I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 581122 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #960 on: February 20, 2015, 03:24:50 am »

I never was disrespectful about anybodys religion at this time.
Unless you do believe in fairy tales written by the dehydrated.
You must have a different definition of "respectful" to me, then, because you're making jokes that are explicitly derogatory (and maybe even a little racist).
And you keep doing it literally the sentence after you insist that you're not doing it.

Please get your act together.

It would only be racist if he explicitly said that a white (or whatever) person living in the same desert would not be dehydrated

EDIT:
Or if he explicitly said that middle-eastern people would still be dehydrated even if they live spmewhere with a lot of rainfall or large bodies of fresh water.

EDIT:
Also, I feel compelled to point out that he doesn't seem to make any explicit reference to not being disrespectful in the quoted post, only to not having been dosrespectful previously.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 03:29:39 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #961 on: February 20, 2015, 03:26:23 am »

Details.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: February 20, 2015, 03:32:09 am »

If anything the "dehydrated" comment is a dig at the climate. The conditions leading to it would obviously still remain even after a shift in racial demographics or even national borders.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: February 20, 2015, 03:39:13 am »

Yeah it was about the fact that any desert dweller that is dehydrated is prone to mental deficiency.

On another note.
Would you consider the glass of water you drink a part of you?
Too deep?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 04:17:44 am by That Wolf »
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #964 on: February 20, 2015, 03:39:56 am »

Screw it, I'm going to bed.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #965 on: February 20, 2015, 06:16:45 am »

Why correct something so trivial?

Because it's the difference between Adam and Eve being unthinking animals and Adam and Eve being unaware of the concept of morality. One might as well call the Tree of Life just the Tree - I mean, it's safe to assume anyone eating from it would already be alive, right?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: February 20, 2015, 06:27:09 am »

Because it's the difference between Adam and Eve being unthinking animals and Adam and Eve being unaware of the concept of morality. One might as well call the Tree of Life just the Tree - I mean, it's safe to assume anyone eating from it would already be alive, right?
Interesting you say that. Where adam and eve "unthinking animals"  before the consuption of the fruit. So they had no choice but to eat it and the god gets upset? Im sure thats wrong.

Do you consider the animals and plants that you eat to be a part of you?
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #967 on: February 20, 2015, 06:32:11 am »

Interesting you say that. Where adam and eve "unthinking animals"  before the consuption of the fruit. So they had no choice but to eat it and the god gets upset? Im sure thats wrong.

Yes, and that's exactly why it's important that it's the Tree of Knowledg of Good and Evil. They had knowledge, but not that which pertained specifically to morality.

Do you consider the animals and plants that you eat to be a part of you?

I probably have a bit of an odd stance on whether plants and animals are a part of me. I am intensely aware of the fact that my body is actually just a highly complicated self-regulating system, and have an odd sense of 'self'. In the sense that my food and drink is a part of the self-regulating system that I am/inhabit, yes, I do. However, I don't think they have any bearing on my self/spirit.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: February 20, 2015, 06:47:45 am »

In that light. Do you see the cells of your body as a part of you?
If not where does one draw the line that sustinance becomes you and you stop being you.
If you severed your hand. Is that hand 'you'
If its not anymore. Does eating it make it you again?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #969 on: February 20, 2015, 07:06:21 am »

The short answer to those is no and no.

It depends on how one defines oneself; I separate my consciousness from my vessel, although my vessel is obviously what holds and sustains my consciousness.

The cells are no more part of me than single enzymes or proteins, which are no more part of me than individual atoms.

If I severed my hand, it would be damage to my mechanical vessel. The severed hand would be no more or less part of me than anything else, really.

If I ate the severed hand (>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.) it would still be no more or less a part of me.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: February 20, 2015, 07:21:32 am »

Would you go as far as to say you, me and everybody/thing are the same.
That we are just one?
The only seperation being ego.

I respect your answer by the by

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #971 on: February 20, 2015, 07:22:26 am »

My consciousness is self-evidently not your consciousness. Therefore, no; separation by ego is separation.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: February 20, 2015, 08:04:25 am »

I didn't see this adressed so I'm just fomenting on an earlier bit
Wolf said that eating the fruit would cause childbirth
That is untrue because they could already reproduce. It just wouldnt have been painful, just like they were already naked but they didn't notice they were naked.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: February 20, 2015, 08:49:34 am »

Since you seem to think that the people who wrote the bible were "dehydrated" let me remind you: Mesopotamia was the most fertile place on earth in those days.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: February 20, 2015, 09:05:46 am »

I... wouldn't make as blanket nor as blunt a statement as our current drug-fried non-native speaking commentator, but it's fairly accurate to note that many (most, iirc) of the major players in the biblical text were, indeed, attributed as exhibiting fairly standard ascetic practices that are very well known to cause serious hallucination. Extended trips into the desert, onto mountains, etc., so forth, so on. Even when the general areas inhabited by people were in fairly good shape, the individuals the stories are told about left those areas and indulged in hardships that are strongly correlated with the human brain doing very odd things.

The folks that wrote the bible were likely in significantly different situations, though, so it's somewhat arguable how meaningful that truth is.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 521