I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582182 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #510 on: February 05, 2015, 04:03:23 pm »

And new religions bug me. If there's a deity out there that cares about humanity I think that they would've already contacted us prior to 1954. And they don't fill a need like the ancient religions did; there's very little out there that's still unexplained and needs explaining, and much of what is still unexplained is esoteric particle physics trivia that isn't very relevant to day to day life.

2000 years ago, I'm sure the people saw Christianity as an upstart-religion. In fact, less. A small cult with a few peasant followers.

We have some pretty good ideas of how Christians were seen in the century of so following Jesus' crucifixion, and it wasn't good. In fact, it sounds remarkably like how Jews were viewed in Christian cultures just a couple hundred years ago...

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/gladiators/graffito.html

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 05, 2015, 04:05:10 pm »

Islam, from an area with much sun and heat little water or colour. So you go slightly mad and think about god too much.
Same with early bibles just lead people to be to pious and end up mass killing. Circa 1200 christians crusading around raping and murdering... why? In the name of god of course. Shit, he does it in the bible. Compared to his kill count we cant be doing anything wrong.
Now we get upset that is keeps happening... I really do wonder why.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 05, 2015, 04:06:23 pm »

And new religions bug me. If there's a deity out there that cares about humanity I think that they would've already contacted us prior to 1954. And they don't fill a need like the ancient religions did; there's very little out there that's still unexplained and needs explaining, and much of what is still unexplained is esoteric particle physics trivia that isn't very relevant to day to day life.

2000 years ago, I'm sure the people saw Christianity as an upstart-religion. In fact, less. A small cult with a few peasant followers.
Yes, but it was a direct offshoot of Judiasm, a well established religion. Wicca isn't a direct offshoot of anything.
Fine, go back to the start of Judaism 4000 years ago. At the time, it was a newfangled religion. God should have revealed himself earlier.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 05, 2015, 04:09:52 pm »

Go to the bush for a few days, take a knife, good boots, warm clothing, small amount of food. Dried meat, some rice,
And you will find your 'self' thinking.. "oh a burger would be good right now, i feel like a coffee, this food is getting boring I want to eat a ham sandwich" you may even make a mental list of the foods you are going to eat upon going back home.
This is what you are evolved to do.
Meditation is realising these thoughts as they appear, sometimes even before they appear. Realising that you just live in your thoughts all your life without actually thinking about it.
Enlightenment is release from this way. Liberating yourself from millions of years of endless thoughts.
Have fun meditating, remember it takes practice. Its not something you pick up in a year or two.
Dont try for a few months then say you are adept at it, thats just hipster.
... the first bit isn't really evolution, nor is it a universal thing. I've been in that situation and... it doesn't work like that for everyone. I'm perfectly content to eat more or less the same thing and drink plain water pretty much indefinitely. It can be part of the socialization process, but it's not a terribly physiological thing.

As to the second bit, there's quite a few different sorts of meditation. Some of them -- frankly, the kind I personally use the most -- have absolutely nothing to do with thought processes and are entirely physical (ordered and organized breath and muscle control, in my case). Others focus on various different things and obtain their goal via different methods than what you're describing. Don't try to pigeonhole a very complicated and diverse practice, yeah?

Does tend to take a while to really pick up on, regardless, I'll give that. Do note that even relatively little time of some of the more basic, more physical sorts can net pretty good returns, though -- there's a reason simple breath control, a standard meditative practice, is part of a fair number of medical practices these days, even if just for short and temporary periods. It's good stuff.
Oh yeah I often sound very ignorant when im trying to get a point across.
My favourite meditation tecnique is using my tongue to reach into my nasopharanx thus blocking my nasal passage and drinking the essence of my soft palate.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:11:47 pm by That Wolf »
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 05, 2015, 04:15:09 pm »

Guys, Wolf is trolling.
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 05, 2015, 04:16:48 pm »

Yes, but it was a direct offshoot of Judiasm, a well established religion. Wicca isn't a direct offshoot of anything.
Fine, go back to the start of Judaism 4000 years ago. At the time, it was a newfangled religion. God should have revealed himself earlier.

No, he should have revealed himself upwards of 12,000 years ago, or further back to the point where we first started worshipping nature spirits and stuff. Really though, I don't know when people started worshipping nature spirits and developed pantheons.

If you guys can't tell already (or I may have said it once or twice), I'm probably atheist.

Editwhileposting: The heck Wolf?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:18:53 pm by smjjames »

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 05, 2015, 04:22:20 pm »

Its a true Form!! I dont do it.
But it has something to do with semen retention.
Yogis way back when did it.
They used to strech their tongues and even cut the part that holds your tongue to the bottom of your mouth..
Yeah I thought wtf when I read it. Its sposed to be a great acheivement at the time.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 05, 2015, 04:28:33 pm »

Guys, Wolf is trolling.
I don't know if it's intentional but he is being a bit disruptive.  And it's getting worse.
Might just be a language barrier issue, but...  Yeah.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 05, 2015, 04:29:06 pm »

When reading the ancient yogic texts, many references to khechari mudra can be found. All of which indicate that its practice leads to a state of immortality, in which the yogin no longer fears death, disease or suffering, and enters a state of Samadhi.

Disease, death, and sleep do not trouble him who knows khechari mudra, nor hunger and thirst, nor swoon.

-Yoga Chudamani Upanishad

Immortal liquor is the nectar exuding from the moon (pineal gland). It is produced by the fire, which is generated by inserting the tongue into the nasopharyngeal cavity..

Wow i read more about it and it has a conection to the pineal gland, which releases dmt upon death.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 05, 2015, 04:31:44 pm »

dmt?

And I may have heard of Samhadi before, DnD? I dunno.

And I call BS.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 05, 2015, 04:33:00 pm »

dmt?

Google it up.
Its in every living thing

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 05, 2015, 04:35:36 pm »

I gotta call bullshit on what you said about DMT. The stuff doesn't work that way.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 05, 2015, 04:36:13 pm »

dmt?

Google it up.

Like midichlorians?

Yes, I just invoked the Jedi.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 05, 2015, 04:38:42 pm »

Wow i read more about it and it has a conection to the pineal gland, which releases dmt upon death.

Please do not dig up this bit of bad science again. I thought we had finally killed it, as with the right-and-left-brained pop theory.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 05, 2015, 04:40:06 pm »

dmt?

Google it up.

Like midichlorians?

Yes, I just invoked the Jedi.
Yes just like midichlorians, the force is strong with this one.

I gotta call bullshit on what you said about DMT. The stuff doesn't work that way.
What part was bullshit?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 521