interesting campaign mechanics like Undercities.

Although these days I honestly spend more time playing with mod-factions than others. Cataph's faction mods and OVN lost factions are all in pretty great places, and the CTT balance mod provides a nice alternative system that limits doomstacks and encourages more army variety.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: November 20, 2020, 05:56:10 am »

Yeah Ikit and his goons is what got me to love Skaven, and I think that's ok to have borderline OP stuff in a single player campaign as it makes it more fun for most people, if you want a challenge you just don't use that stuff.

As for the upcoming DLC, seems like we'll be getting an Ikit 2 : Biotech Boogaloo for the Skaven, which I'm all for, giving them the option of going monster or dakka seems like a good idea.

Wood Elves on the other hand, ehhh, as much as I love the High/Dark Elves I've never cared much for their hippie cousins, tho, I might get their DLC finally if this turns out interesting enough.

I'm just trying to figure out where they'll fit the new Skaven lord on the Vortex map, ME start is obvious enough with the Hell Pit (or whatever it's called) but I got no clue what they'll reshuffle for Vortex since that map is pretty goddamn packed with LL starts.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: November 20, 2020, 08:51:19 am »

Although these days I honestly spend more time playing with mod-factions than others. Cataph's faction mods and OVN lost factions are all in pretty great places, and the CTT balance mod provides a nice alternative system that limits doomstacks and encourages more army variety.
I used to play the game modded to hell and back but then I figured out that all these mods were making the game slow (especially when loading) af. So now I'm a vanilla basic scrub.

EDIT: I guess Lustriabowl is going to get even more packed?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: November 20, 2020, 11:05:16 am »

If I remember right the major modders have made strides in performance improvements over the course of this year, though you're still going to need a good SSD to deal with the sheer size of everything.

(That said I haven't used SFO / other further-reaching overhauls, so can't vouch for their performance impacts.)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: November 20, 2020, 11:40:06 am »

If I remember right the major modders have made strides in performance improvements over the course of this year, though you're still going to need a good SSD to deal with the sheer size of everything.

(That said I haven't used SFO / other further-reaching overhauls, so can't vouch for their performance impacts.)
Well see, I have HDDs. SSDs are expensive here in The South. Especially ones that won't become full after merely installing this game.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: November 20, 2020, 11:43:23 am »

What are that weird lizard snapping turtle centaur (mage?) unit in the trailer?
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: November 20, 2020, 11:54:12 am »

Zoats. They are an odd one in that they are a weird import from 40k (where they are a Tyranid unit!). But here they look like a monster unit with a bound (unspecified) lore of life spell.

Also I love how Ariel is bizarre like her miniature.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: November 20, 2020, 11:55:15 am »

Well see, I have HDDs. SSDs are expensive here in The South. Especially ones that won't become full after merely installing this game.

Fair enough, though nowadays there are decent ones (~500gb) available for roughly the price of a new AAA game. (That assumes you have the setup to accommodate another drive, admittedly.)

Zoats, apparently.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: November 20, 2020, 01:07:21 pm »

Zoates magoates!

Thanks ;)
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: November 24, 2020, 01:31:01 pm »

Maybe now they'll come out of their f'ing forests.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: November 24, 2020, 06:03:56 pm »

Maybe now they'll come out of their f'ing forests.
Yeah, the issue with the elves has never been them lacking good or cool units, although I will concede that this will open up more playstyles for their armies which is always nice, its been them having to run around like chickens with their heads cut off putting out fires cause they can never raise more than 3 good armies or have any actual garrisons outside the forest even after they conquer fifty settlements.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: November 24, 2020, 06:58:28 pm »

Hell I haven't even tried to play them. I'm talking about the AI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTaIyoG4XiU

In 4 150+ turn coop campaigns now, I've seen the WE leave their forests exactly once, and that was to gank a single full army that I happened to stray too close to da trees.

(We razed that forest 15 turns later.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: November 24, 2020, 07:36:56 pm »

They are pretty annoying, yeah.

In my current game I've got a single army (assisting/assisted by a Skaven ally) conquering the Bretonnians. The wood elves are at war, and have something like 4 armies in a giant deathball in the forest. If I leave the adjacent settlements unguarded they'll swoop in and raze them, but otherwise just sit pretty in the forest.

And so they drive progress in the region to a halt until I can focus a bunch of armies together.

Wood elves generally aren't my thing thematically, but the Drycha faction (just trees and animals, no elves allowed from what I've seen) does sound interesting.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: November 25, 2020, 12:43:54 am »

I think the Wood Elf A.I. was changed a number of updates ago because they would expand a lot and people found it annoying to fight armies made up of lots of kiting, skirmish archers. I believe the way their A.I. works now is that occationally they'll get really aggressive, attack and expand a bit, then calm down and go defensive and passive again.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 277