I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582891 times)

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1110 on: March 07, 2015, 07:59:28 am »

Eh. We can make deductions about a hypothetical god from the observable universe, it's just not necessarily wholly accurate (limited human cognition, bias, and so on and so forth). Things like "if God's so good why do bad things happen", among other things.
+1
God, just like any other theory should be held as such.
When relativity was a theory people accepted it as matter of fact, and until proven, theorys should be treated as such.
Its a dark and terrible world full of pain and wants, but if you search for your own peice of peace you can find it.
Perhaps thats just annother test God has set out for us.

What does the bible say about stillborn souls and similar situations? When does one become 'alive' and gain a soul?
It was probably brought up in the earlier threads.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: March 07, 2015, 08:26:54 am »

Eh. We can make deductions about a hypothetical god from the observable universe, it's just not necessarily wholly accurate (limited human cognition, bias, and so on and so forth). Things like "if God's so good why do bad things happen", among other things.
+1
When relativity was a theory people accepted it as matter of fact, and until proven, theorys should be treated as such.
Its a dark and terrible world full of pain and wants, but if you search for your own peice of peace you can find it.
Perhaps thats just annother test God has set out for us.

What does the bible say about stillborn souls and similar situations? When does one become 'alive' and gain a soul?
It was probably brought up in the earlier threads.
At the centre of the world there is a giant death ray. A tribe of aliens are drilling down to find it as we speak. They happen to be fish like, though, and so their drill is at the deepest part of the ocean floor. I got this information from a book written thousands of years ago, so no, we can't talk to the author. This is my theory. I now expect you all to hold it as fact.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: March 07, 2015, 08:30:39 am »

+1
What. Terminology pedantism aside, a theory is assumed *false* until proven. And a theory is proven by taking a prediction it makes that in a given condition X a result Y will occur and deemed plausible - not true, plausible - after various predictions are fulfilled over and over and over. And one single false prediction being found is the greatest thing that can happen to you as a scientist, because it means overturning an existing theory completely.

Meanwhile, religious claims are either unprovable at all or proven false before the followers claim the prediction really was something else all along - case in point, 'When Prophecy Fails'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1113 on: March 07, 2015, 08:33:55 am »

Edit: actually, I'm too tired and sick to try to defend anything right now.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:36:52 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: March 07, 2015, 08:39:33 am »

It's my memory that a bit of editing was used to patch the odd prophetic hole. I think Dawkins used the prophecy of micah as his example. And besides, prophecies are rather open to interpretation. Just abour anything fulfills them.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: March 07, 2015, 08:45:31 am »

Theory is theory, fact is fact.
As should be treated as such.
One accepts facts and builds on them.
Theorys should be tested until it breaks down or becomes a fact.

Yes the bible has obviously being proven false in the prophecies. But a deity itself should not be outright disproven due to lack of evidince.
Prophecy itself is a joke because human action is easy to predict so why rely on such?
Yes I agree you should never trust a religion that avoids to prove itself and asks you to have faith.
Blind faith is just that, blind.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: March 07, 2015, 09:06:46 am »

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but it's not evidence of presence either. You don't need to actively disprove the existence of an invisible pink cow in my garage, you simply don't believe in it in the first place.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: March 07, 2015, 10:23:37 am »

Indeed. If you can't see it how do you even get that it is pink? God's attributes are like the pinkness of an invisible cow. :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: March 07, 2015, 10:55:08 am »

Logical positivism was an early 20th century branch of philosophy, so there's been about a century of philosophical musing on it. In simple terms, it assumes that the world, and our thoughts about it, consist of elementary facts and that we can apply logical rules to these facts to establish the truth. However, probably the most famous phrase is translated as something like: on that we cannot speak we must remain silent. This is sometimes interpreted as ambivalence in logical positivism towards nonsense, mysticism, gods and so on. It doesn't outright deny their existence but says that philosophers can't say anything about them because they're inherently outside of logical analysis.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 07, 2015, 11:36:07 am »

To stretch a metaphor: a theory is as to a fact as a library is to a book.

I guess that makes a hypothesis a first-draft? And an experiment is... submission to the publisher?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: March 07, 2015, 11:38:13 am »

And an experiment is... submission to the publisher?
That sounds almost religious, Descan~
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: March 07, 2015, 11:41:57 am »

* Descan shrugs.

I just follow the evidence. If a God pops up and says hi, I'll acknowledge it. Probably wouldn't worship it, that's an ethical factor and unless it has a very good explanation, it can't be a very ethical being.

So I'm not against religion, I'm just against falsehoods and unethical behavior. Just that I consider most religions to be one and the same to that.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: March 07, 2015, 11:52:47 am »

Nonono, I meant that it sounded like the 'publisher' was God - you submit your thesis, and he decides - via your experiment failing or succeeding - whether he accepts it or not.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: March 07, 2015, 12:04:11 pm »

Heh. That's one interpretation.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: March 07, 2015, 12:21:26 pm »

Nonono, I meant that it sounded like the 'publisher' was God - you submit your thesis, and he decides - via your experiment failing or succeeding - whether he accepts it or not.
Wow, that could be a basis of a very weird, very interesting fantasy cosmology concept.

Creator as a particularly uncreative being that pretty much crowdsources the rules for the universe, but once they're down, they're set in stone.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 521