Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 82804 times)

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #330 on: October 05, 2015, 10:24:37 pm »

I'm rereading accelerando fun. The end is such a downer.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 06, 2015, 01:43:09 am »

The Mistborn series... again... again again... again again again. :P

I can't help it, but something about this particular series just hits all the right notes, making me from a person who used to always respond to the "what's your favorite book series" with "I don't know, there's so many good ones" into one who responds "The Mistborn series, by Brandon Sanderson". The complex but extremely well defined magic systems that characters aren't afraid to use or explain, the fun and complex characters, a female character who isn't afraid to be a real character, stories of good against evil that isn't necessarily always evil (and other times is)... it all just adds up to make a series that definitely comes out on the top of my favorites list. This must be like time number 8 rereading the series in just these last couple of years, and I'm still loving every moment of it. :D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 07, 2015, 12:04:50 am »

I love it when you find a really good bookshop during the holidays and buy a book then finish and then keep going back to that shop and buying heaps of books. I read American Gods, The Long Earth and Vengeance in this manner and then I finished House of Chains and so it is now time to read Midnight Tides after I re-read Days of Blood and Starlight and Dreams of Gods and Monsters.

The Mistborn series... again... again again... again again again. :P

I can't help it, but something about this particular series just hits all the right notes, making me from a person who used to always respond to the "what's your favorite book series" with "I don't know, there's so many good ones" into one who responds "The Mistborn series, by Brandon Sanderson". The complex but extremely well defined magic systems that characters aren't afraid to use or explain, the fun and complex characters, a female character who isn't afraid to be a real character, stories of good against evil that isn't necessarily always evil (and other times is)... it all just adds up to make a series that definitely comes out on the top of my favorites list. This must be like time number 8 rereading the series in just these last couple of years, and I'm still loving every moment of it. :D

I can believe that, I really enjoyed Steelheart and am looking forward to getting Firefight and while they're a different series they both show off his skills as a writer far more than his finishing of Wheel of Time did.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 08, 2015, 05:19:51 am »

You do know that yesterday Mistborn #5 was published?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #334 on: October 08, 2015, 05:22:12 am »

It's not part of the same trilogy. The Wax books are good, but they're not the same (not saying they're worse, just that they have a different makeup).

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 08, 2015, 06:21:06 am »

I'm enjoying a lot the latest "Warded Man" book ( Peter V Brett). The previous were good enough. But this one? Characters are getting killed off at a rate worthy of GOT
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #336 on: October 08, 2015, 10:39:10 am »

I'm enjoying a lot the latest "Warded Man" book ( Peter V Brett). The previous were good enough. But this one? Characters are getting killed off at a rate worthy of GOT

The Demon Cycle is picking up a heck (Core?) of a lot as it goes along. The recent book(s?) are quite a bit better than the older ones.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 19, 2015, 05:48:38 am »

It's not part of the same trilogy. The Wax books are good, but they're not the same (not saying they're worse, just that they have a different makeup).

Yes, I know. At the same time, I find them more interesting than the "original" trilogy, as they present a world with magic that cohexists with technology. And not technology enhanced by magic like in The Stormlight Archive, but real technology used by non-magic people. And, more in particular in the second one, a world that is changing because of technology and not by the actions of the main characters (like in Wheel of Time, even the introduction of gunpowder warfare is driven by them).
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 19, 2015, 07:50:38 am »

Rereading Count of Monte Cristo. Is good.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 19, 2015, 12:27:40 pm »

Crime and Punishment. Grimdark.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 19, 2015, 12:29:33 pm »

Yeah and I had it (and the eventual #3 of the Wax trilogy) both preordered. :P

Haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, but it's sitting at my parent's house waiting for the weekend when I can pick it up.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 19, 2015, 12:44:30 pm »

Crime and Punishment. Grimdark.

Fun fact: that book is in high school curriculum in Russia.
Can't allow them youths to have positive thoughts.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 19, 2015, 12:46:39 pm »

You should think yourself lucky. We have to read Susan Hill's possibly more depressing and less enjoyable "I'm the King of the Castle". At least Dostoevsky isn't mediocre middlebrow ::)
One wheel short of a wagon

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 19, 2015, 01:52:07 pm »

At least Dostoevsky isn't mediocre middlebrow ::)

That's possibly the most whelming insult i've heard.

I'm going to start reading some Guant's Ghosts again. I love that series.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 19, 2015, 02:36:45 pm »

I just want to say that Cosmic Banditos was one of the best books I ever finished over the course of a slow evening.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 58