I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582319 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Conversion by Kirpan
« Reply #5520 on: April 20, 2016, 07:16:37 pm »

Magnets, man.
How do they even work.

(is joke, I understand magnets, sorta.)
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5521 on: April 20, 2016, 07:19:37 pm »

I see the universe as being somewhat like a computer: given a set of laws and a beginning situation, the rest of history is computed. (A random number generator, of course, would be needed; perhaps include it in deity-main?)

First, Logical Reverse Reasoning
A person is certainly free to decide whether the Bible has any value or not. A central issue in that matter is usually regarding whether God "Inspired" the Bible's human authors. Consider the possibilities.

IF a person does NOT think that God Inspired the Bible, or that God doesn't even actually Exist, then the Book would seem to have very limited value, and it would certainly not deserve to be the central focus of Faith.

On the other hand, if one accepts the idea that God participated in Inspiring the Bible, it becomes an important Book. Technically, there would still be three possibilities to consider.

If God Inspired the Bible, and it is all absolutely and precisely true (at least when it was still in its Original language and the Original Manuscripts) and accurate, then we should carefully pay attention to every detail of it. Traditionally, this has always been the case for both Christians and Jews.

If God Inspired the Bible, but He is Evil, then it is likely to nearly all be untrue and deceptive. However, no accepted concept of God would see that as possible of Him.

If God Inspired the Bible, but it Originally contained both Truths and untruths, and it contained inaccuracies or distortions, this appears to be the only possible assumption of those Christians who feel they can freely select the parts of the Bible they want to obey. (Many thousands of researchers have compared the more than 20,000 existing Scribe-written Manuscripts to ensure that we accurately know the Original text.) If God is even remotely as Powerful and Considerate and Compassionate as we believe Him to be, would He intentionally include such faults in the Book He provided us as a Guide? Or, could He be so sloppy as to unintentionally include such flaws in it?

For this last matter, it seems impossible that the God we know and Worship would be either intentionally deceptive or incompetent. For, if He was, then the consistency and reliability of our Universe would be an unexpected and unintentional effort of His. When you step out the door of your house, you might fall into a bottomless pit, rather than stepping out on the sidewalk that you know is there.

For these reasons, it seems inappropriate to feel that a person could pick and choose various parts of the Bible to accept and obey. If you accept ANY of it as being valid and valuable, then you are implicitly accepting that God participated in its creation. And if God participated in the Bible being composed, that seems to necessarily imply that ALL of it was Originally precisely correct and accurate, in its Original language.

These observations do not make such claims regarding any specific modern Bible translation. Given that we see the inconsistencies between various translated Versions, we should certainly be somewhat cautious at totally accepting any one of them. Either use two or more different Bible Versions in your studies, or have a Strongs Concordance handy, or both! As long as you can get to an understanding of what the Original texts said and meant, you will have the true meaning!

The problem with this is that a book can be partially correct, having been made up by people, and still contain falsehoods. It's the same bloody circular reasoning argument all over again.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:23:06 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: April 20, 2016, 07:22:37 pm »

Why would a phenomena that "is caused by itself" require any form of sentience, omnipotence or be anything even remotely approximating the idea of a god?
The normal argument is that something greater cannot come from something lesser, iirc, though I'm definitely mangling that and probably misremembering it to some degree. You have to have the potential for the consequence in the precedent for things to function, or something along those lines. So in order for the creation of all things, whatever creates it must have the capability to do so; i.e. must have sentience to create sentience, must have sufficient power to bring forth all that is, etc., etc., etc. There's significantly more to it, of course, because they've been talking about that stuff for centuries, and pretty much every casual issue with the stance has been considered and addressed at some point, but that's a rough sketch of one of the arguments as near as I can remember it at the moment.

Honestly, for a long, long time, it made a fair amount of sense, and it still makes a relatively decent amount of sense (or at least about as much as anything else :V) if you believe in YEC or whathaveyou. It's just that we have fairly conclusive experimental proof at this point (as in, the last handful of decades) that building up to sentience or whatev' from nonsentience is entirely possible, and several of the initial premises are just kinda'... flawed.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5523 on: April 20, 2016, 07:27:13 pm »

Why would a phenomena that "is caused by itself" require any form of sentience, omnipotence or be anything even remotely approximating the idea of a god?
The normal argument is that something greater cannot come from something lesser, iirc, though I'm definitely mangling that and probably misremembering it to some degree. You have to have the potential for the consequence in the precedent for things to function, or something along those lines. So in order for the creation of all things, whatever creates it must have the capability to do so; i.e. must have sentience to create sentience, must have sufficient power to bring forth all that is, etc., etc., etc. There's significantly more to it, of course, because they've been talking about that stuff for centuries, and pretty much every casual issue with the stance has been considered and addressed at some point, but that's a rough sketch of one of the arguments as near as I can remember it at the moment.

Honestly, for a long, long time, it made a fair amount of sense, and it still makes a relatively decent amount of sense (or at least about as much as anything else :V) if you believe in YEC or whathaveyou. It's just that we have fairly conclusive experimental proof at this point (as in, the last handful of decades) that building up to sentience or whatev' from nonsentience is entirely possible, and several of the initial premises are just kinda'... flawed.

You're totally right.

