I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582205 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #2040 on: May 26, 2015, 08:18:16 am »

Interestingly, NIV does not use Lucifer's name in that passage or mention Lucifer anywhere else in its text.

Quote from: Isaiah 14:11-12 (NIV)
All your pomp has been brought down to the grave,
    along with the noise of your harps;
maggots are spread out beneath you
    and worms cover you.
How you have fallen from heaven,
    morning star, son of the dawn!
You have been cast down to the earth,
    you who once laid low the nations!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:11:44 pm by penguinofhonor »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: May 26, 2015, 08:34:57 am »

Lucifer's just a translation corruption of morning star (which is in that passage). That's literally all the word was, until it got shanghai'd into the Adversarial katamari ball. It was never really a name proper. People just started capitalizing it for... I'unno, it's a sexy word I guess. Good enough reason, I suppose...

Just like Satan isn't actually a name that's in the original translation. It's all adversary and opposer and whatnot. Non-human bad guys aren't actually named very often in the canon texts, so far as I can recall.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:36:56 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: May 26, 2015, 08:45:45 am »

Yep, both names have been used erroneously for ages due to the King James bible and translations that derived from it. That doesnt exactly mean there isn't a rather defined, named figure of an adversary in christianity/judaism, altough those definitions often come from apocryphal texts, like the book of enoch that mentions the grigori/watchers IE Azazel, the leader of the watchers who betrayed God and ended up creating the nephilim.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2043 on: May 26, 2015, 04:59:11 pm »

KJV sounds the coolest, though. That means it must be the best.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: June 03, 2015, 04:25:30 pm »

I'm currently writing an essay on life after death, and this occurred to me:

There is a field, blooming in places, mediocre in some, and yet more parts barren. There is a river, and a mist conceals the other side. There is one bridge, and it is tall and dark, with brooding turrets and rough stonework. The river below hurls itself against its supports before it seeths on past.

Some people claim that on the other side of the unappealing bridge, there is a field wherein the grass is always green and blooming, and all the folk are friendly and good. Birds sing, flowers grow, and all the days are sunny. Those who live in the most barren parts of the field seem to be the ones who hold this belief most closely, and have are eager to cross the foreboding bridge across which noone had ever returned.

Why would anyone continue in such a belief? (Not condescension, genuinely bemused.)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: June 03, 2015, 05:08:39 pm »

*shrugs* Can't be worse than what's on this side, eh wot.

I mean, it can, but it feels better to think otherwise. Add on a component where you (think you) actually have a means of influencing that and you can get a nice bit of fervor going. Especially after the sunk cost fallacy gets rolling.
Ask not!
Ask!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: June 03, 2015, 05:13:42 pm »

also, it is important to add to your bridge analogy the fact that everyone gets eventually pushed through the bridge anyway.
If you have to cross it, might as well hope for something good on the other side.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: June 03, 2015, 05:28:10 pm »

Why would anyone continue in such a belief? (Not condescension, genuinely bemused.)

I don't think this is what you meant, but...  It almost sounds like you're asking why someone wouldn't cross the bridge as soon as possible, if they believed.
Of course, Christianity (and probably most other religions?) expressly forbid that.  It feels like one of the more artificial laws, but I have an uncommon opinion on suicide.  Thanks to all the religions which made it taboo, so their adherents wouldn't off themselves (except for the cause).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: June 03, 2015, 06:05:41 pm »

Poor wording, sorry.

What I meant was, why would they believe in a grass is greener approach when absolutely every thing suggests otherwise.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: June 03, 2015, 06:32:12 pm »

... nothing suggests anything. There's mist. There's a bridge. No visibility on the other side. Might not even be an other side. After the mist could be a sheer drop into oblivion. No way of telling.

Beyond that, why not? If you have no way of confirming, and it in no way has demonstrable effect on you on this side of the river, why not believe the other side is booze rainbows and unicorn orgies? It makes for a happier bridgebed, probably. Measure of comfort for the unpassed, too. Uncle's with uncomfortable equine frolicking now, and too drunk to care.
Ask not!
Ask!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: June 03, 2015, 07:08:06 pm »

I don't think this is what you meant, but...  It almost sounds like you're asking why someone wouldn't cross the bridge as soon as possible, if they believed.
Of course, Christianity (and probably most other religions?) expressly forbid that.  It feels like one of the more artificial laws, but I have an uncommon opinion on suicide.  Thanks to all the religions which made it taboo, so their adherents wouldn't off themselves (except for the cause).

There's an actual reason for it tho. When adam and eve ate of the tree of knowledge, God condemned them to suffer the pains of mortal life and to suffer from diseases and grow old and die and etc. But even though they became mortal through their own actions, their life was still given by God, so its unlawful that they would willingly deprive themselves of it.

Other religions have better reasons for it, but thats what the abrahamic religions use.

And on topic: just as Frumple said, nothing in that depiction actualy suggests anything special in regards to what may be on the other side of the bridge, other then no one has ever returned. This might be because there's manbearpigs on the other side, or because theres heaven on the other side. Nothing specifically sugests a necessarily negative outcome for crossing it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 07:16:42 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: June 03, 2015, 07:27:39 pm »

Yeah, as far as the Church is concerned, suicide is just a particular form of murder, which is explicitly forbidden.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: June 03, 2015, 08:34:16 pm »

Hm, thanks for the explanation.  I didn't know.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: June 03, 2015, 08:43:26 pm »

Hey, it's also an Obvious Rule Fix - it's just that they've found a fairly good justification :P

Consider this: Killing babies before they have a chance to sin is the ultimate good deed, since you accept eternal torment to allow them to go to heaven...
E: And now I've been reminded of these things...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2054 on: June 04, 2015, 01:59:33 am »

Consider this: Killing babies before they have a chance to sin is the ultimate good deed, since you accept eternal torment to allow them to go to heaven...
E: And now I've been reminded of these things...
That's horrifying.

The trees are pretty bad, too.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 521