I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582285 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #2250 on: June 28, 2015, 12:21:02 pm »

The nation is not under anything!
Err...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: June 28, 2015, 12:37:43 pm »

Well yeah, the point of declaring independence was... independence :P  Being a sovereign nation and all that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: June 28, 2015, 01:08:14 pm »

Conflation of religious faiths with state nationalism is ALWAYS a bad thing.
Well, nationalism is a religion itself, especially in America.

That is WHY our nation (is supposed to) keeps religion and politics separate. (GOP and fundamentalism not withstanding. ahem.)
I'd definitely agree with you here in terms of institutions, but its kind of hard to separate religion and politics when it comes to people.

Speaking of which, does the "under God" line in the Pledge of Allegiance strike anybody else as mildly seditious? It disparages the authority of our government and the legitimacy of our democracy. The nation is not under anything!
Not really, its just another aspect of the American civil religion that says America can do no wrong, so its actually the opposite.

Err...
Something tells me Poe's Law is in effect here.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: June 28, 2015, 01:14:22 pm »

U-SA über alles, über alles in der Welt!

Not exactly Poe's law, but it was a very unfortunate way to say what's meant.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: June 28, 2015, 01:18:51 pm »

Err...

The UN and NATO are confederated systems (in the technical sense, not the racism sense), their member nations are not "under" them.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: June 28, 2015, 01:21:25 pm »

Quote from: Perseus13
Err...
I can't speak for Bohandas, but I think it's a serious point.  The USA were founded on principles of liberty and religious freedom.  When neocons added "Under God" to the pledge to differentiate us from them godless commies, they betrayed both those principles.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: June 28, 2015, 01:43:56 pm »

Err...
I can't speak for Bohandas, but I think it's a serious point.  The USA were founded on principles of liberty and religious freedom.  When neocons added "Under God" to the pledge to differentiate us from them godless commies, they betrayed both those principles.

Exactly
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: June 28, 2015, 01:53:14 pm »

Err...
I'm against the under God as you are, but for a different reason. American civil religion is a theory that the United States basically has a religion in all but name based around American exceptionalism. Considering how there are plenty of people on both sides of the political spectrum who seem to believe this or at least state America can do no wrong rhetoric as well as how American patriotism feels like a religion sometimes with how reverently the Founding Fathers are treated as well as the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, I think this theory is valid. Hence, the under God in the pledge is part of this civil religion and since this civil religion is part of America since the beggining, if you think that's contrary to liberty or religious freedom then those were betrayed at the beginning.

This is a 1967 essay by a Robert Bellah who came up with the current iteration of the theory.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: June 28, 2015, 01:57:25 pm »

Err...
I'm against the under God as you are, but for a different reason. American civil religion is a theory that the United States basically has a religion in all but name based around American exceptionalism. Considering how there are plenty of people on both sides of the political spectrum who seem to believe this or at least state America can do no wrong rhetoric as well as how American patriotism feels like a religion sometimes with how reverently the Founding Fathers are treated as well as the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, I think this theory is valid. Hence, the under God in the pledge is part of this civil religion and since this civil religion is part of America since the beggining, if you think that's contrary to liberty or religious freedom then those were betrayed at the beginning.

That doesn't hold up because it's more or less unambiguous that the "God" referred to is the god of the major western faiths (Christianity/Judaism/Islam) and not one of the Founding Fathers or Abe Lincoln or the Constitution or the Atomic BOMB.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 01:59:25 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: June 28, 2015, 02:02:16 pm »

Err...

That doesn't hold up because it's more or less unambiguous that the god referred to is the god of the western faiths and not one of the Founding Fathers or Abe Lincoln or the Atomic BOMB.
I never said that the referred to god was any of those things. The god is just an American god, otherwise I doubt Abraham Lincoln or Thomas Jefferson would reference him. And yes, of course there is Christian elements in the American civil religion (like monotheism), and some Christians incorporate the American civil religion into there faith by believing that America is essentially a new Israel that was endowed by God, taking of the Puritan beliefs, but its not an explicitly Christian god. There's a distinct lack of Christ for instance.
Sigtext

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: June 28, 2015, 02:14:08 pm »

Lincoln may have been skeptical, but that doesn't mean he wasn't talking about the Christian God...  He was raised Baptist and often quoted from the Bible.  Almost all his constituents were Christian.  To say that he secretly meant some nebulous God of America is a massive leap.

American Exceptionalism rant:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She/they

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: June 28, 2015, 02:16:16 pm »

I comprehend. I have had similar conceptions concerning "gestalt public entities" in the past.

I too am against American Exceptionalism, because the very notion goes against rational empiricism. Americans are humans. Like all other humans. They are neither better nor worse, fundamentally, than any other group of humans.

The "My Country: Love it or leave it" types are a cancer. Always have been.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: June 28, 2015, 02:24:29 pm »

Right, nationalism is a dangerous belief system.
American patriotism is practically the opposite of nationalism.  It involves examining the current administration critically and holding personal rights sacred.

Lots of idiots call themselves patriots when they're really just nationalistic...
She/they

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2263 on: June 28, 2015, 02:25:37 pm »

They are neither better nor worse, fundamentally, than any other group of humans.
Empirical evidence points to 'fundamentally worse'

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: June 28, 2015, 02:29:03 pm »

They are neither better nor worse, fundamentally, than any other group of humans.
Empirical evidence points to 'fundamentally worse'

Incorrect. They are just as bad as any other group, fundamentally. They simply have access to more resources, and are therefor more influential.

(You can find the antecedent of current Amerika(tm) in the former British Empire.)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 02:36:44 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 521