(Addressed to the BOBI

You know what? A bunch of humans can make a supercomputer that can compute things faster than any human - than all the humans together throughout all of history! If that's not "better," AI is soon on its way. How about this: can't an evil person give birth to a saint? Wouldn't a saint be "better" than an evil person? If none of these things are "better" or "greater", then you're not using the standard definition - thus you cannot draw any conclusions.)

Spoiler: huge (click to show/hide)

How about this:

4. The Bible was inspired by God but it wasn't personally written by him with lightning bolt in hand. That's not inspired, that's authored. Inspired means he put stuff into their hearts and they tried to write it. Other people could have hijacked it - you know what? The OT is pretty much "hey, we were conquered and now we're about to be assimilated - I don't like that! Let's have all these restrictions and all this history we'll write for ourselves to make us distinct from these other guys!" But there are many parts of it that were God-inspired, and those parts should be listened to. When I'm in a believing mood, I don't believe in a bearded skyguy, so if I decided to insert a few words into the Bible in the 6th century BC, I think God wouldn't strike me down via lightning bolt.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:36:51 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: April 20, 2016, 07:33:41 pm »

(A random number generator, of course, would be needed; perhaps include it in deity-main?)

Not if you're only running it once.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5525 on: April 20, 2016, 07:39:38 pm »

I have yet to see a logical argument for the existence of God that isn't worthless, honestly. If you could prove God existed there'd be no need for faith, and that kinda defeats the purpose of having a religion in the first place.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: April 20, 2016, 07:54:53 pm »

no?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5527 on: April 20, 2016, 08:00:22 pm »

If you remove the faith aspect, it's basically pointless? I mean, there's the who social group/ritual thing, but that's just playing make-believe with social pressure to join in.
Maybe I'm being overly pedantic. Dunno. I don't think you can call something a religion unless it involves spirituality (i.e. faith) in some way.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: April 20, 2016, 08:04:24 pm »

Christianity lasted for, what, 1400 years or so of faith not really needing to be a thing? It was just the truth in a book. Not faith, more like history. But then, I wouldn't equate spirituality with faith.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: April 20, 2016, 08:21:23 pm »

If you remove the faith aspect, it's basically pointless? I mean, there's the who social group/ritual thing, but that's just playing make-believe with social pressure to join in.
"Just". Playing make-believe is one of the most important things humans are able to do. Almost every aspect of human culture is some variation of that, and the same shtick is behind huge chunks of our scientific advancement, among great sopping heaps of other stuff. There's no "just" to make-believe, especially once people start convincing themselves it's true.

Beyond that, ritual and social group shenanigans are and have long been tremendous influences on basically everything humans do. And ritual in particular, you don't need faith at all to see benefit from that. Frankly, faith is arguably the least important part of religion -- religion can and often does function just as well with or without it.

... also, no, spirituality totally isn't equivalent to faith. It's how you address matters of, well. The spirit. Stuff that's not absolutely physical, and even then the consideration of that as being the only thing that is, is a position vis a vis spirituality. Buncha' shit tied up in that stuff, and there's not really a particular linchpin.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5530 on: April 20, 2016, 08:34:51 pm »

Never mind, I'm not sure what I'm talking about now either.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5531 on: April 20, 2016, 09:20:35 pm »

Yeah, the whole argument for "why we don't have to justify anything" is "God exists, and you can't prove anything about him, because that would spoil the mystery and keep us from true faith," unlike Thomas the Scientist who demanded to prove Jesus's resurrection through verifiable observations.

Kind of annoying, really. Mystery is not necessary for religion, IMHO. (See Frumple's post.) It's doing something you don't want to do because it (what you don't want to do) is the right thing to do while what you want to do is not the right thing to do.

...or denying that anyone else has a point while angrily screaming quote-picked bits from the Bible about how God Hates Fags but technically though he would also Hate Jewelry and Mixed Cloth Fabrics

Spoiler: kind of unrelated (click to show/hide)

Sigtext!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: April 21, 2016, 11:25:02 am »

...or denying that anyone else has a point while angrily screaming quote-picked bits from the Bible about how God Hates Fags but technically though he would also Hate Jewelry and Mixed Cloth Fabrics
This is a bit irreverent of the discussion (and I don't mean it as a comparison to anyone here), but all I can think of while reading this is this comic: :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: April 22, 2016, 01:17:27 pm »

This isn't a serious addition to the discussion, but I heard 2 funny religion jokes recently.

1. I was at a Catholic class (getting confirmed. I consider myself a hopeful Christian in the sense that I believe God is possible and if he is I owe him a lot, so why not work under the assumption he exists? If I'm wrong, I'm not hurting anyone. And I agree with many of Jesus' teachings about love, peace, and forgiveness. Whether or not he was God/God's son he spread good messages. I don't agree 100% with any one religion, but my family is mostly Catholic, and I certainly don't have everything figured out, so I just try to coexist.) and my teacher asked a question (something about Jesus, I don't even remember what.) and one student answered correctly, so another commented "you hit the nail on the cross!"

2. A Buddhist goes to a Christian church service with his family. He enjoys it and when it's over the priest says "You should convert."
The Buddhist replies, "Maybe next time round."
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: April 22, 2016, 01:19:31 pm »

They are quite funny.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 521