Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 83291 times)

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2015, 07:20:32 am »

Finished The Great Hunt, on to The Dragon Reborn.

I'm averaging about one WoT book a month. I should be finished early next year at this rate.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2015, 12:44:12 pm »

Just finished A Dance of Dragons. Now I am reading through a pdf file with almost all of H.P. Lovecraft's works in it. I am enjoying it so far. I also have a huge list of books that I want to read, but just haven't gotten to yet.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2015, 08:08:10 pm »

Finished Lovecraft's The Thing on the Doorstep. Never read that before, that was a nice Lovecrafty short-story.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2015, 08:12:53 pm »

Finished Lovecraft's The Thing on the Doorstep. Never read that before, that was a nice Lovecrafty short-story.
I liked that too, although most reviewers apparently hate it for not being "cosmic" enough.
Read Waiting for Godot a few days back.

I have a new favorite play.
Lucky's speech is still to this day the most difficult monologue for an actor to learn.
I can imagine. At least they don't have to memorize anything else.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2015, 08:25:24 pm »

I liked that too, although most reviewers apparently hate it for not being "cosmic" enough.
It's a perfect example of a pulpy Lovecraft tale. It's got everything you' expect. It's got Arkham, the Miskatonic, Innsmouth, Miskatonic University and the Necronomicon, an unreliable narrator, two good friends who get caught up in horrible eldritch plots due to their love of seedy creepy eldritch stuff, use of Cyclopean in regards to ancient architecture, lots of vocabulary you'd never know existed otherwise, chanting and ravings including terms like shoggoth and Shub-Niggurath, people getting locked away in asylums, all the lovecrafty tropes.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2015, 10:32:05 am »

I just read We are all completely fine from the last humble book bundle(before the transformers one on now).  It was really really good!  Its also nice and short(about 100 pages).
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2015, 11:49:43 pm »

Terry Prattchett's "Moving Pictures"
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 12, 2015, 12:57:47 am »

-pyramidsnip-
It's a perfect example of a pulpy Lovecraft tale. It's got everything you' expect. It's got Arkham, the Miskatonic, Innsmouth, Miskatonic University and the Necronomicon, an unreliable narrator, two good friends who get caught up in horrible eldritch plots due to their love of seedy creepy eldritch stuff, use of Cyclopean in regards to ancient architecture, lots of vocabulary you'd never know existed otherwise, chanting and ravings including terms like shoggoth and Shub-Niggurath, people getting locked away in asylums, all the lovecrafty tropes.
Same reason I liked it. I also liked Shadow over Innsmouth, which was also panned by critics for the same reason. The pulpy stuff makes for better individual stories, which is also why I liked The Hobbit more than the dry, in-depth further works of Tolkien.

The one Lovecraft story I don't think I'll ever finish is the one where the narrator goes out of his way to mention his cat with the racist name I forgot every few seconds. I tried reading that once, but I just couldn't take it seriously.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 12, 2015, 01:17:21 am »

-pyramidsnip-
Same reason I liked it. I also liked Shadow over Innsmouth, which was also panned by critics for the same reason. The pulpy stuff makes for better individual stories, which is also why I liked The Hobbit more than the dry, in-depth further works of Tolkien.

The one Lovecraft story I don't think I'll ever finish is the one where the narrator goes out of his way to mention his cat with the racist name I forgot every few seconds. I tried reading that once, but I just couldn't take it seriously.

I don't remember that one. Was the cat at least named something that could conceivably be innocuous depending on the cat's appearance (like "darkie") or was it named something less ambiguous like "Golliwog" or "mandingo"?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 12, 2015, 01:42:39 am »

-quote snip-

I don't remember that one. Was the cat at least named something that could conceivably be innocuous depending on the cat's appearance (like "darkie") or was it named something less ambiguous like "Golliwog" or "mandingo"?
Story's called Rats in the Walls. Cat's name was Nigger-Man in the original, but in a republishing in a magazine it was changed to Black Tom. In most publications now I'm pretty sure it sticks with Lovecraft's naming. No. No it's not really ambiguous.

Still a great story. Can't let some vocabulary completely ruin a good story, look at the whole Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn stuff. You should totally finish Rats in the Walls, Taw.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 12, 2015, 01:52:20 am »

-quote snip-

Story's called Rats in the Walls. Cat's name was Nigger-Man in the original, but in a republishing in a magazine it was changed to Black Tom. In most publications now I'm pretty sure it sticks with Lovecraft's naming. No. No it's not really ambiguous.

Still a great story. Can't let some vocabulary completely ruin a good story, look at the whole Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn stuff. You should totally finish Rats in the Walls, Taw.

Oh my! That's much worse than mandingo or golliwog!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 12, 2015, 03:24:41 pm »

Terry Prattchett's "Moving Pictures"

Is it full of Rush references?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 12, 2015, 03:45:14 pm »

I finished A Dance with Dragons a few days ago, the ending was really bloody good.

I'm now onto reading Deadhouse Gates in the Malazan Books of the Fallen

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 12, 2015, 03:50:56 pm »

I finished A Dance with Dragons a few days ago, the ending was really bloody good.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2015, 05:55:28 pm »

God, I'm so upset about Pratchett. I wonder if I should read something he wrote or just try not to think about it too much.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 58