I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582299 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1365 on: March 25, 2015, 10:46:51 am »

Queueing:

The only reference I remember is in Revelations, meaning it is deeply couched in allegory, but the resurrected faithful attend court in the throneroom of heaven along with god, and are themselves luminous beings "like him."  It calls them a numberless multitude. So, rather than a queue, imagine something more like the shuffling masses of a comic con, or similar.

People come and go as they please, but it's reasonably easy to get to any particular "table" of interest.  There might be some local queueing, and the big guy might have a large number of fangirls complicating access,  but he is omnipresent, and if you want to petition him, it does not need to be in physical locality to the throne.

It's a different kind of existence; dont apply the limitations of the secular world on it.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: March 25, 2015, 02:10:28 pm »

Dwarfy must've made a typo. I think he meant

Doesn't hold up.

He's only in believers? Firstly, awfully convenient. Secondly, hardly the type of favouritism a father should show. Like only picking up the phone to certain kids.

Also, then you'd admit that the absolute, constant force in the universe is actually subjective dependent on place.
He's got the right angle on this... :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: March 25, 2015, 02:17:26 pm »

Favoritism? He loves everybody the same.

I'll use an analogy:
A father gives two sons gifts, but one doesn't accept the gift. Is it favoritism that one son didn't get the gift?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1368 on: March 25, 2015, 02:23:25 pm »

Quote from: Romans 9:13
As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
Quote from: Genesis 25:23
And the LORD said unto her, Two nations are in thy womb, and two manner of people shall be separated from thy bowels; and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the elder shall serve the younger.
Quote from: Malachi 1:4
They shall build, but I will throw down; and they shall call them, The border of wickedness, and, The people against whom the LORD hath indignation for ever.
Quote from: Matthew 7:19
Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

I could do this all day.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 02:28:05 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: March 25, 2015, 02:37:17 pm »

Religion is weird to me.

Why do people need a whole mythology to go with their beliefs and philosophy ?

Mythologies tell volumes about the world and human nature, and all of them are fun and interesting to read about, but in the end they are simply stories. Not "this is the truth, accept it as face value".

As for the creation of the universe, I think the big-bang theory is almost less convincing that "a supreme being created it" thing.

If there is a creator, I think he either never intended to take an interest in human affairs, left, or doesn't really care anymore.

and yet i have tried religion, but I think I'm not done for religion. Too many assumptions that you have to believe without having tangible proof of it.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1370 on: March 25, 2015, 02:51:43 pm »

As for the creation of the universe, I think the big-bang theory is almost less convincing that "a supreme being created it" thing.

Apples and oranges.

Physics provides evidence to show that the universe is expanding, and was once in a hot dense state. The "big bang" explains observations - nothing more, nothing less. There is no real feasible or credible way to argue against the observations nor conclusions drawn from them. It says nothing about how or why said process occurred, resulting in a universe. Sure, a supreme being "could" have started it all off, but that is basically conjecture at best. The big bang does not preclude theism, nor even attempt to rule it out.
This is a blank sig.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: March 25, 2015, 03:15:40 pm »

Favoritism? He loves everybody the same.

I'll use an analogy:
A father gives two sons gifts, but one doesn't accept the gift. Is it favoritism that one son didn't get the gift?
What II said.

Besides, it's more as if you've had something your entire life, and then some randomer claims he gave it to you. When you refuse to acknowledge this, he turns in spite from you and focuses on your malleable neighbour, who eventually caves and is now his "favourite"
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: March 25, 2015, 03:21:05 pm »

he still loves you just as much. As soon as you make the decision, he'll be ready. No matter what else you have done.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: March 25, 2015, 03:24:15 pm »

The randomer probably would make me his favourite were I to relent, but it's a false love. Love is unconditional. God has added conditions. At best, he seems sulky. At worst, malignant.

Also, let me add that even if some sort of rainbows and cotton candy god exist, I would not worship him. The act of creation is enough to demand no more than acknowledgment. Making the world as it is, with torture commonplace. Unbearable agony. Bereavement, death, dark, fights, ugliness, disease, parasites, etc. is enough to earn disgust.

The believer seems to be blinded, to  me, by imaginary light. God made a perfect world, and yet it's not. God loves us. See previous. Heaven exists. Yea, according to a book specifically designed to spread the religion.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 03:31:38 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: March 25, 2015, 03:25:53 pm »

Uh. Yeah, love does not entail abandonment and torture if it's not reciprocated.

I mean, as amusing as an all powerful divine yandere is... it doesn't really work like that, y'know? That's something, but it's not love.

Which I guess is okay, sorta' -- religious language often shanghais normal language into meaning something entirely different when used in context of the religion. S'just good to make sure you're acknowledging and noting that fact when using the word by the different meaning.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1375 on: March 25, 2015, 03:30:58 pm »

There's a substantial amount of evidence to say that the God of the Bible does not, in fact, love everyone. Regardless of the definition you're using.

Like, those references I posted.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: March 25, 2015, 03:33:17 pm »

Another problem with religious language is all the translation.  Makes it hard to know the original meaning...  I think a lot of words in ancient languages don't translate well into English, because they describe concepts which have been abandoned or heavily evolved over the centuries.

But, as Orange Wizard pointed out, God hated and punished a lot of people.  Particularly in the old testament, where their sins included "not being his favored race" or "being of his favored race but asking a question".  God didn't wait for these people to ask his forgiveness, he destroyed them.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: March 25, 2015, 03:35:03 pm »

Edited my post to add maximum whinage. :P

Oh, also, even Jesus did violence against people we may assume he didn't love while he was smashing their stuff at temple
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1378 on: March 25, 2015, 03:39:24 pm »

Another problem with religious language is all the translation.  Makes it hard to know the original meaning...  I think a lot of words in ancient languages don't translate well into English, because they describe concepts which have been abandoned or heavily evolved over the centuries.
Generally speaking, the word "love" in the Bible translates more as "brotherly love", or "loving kindness". Basically, generosity, kindness, and other nice things. It's got nothing to do with attraction or actually liking the person involved (though that said, Jesus is described as a friend to believers, so the two are not mutually exclusive.)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: March 25, 2015, 04:01:19 pm »

he still loves you just as much. As soon as you make the decision, he'll be ready. No matter what else you have done.
And so does Allah.

Gonna go on Hajj any time soon?

Also, considering a lot of (heavy, fanatic, right-wing) religious people say "I love you, that's why I'm trying to get you (LGBT, black people, immigrants, etc) classed as a lesser person!" I'd say religions definition of love in general is pretty warped.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:03:09 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 521