Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 83250 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #300 on: August 25, 2015, 04:50:15 pm »

Finished Neuromancer. I have to say, I really like some of Gibson's descriptive writing. The description of the matrix the first time Case jacks in is a good example. I'm not entirely sure how I'd describe it, sort of stream-of-consciousness descriptions I suppose.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 25, 2015, 06:03:57 pm »

I just finished Owlsight by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon. As is my occasional habit, it's the second work in a trilogy that I haven't read the first book of, although I'm somewhat familiar with the overall setting. Certainly an interesting book, although from a plot construction sense, it's a bit odd. Book-changing spoiler below, so be aware if you want to read it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edited because I wasn't proper using mvm conflict.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:31:44 pm by Strife26 »
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 25, 2015, 06:11:00 pm »

Borges: La bibliotheca de Babel. Weeeeeird, sort of Kafkaesque, but very interesting.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 26, 2015, 07:34:40 am »

From Cracked(the website) to (long-de\d) forums like this.
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 27, 2015, 07:18:39 pm »

Just finished a book of the entire history of US foreign policy from pre-Revolution all the way up to and just after the clusterfuck of Iraqi Freedom. Quite interesting.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 31, 2015, 01:25:22 am »

I finished Memories of Ice yesterday. I may have cried because I had grown attached.
Spoiler: Real Actual Spoilers (click to show/hide)
I'm now reading Feet of Clay and finding it excellent so far.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 01, 2015, 02:25:03 pm »

Recently finished reading a book called "The Golem and the Jinni"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 01, 2015, 02:28:15 pm »

I finished reading The Savage Detectives, it was pretty great.
Kind of confusing, but great.

Now I'm reading Colonel Greene and the Copper Skyrocket, by C.L. Sonnichsen.
It's nonfiction (I think?) about the region I'm in at the moment. Somewhat interesting so far.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 01, 2015, 06:04:41 pm »

Finished the entire Dune Chronicles while I was in Europe. And damn, those last three books were a real slog. About 2/3rds through The Once And Future King, and the latter half is turning out to be one of the more depressing things I've read in a while. (Earnestly depressing, not like, 40K depressing.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 02, 2015, 01:51:00 am »

I've read two books recently the first being

"Wild Swans the three daughters of China"
It's about real family history of 3 generations of women. Recounting their history over the last century. The cultural revolution bit was very interesting and informative.

"Stoner"
It's a completely fictional book of a farmer's son Born in 1910. It's a book about the struggles and victories of a normal life.

Both of these books are perfect for me as I like reading about someone's story right from when they are born to when they die.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 02, 2015, 02:10:24 am »

Borges: La bibliotheca de Babel. Weeeeeird, sort of Kafkaesque, but very interesting.

Just saw this. I really enjoy Borges stuff. It's out there but still readable. The Library of Babel is one of my favs.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 02, 2015, 08:54:52 am »

Recently read a translation of "The three body problem" (三体) by Liu Cyxin(刘慈欣), a science fiction novel which is basically Contact in the Chinese Cultural Revolution era. Interesting characters and it's the first time I read a novelized account of life in 70's china. Very interesting stuff, I think the following novel will be translated fairly soon. Fair warning, it's not a novel where a lot happens, it's more of a slow burner, but it's the kind of novel that you keep thinking about a long time after you read it.

That one's on my to read list! I believe the second book has already been translated, but I could be mistaken. If it isn't it will be very soon.
I just grabbed a copy of this one myself! And yes, the second book has been translated into English.

Also reading Old Man's War and Redshirts, both by John Scalzi. The latter promises to be a fun read -- basically a Star Trek expy that deconstructs it by viewing it through the eyes of the expendable security teams, who are seemingly the only ones with any common sense.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 02, 2015, 10:12:01 am »

I recently finished Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn trilogy, which was excellent. I don't think I've ever seen such an interesting and well developed first person perspective in any form of media.

I'm in the process of preparing myself to re-read the A Song of Ice and Fire series. It's a hefty task, but after finishing the series early in the year I've only become more interested in it.

I've also been getting into the Warcraft novels, which I was at first hesitant about and still not entirely sure where I stand on them. Arthas: Rise of the Lich King was good, overall, but man am I peeved about some of the things she chose to add or omit from the novel. I've been reading through the Warcraft Archive (Day of the Dragon, Lord of the Clans and The Last Guardian) on the side. So far I'm half way through LotC. Day of the Dragon was much better than I expected. Not great but agreeable, would have been better if the two main protagonists were anywhere near as interesting as all the other characters. Krasus' meeting with Malygos was amazing. One thing that peeved me is that, as it was written (relatively) early in the franchise's history, there are a bunch of things that don't fit with the lore. Thing is, it was written while Warcraft III was being made and the writer was collaborating with the game's writers to an extent and there appear things that just flat out don't even line up with what we see in the game, things that I suppose I'd put to the writer's past with Dungeons & Dragons novels and sticking to his own precedent regarding these things. Lord of the Clans is quite enjoyable so far. I haven't read much of it for a while though, I should get back.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 02, 2015, 12:51:32 pm »

Finished Neuromancer. I have to say, I really like some of Gibson's descriptive writing. The description of the matrix the first time Case jacks in is a good example. I'm not entirely sure how I'd describe it, sort of stream-of-consciousness descriptions I suppose.
I absolutely adore Gibson's style of writing. I dunno, I just had a great time reading Neuromancer.

Thinking of starting Ian M Bank's "The Culture" series.
Anybody read it?
Protip: start with the second book. The first one isn't very good, imo.

I don't have anything to read myself right now. I should order some more books from this list: a thread in life advice with B12s science fiction recommendations, or continue reading Pratchett's young adult novels (which i dont have anything against, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 12:53:22 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #314 on: September 02, 2015, 12:56:09 pm »

or continue reading Pratchett's young adult novels (which i dont have anything against, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing)

Pfft. I read Discworld for like two months straight of intensive reading (I think I was going at a book per two days) and I'm showing no ill-effects. Doo eet.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 58