I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 580323 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1470 on: March 29, 2015, 01:46:21 pm »

I was just pointing out what the Bible says.

That does not make it any less unpleasant, especially when we have had another Christian on the forums arguing that the Bible can not be used to discriminate.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 01:50:10 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: March 29, 2015, 01:49:33 pm »

And Mein Kampf says the Jews are evil and that the French are mongrel half-bloods. Just because a book says something (and says the idea is from God himself) doesn't make it true.

[/Godwin]
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: March 29, 2015, 01:50:30 pm »

That does not make it any less unpleasant.
I'm sorry that life is unpleasant. That is something everybody has to deal with.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: March 29, 2015, 01:55:48 pm »

That does not make it any less unpleasant.
I'm sorry that life is unpleasant. That is something everybody has to deal with.

Life is not "unpleasant". Life just "is". Labelling someone as despised by your god makes it more unpleasant than it should be. Acting based on that faith based belief makes it unpleasant for those on the end of it. Having to defend themselves from faith based accusations of this nature - that is something people should NOT have to deal with. Those of us that do not share your faith are dealing with it, by making life more pleasant for those you would marginalise with your views. That is something you are going to have to deal with.
This is a blank sig.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: March 29, 2015, 02:00:16 pm »

I did make a mistake in what I said. I meant to say that God hates Adultery and Homosexuality as the sin rather than the people. God loves the people, but hates the sin. Hopefully that clears things up
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: March 29, 2015, 02:03:49 pm »

God hates Adultery and Homosexuality as the sin
Which quote you're basing that on?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: March 29, 2015, 02:05:12 pm »

I did make a mistake in what I said. I meant to say that God hates Adultery and Homosexuality as the sin rather than the people. God loves the people, but hates the sin. Hopefully that clears things up
It does. Thank you for the clarification. I would still find it hard to accept that faith based stance as one to form social constructs such as laws on, but it is much less offensive than the way it seemed.
This is a blank sig.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: March 29, 2015, 02:09:50 pm »

God hates Adultery and Homosexuality as the sin
Which quote you're basing that on?
Genesis 2:24: "Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and cleaves to his wife, and they become one flesh."
This states how marriage should be done. He speaks about homosexuality in several places:
Leviticus 18:22, "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."

1 Corinthians 6:9-10, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Romans 1:26-28, "For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper."

God makes his point about adultery clearly in the ten commandments:
Exodus 20:14, "You shall not commit adultery"

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1478 on: March 29, 2015, 03:12:57 pm »

Well that very nearly exploded. Thanks for keeping it in hand, chaps.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: March 29, 2015, 04:41:25 pm »

I very much doubt that Adam and Eve were married, unless God presided over that himself. And he had fallen out with them before they even thought of squeezing out children.
Were they sinning?
Was God sinning when he got Mary pregnant? I don't think it says in the bible that god didn't do it physically.

Also, I repeat, the bible's stance on homosexuality is obviously a reflecion of the times just as the whole not eating pork thing was. Should we not eat pork?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: March 29, 2015, 05:20:35 pm »

Furthermore, that Genesis quote does not preclude multiple wives - and indeed, people in the Old Testament times would marry polygamously and have concubines all the damn time if they had the resources and will to do so, and Salomon in particular allegedly had more wives and concubines than some people meet in a lifetime and God didn't get pissy until he used a very underhanded method of getting another one.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: March 29, 2015, 05:46:12 pm »

I very much doubt that Adam and Eve were married, unless God presided over that himself. And he had fallen out with them before they even thought of squeezing out children.
Were they sinning?
Was God sinning when he got Mary pregnant? I don't think it says in the bible that god didn't do it physically.

Also, I repeat, the bible's stance on homosexuality is obviously a reflecion of the times just as the whole not eating pork thing was. Should we not eat pork?
Adam and Eve were married. God gave Eve to Adam as a wife.

God didn't "do it" with Mary either. God put Jesus in the womb.

Read Acts 10:9-16. In summary, god doesn't care about unclean animals anymore.

Furthermore, that Genesis quote does not preclude multiple wives - and indeed, people in the Old Testament times would marry polygamously and have concubines all the damn time if they had the resources and will to do so, and Salomon in particular allegedly had more wives and concubines than some people meet in a lifetime and God didn't get pissy until he used a very underhanded method of getting another one.

God didn't design men to be married with multiple wives. Every time they did, they were sinning. Actually, Solomon's multitude of wives was his downfall.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: March 29, 2015, 06:20:07 pm »

And my father put me in the womb too.

Also, they weren't married unless you believe it's possible without a marriage.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: March 29, 2015, 06:23:12 pm »

Also, they weren't married unless you believe it's possible without a marriage.

Can you please clarify? I don't understand what you're saying here

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1484 on: March 29, 2015, 11:09:31 pm »

He's saying that for Adam and Eve to be married, there should have been a wedding. Which, to be fair, there is not.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 521