I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 580316 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: God-Proof Chariots Edition
« Reply #3270 on: November 07, 2015, 09:04:31 pm »

Welllll, cases have been made.  "Better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven" and all.  It depends a lot on what one believes about God, Jesus, heaven, and hell though.  And what they believe about humanity.

But yes, it's an attractive offer.  "I did a thing which makes all your mistakes okay.  You don't have to feel guilty anymore, also I love you."  I wish I could believe in something like that.  Though even then, I'm not sure I would accept.  Letting someone else suffer for my sins doesn't altogether sit right with me.  If I can just stop existing, or live with my mistakes in a place apart from Him, that seems more fair to me.

*also*, if I were to take up the offer, I feel like I'd be fundamentally different.  Since I wouldn't be sinning in heaven... Why?  Would I be the same person, without my flaws?  Troubling idea.

Still a nice offer though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: November 07, 2015, 09:05:55 pm »

Well, he's forgiven the elect. He hasn't forgiven the folks who don't/didn't/won't want it.
correct. I don't know why anybody who believes that wouldn't want it though.
Well, that depends on what God decides to do to you if you don’t want it. Eternal disutility? Yeah, okay, fine. Nothing happens? Depends on whether you care what God thinks of you at that point. You don’t actually need divine permission to stop feeling guilty if you don’t want to feel guilty anymore.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: November 07, 2015, 09:06:24 pm »

Since I wouldn't be sinning in heaven... Why?  Would I be the same person, without my flaws?  Troubling idea.

Reminds me of that Calvin and Hobbes strip.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: November 07, 2015, 09:36:42 pm »

Welllll, cases have been made.  "Better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven" and all.  It depends a lot on what one believes about God, Jesus, heaven, and hell though.  And what they believe about humanity.

But yes, it's an attractive offer.  "I did a thing which makes all your mistakes okay.  You don't have to feel guilty anymore, also I love you."  I wish I could believe in something like that.  Though even then, I'm not sure I would accept.  Letting someone else suffer for my sins doesn't altogether sit right with me.  If I can just stop existing, or live with my mistakes in a place apart from Him, that seems more fair to me.

*also*, if I were to take up the offer, I feel like I'd be fundamentally different.  Since I wouldn't be sinning in heaven... Why?  Would I be the same person, without my flaws?  Troubling idea.

Still a nice offer though.
Jesus already suffered for your sins. You can't really change that.

Once a christian is taken into heaven, they receive a new body (but they don't become angels) this new body is completely free of sin. You keep your soul when you go into heaven, but your earthly sinful nature dies with your body.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: November 07, 2015, 09:54:25 pm »

One of the things that always made me uncomfortable about that is the absolution of responsibility. I've always felt that if you make a mistake, it's yours to own up to and your to bear. You can learn from it, become a better person because of it, &c. but you shouldn't be able to just pretend that it doesn't matter that you did something wrong as long as you acknowledge that it was wrong simply because something you believe in tells you that it's already been paid for. Sort of a counterpart to the previously mentioned thing about morality being dictated by faith; it's frightening to think that the world is full of people whose only motivation for acting morally is, by all appearances, the fact that their god told them that they should (but that they'll still be rewarded even if they behave immorally, as long as they keep believing and don't commit certain acts).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: November 07, 2015, 10:03:38 pm »

One of the things that always made me uncomfortable about that is the absolution of responsibility. I've always felt that if you make a mistake, it's yours to own up to and your to bear. You can learn from it, become a better person because of it, &c. but you shouldn't be able to just pretend that it doesn't matter that you did something wrong as long as you acknowledge that it was wrong simply because something you believe in tells you that it's already been paid for. Sort of a counterpart to the previously mentioned thing about morality being dictated by faith; it's frightening to think that the world is full of people whose only motivation for acting morally is, by all appearances, the fact that their god told them that they should (but that they'll still be rewarded even if they behave immorally, as long as they keep believing and don't commit certain acts).
You are still responsible for your actions, but God has forgiven you. If you read the parable of the prodigal son, I think it makes it more clear. (Luke 15:11-32)
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: November 07, 2015, 10:55:14 pm »

…this new body is completely free of sin.
Can you say what that would mean?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: November 07, 2015, 11:02:51 pm »

It means that in heaven, there is no sin. There is much debate about what age/appearance people will have in heaven, but I don't think that that is imperative to know.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: November 07, 2015, 11:09:02 pm »

It means that in heaven, there is no sin. There is much debate about what age/appearance people will have in heaven, but I don't think that that is imperative to know.
No, I mean, what does it mean for a body to be “free of sin”?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3279 on: November 07, 2015, 11:47:24 pm »

Sin is, in effect, the compulsion to go against God. It's (metaphorically) tied to "the flesh", which is why the New Testament is full of verses about casting aside your old body and so on. None of that is literal - you can safely ignore it if you like.
A body (or soul, or whatever, the effect is the same) without sin would be like Christ. That is, one who follows the commandments perfectly (but not in the sense of "supreme authority on heaven and earth", obviously). The commandments are usually summed up as "Love the Lord your God ... and love your neighbour as yourself", although it's horrendously rare for churches to even remotely resemble that.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 11:48:58 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: November 08, 2015, 12:02:20 am »

Sin is, in effect, the compulsion to go against God. It's (metaphorically) tied to "the flesh", which is why the New Testament is full of verses about casting aside your old body and so on. None of that is literal - you can safely ignore it if you like.
I thought origamiscienceguy is a biblical literalist, though, which would imply that’s not what they mean.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3281 on: November 08, 2015, 01:10:27 am »

99% sure that's what origami means, sin being metaphorically tied to the flesh or literally tied to the flesh doesn't really make much difference either way.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: November 08, 2015, 01:55:37 am »

this new body is completely free of sin

Wouldn't that undermine "free will"?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: November 08, 2015, 05:28:51 am »

Would it? By the time you get to heaven, you would have freely decided not to sin.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: November 08, 2015, 07:07:04 am »

Sort of a counterpart to the previously mentioned thing about morality being dictated by faith; it's frightening to think that the world is full of people whose only motivation for acting morally is, by all appearances, the fact that their god told them that they should (but that they'll still be rewarded even if they behave immorally, as long as they keep believing and don't commit certain acts).
As far as I can tell, it really doesn't work like that: The internal enlightenment that comes with faith gives you an innate understanding of right and wrong, so that you freely choose to no longer sin. It's not compliance with some sort of legal code, but closer to being convinced by a good argument: The motivation to stop sinning comes from yourself, not from outside.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 521