I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 580282 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1545 on: April 02, 2015, 09:49:38 pm »

The really ironic thing is that ancient most of history Canaan everywhere was a super racist place too.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: April 02, 2015, 10:22:33 pm »

Pretty much, yes.

Rome, despite featuring institutionalized slavery, hard-defined class systems, etc-- was one of the first truly cosmopolitan societies, where people of all races could become citizens (If they had the cash).

Prior to that, everyone was too paranoid, eking out a subsistence existence in small villages/towns with agrarian bases, and trying to get a leg up on their neighbors before they could get a leg up on them.  (Citystate warfare was the norm back then, and the paranoia of outsiders was very high.)

Greece had a kind of religiously themed "Hospitality" to outsiders, because they felt their gods tested them about it frequently-- but were still very much racist at the core when it came to other ethnicities. (And even felt bigotry about city-state origins, not just being Greek.)

Likewise in Asia.

The "Everyone is equal, and deserving of equal respect, regardless of race, sex, or national origin" is VERY much a modern thing.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: April 03, 2015, 04:11:04 am »

Quote from: Steven Weinberg
Frederick Douglass told in his Narrative how his condition as a slave became worse when his master underwent a religious conversion that allowed him to justify slavery as the punishment of the children of Ham. Mark Twain described his mother as a genuinely good person, whose soft heart pitied even Satan, but who had no doubt about the legitimacy of slavery, because in years of living in antebellum Missouri she had never heard any sermon opposing slavery, but only countless sermons preaching that slavery was God's will. With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion.
If Twain's mother had been slightly better-educated, her prejudices could equally well have been inspired by mainstream scientific theories of the time. It is also worth noting that Twain himself did not believe in the absolute equality of the "races," as witnessed by his hatred of Native Americans and the prevalence of racist stereotypes in his novels. His bigotry was not based on religious doctrine, however, but upon "experience" and "hard, empirical fact" – he was a product of his culture, just like every human being who ever lived. Nowadays, when I hear New Atheists declaring that "Science exists in a cultural and ideological vacuum," I probably feel a bit like Twain felt during a white-supremacist minister's sermon.

EDIT: And in modern terms one would call Mrs Clemens "genuinely stupid," rather than "genuinely good."     
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 04:27:44 am by surqimus »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: April 05, 2015, 02:23:47 pm »

HE IS RISEN!!!
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: April 05, 2015, 02:27:36 pm »

"... in bed!"  :P

(Gosh, if the rapture actually happens today, there'll be so much egg on my face...)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: April 05, 2015, 02:32:54 pm »

Wait... J. is in Heaven with his Father, isn't he? If he wants to do the whole judgementy-thing, he has to come down, amirite?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: April 05, 2015, 02:36:28 pm »

Wait... J. is in Heaven with his Father, isn't he? If he wants to do the whole judgementy-thing, he has to come down, amirite?
No, the judgement happens after we die. (or after the rapture, whichever comes first)
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: April 05, 2015, 02:57:54 pm »

NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: April 05, 2015, 03:04:30 pm »

... I'm missing something here. Someone care to explain?
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: April 05, 2015, 03:08:09 pm »

Friday was good Friday. It was the day that Jesus died on the cross so we could be forgiven of our sins. Today is Easter, the day he rose from the grave.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: April 05, 2015, 03:13:43 pm »

Friday was good Friday. It was the day that Jesus died on the cross so we could be forgiven of our sins. Today is Easter, the day he rose from the grave.
Ah. So just Easter stuff, not anything special to this year. Good to know.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: April 05, 2015, 03:22:37 pm »

HE IS RISEN!!!

Jesus or Priapus?
I'm honestly not sure.

The reference to Priapus on the other hand, refers to an ancient greek demigod who was always depicted with a large erect penis, which in combination with vague pronouns and multiple meanings of the word "risen" allowed me to turn the earlier Jesus reference into a vulgar reference to ancient paganism
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 03:24:18 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1558 on: April 05, 2015, 03:24:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure you'd notice the second coming.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: April 05, 2015, 03:34:52 pm »

I'm pretty sure you'd notice the second coming.
Depends on whose second coming it is. :P Some religious communities that view themselves as the only "true" religion are pretty small, and for one of them to vanish off the face of the earth might not make that big of a dent in the tens of millions of people who vanish without a trace every year (and that's for the US alone).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 521