I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582385 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1785 on: April 16, 2015, 05:29:58 pm »

The illusion of, yes, but the existence of an OOO God automatically invalidates free will.

Wait, aren't you chistian? I are confused.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: April 16, 2015, 05:31:57 pm »

The illusion of, yes, but the existence of an OOO God automatically invalidates free will.
Wait, aren't you chistian? I are confused.
Bay 12, the place where we can end up with nonreligious people arguing for religions and religious ones arguing against them. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1787 on: April 16, 2015, 05:45:03 pm »

... what?
In this hypothetical we're clearly assuming Christianity is correct because it takes place with the Christian God in heaven. I'd assume various Christian ideas like free will are also true in this situation.
Oh.
Free will isn't a Christian idea. Many churches hold to it, but there's little (depending on interpretation) Biblical basis for it, and as we've discussed to death, we can't reconcile an all-powerful God with free will in people.

It is impossible to explain to someone who has never experienced it. Heaven is the full presence of god. In heaven, everyone from every tongue and every nation will worship the lord. It sounds boring unless you realize how little that is compared to what God has done for you.
For most people, it sounds like something out of 1984, but with fewer moustaches.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1788 on: April 16, 2015, 05:47:58 pm »

I'm sure the germans would be happy to make up the moustache deficient.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1789 on: April 16, 2015, 05:50:29 pm »

Where's Helgo when you need him?
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: April 16, 2015, 06:09:04 pm »

Don't worry Orange Wizard, your mustache is all we need  ;D

I knew that some Christians don't believe in free will, but I'm not sure how they solve the problem of evil.  If God is all powerful, all knowing, *and* doesn't mind messing with our minds, then why doesn't he?

I talked to a Calvinist back in college who was upfront about God being wrathful and not particularly kind.  Which (mostly) explains why he doesn't fix our problems, or do anything tangible to encourage belief.  She didn't believe in free will either, some people are just destined to go to Hell.  It was a rather creepy conversation because she seemed resigned to obey an unkind God on threat of Hell.

I mention this because her position seems like the most reasonable one if one believes in God, particularly if they don't believe in free will.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: April 16, 2015, 06:12:23 pm »

I believe both in a all-powerful God and free will.
Now, I wouldn't like to make a big discussion, but god don't make everything bad go for reasons, guys.
In a time before time, I had a name.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: April 16, 2015, 06:20:15 pm »

It is impossible to explain to someone who has never experienced it. Heaven is the full presence of god. In heaven, everyone from every tongue and every nation will worship the lord. It sounds boring unless you realize how little that is compared to what God has done for you.
Does it say this in the Bible? I must admit to not having read the thing since sunday school. No horns have grown yet :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: April 16, 2015, 06:22:37 pm »

Does it say this in the Bible? I must admit to not having read the thing since sunday school. No horns have grown yet :P
If I recall my christian upbringing correctly then yeah, at least the every tongue and every nation part is. It's one of the more commonly appearing ideas and as a result it also shows up in a ton of christian music.

The heaven being the full presence of god thing, on the other hand, is one of those spots that tends to change depending on what exact denomination you are, etc. AFAIK.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: April 16, 2015, 06:56:18 pm »

God doesn't (usually) show his full presence to humans on the earth. If they saw his face, they would die. Once we are dead, though, we will go to heaven and be in all his glory forever.

Interesting fact: Moses wanted to see God's face, but God only let him see the back of his head. Moses' face was still glowing hours later.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: April 16, 2015, 06:58:19 pm »

[sarcastic comment redacted]
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: April 16, 2015, 07:02:51 pm »

God doesn't (usually) show his full presence to humans on the earth. If they saw his face, they would die. Once we are dead, though, we will go to heaven and be in all his glory forever.

Interesting fact: Moses wanted to see God's face, but God only let him see the back of his head. Moses' face was still glowing hours later.

What about Paul/Saul? He saw God (the Father) and Christ while alive.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: April 16, 2015, 07:25:25 pm »

What about Paul/Saul? He saw God (the Father) and Christ while alive.
And Jacob wrestled with the wriggler, too. If seeing supposed'ta kill you, what does piledriving the Lord do? :P

Also, here:

Quote from: Exodus 33:11
And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend.
Quote from: Deuteronomy 34:10
And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face.

And there's a whole LIST of times everyone saw God face-to-face, here. Fair warning, it is a skeptics website, SAB. But you either get a skeptics website or you get a christian website, there's no real third party these days.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 07:27:08 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1798 on: April 16, 2015, 07:46:26 pm »

I suppose this is another instance of God being non-Euclidean geometry and beyond mortal ken.

Alternatively, non-Christians can go with the old "it's nonsense" razor.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: April 16, 2015, 07:57:21 pm »

I suppose this is another instance of God being non-Euclidean geometry and beyond mortal ken.

Iä! Iä! Yah-Sabaoth!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 521