I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582156 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #5775 on: July 19, 2016, 07:29:50 am »

Railgun spaceplane drones when
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5776 on: July 19, 2016, 07:45:02 am »

Also sums up Slav science in a nutshell

"Oh yeah we're gonna have an awesome 6th gen space fighter with railguns. Side effects on the pilot will include death."
We have much more pilots than planes, this isin't a problem really.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: July 19, 2016, 11:17:49 am »

Railgun spaceplane drones when
Can't you read? 2025. :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: July 19, 2016, 07:58:12 pm »

Kind of a huge brainfart moment. After reading some books on Huberto Rohden's spirituality, specially his book "arrows to infinity" (no actual translation available, sorry, I just translated the title myself), a small 200 or so page philosophical-religious book on the nature of man, God, Christ, existence and the universe, I realized that some of his concepts are strangely very similar to... Morrowind metaphysics?

This guy in the early 1960s that never played any videogame, spoke and wrote in 5 languages, wrote 100 or so books, was a ex-jesuit priest, graduated in cience, theology and philosophy in Innsbrook, Valkenburg and Napolis, taught in Princeton and the American University of Washington, and translated the bible, the bhagavad gita and the tao te ching in order to edit and sell his translations for cheap prices so poor people could easily have access to them... Essentialy came up with ideas very similar to the concept of CHIM and the tower in the TES universe :v?

WhatI mean its not like morrowind metaphysics are exactly original, but its still pretty interesting how the ideas are so similar
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5779 on: July 19, 2016, 08:01:03 pm »

Once again vidya discover the secrets of the universe

*EDIT
Apologies, NWO Buddheo-Christian Pythagoreans have the answers
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 08:05:30 pm by Loud Whispers »

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: July 19, 2016, 08:20:43 pm »

Kind of a huge brainfart moment. After reading some books on Huberto Rohden's spirituality, specially his book "arrows to infinity" (no actual translation available, sorry, I just translated the title myself), a small 200 or so page philosophical-religious book on the nature of man, God, Christ, existence and the universe, I realized that some of his concepts are strangely very similar to... Morrowind metaphysics?

This guy in the early 1960s that never played any videogame, spoke and wrote in 5 languages, wrote 100 or so books, was a ex-jesuit priest, graduated in cience, theology and philosophy in Innsbrook, Valkenburg and Napolis, taught in Princeton and the American University of Washington, and translated the bible, the bhagavad gita and the tao te ching in order to edit and sell his translations for cheap prices so poor people could easily have access to them... Essentialy came up with ideas very similar to the concept of CHIM and the tower in the TES universe :v?

WhatI mean its not like morrowind metaphysics are exactly original, but its still pretty interesting how the ideas are so similar
They probably read his book. Or not. :-\
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5781 on: July 19, 2016, 11:39:47 pm »

*EDIT
Apologies, NWO Buddheo-Christian Pythagoreans have the answers
I'm half-tempted to buy THE HIDDEN MASTERS WHO RULE THE WORLD just for the larfs, but I also have no money
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: July 20, 2016, 09:10:56 am »

You need every penny you can save for the coveted hot chocolate, huh?  ;)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: July 20, 2016, 09:14:58 am »

Aw shit, that book is almost on "this looks so bad I might just find a pdf of it somewhere" but I'm too busy actualy reading decently interesting things atm.

Reminds me of that one african religion book thing about spirit wizards flying on undead dragon birds I saw some years ago :v

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: September 02, 2016, 09:35:23 pm »

Playing CK2 again, and thus discussing Catharism with friends...

I wonder how random Christians would react to someone who believes in Jesus's sacrifice, but also believes the OT God is a sick evil is basically Satan.

Not that I'm really ready to truly accept unconditional love yet.  For reasons.  But theoretically...  I would be accepting Christ.  Heck I'd be accepting all/most of the rest of the Bible, within a bit of interpretation.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: September 02, 2016, 11:20:48 pm »

why not submit to allah, tho

or bow to the many aspects of krishna

or sacrifice to your ancestors in a household shrine

or work for enlightenment

or follow the tao te ching
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: September 02, 2016, 11:23:04 pm »

Allah's a dick too.  You're right about polytheism/animism though.
If asked, I'd probably still consider myself an animist.  I'm just... curious about Jesus sans Jehovah.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: September 02, 2016, 11:30:33 pm »

my main point was that i see no reason to pick any single religion over any other, and trying to follow all of them would be... hard. a lot of them are contradictory both in dogma and in practice (i'm pretty sure the whole "thou shalt have no other gods" thing is a biggie, and i think every day of the week would be a holy day of rest in one religion or another) and there's just so many of them that trying to fulfil each ones obligations would be a full time job at best

just makes more sense to write the whole thing off, embrace the null hypothesis, and hope if there is some form of continuation after life governed by an intelligent entity, it's not a Huge Dick. tho i'm not betting on that, the world wouldn't look the way it does now if any creator deity was an actual good, uh, person, for lack of a better word (not necessarily the same as the afterlife deity, tho! most polytheistic religions have them separate!)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5788 on: September 02, 2016, 11:33:39 pm »

I wonder if Simulationists will eventually become a religion (barring human extinction over the next two centuries or so). I think that they will, some of the more hardcore Simulationists are practically a religion now since they theorize an "after"life that is your actual life outside the simulation. Overlife? Yeah, that's cool sounding enough.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: September 03, 2016, 03:52:59 am »

my main point was that i see no reason to pick any single religion over any other, and trying to follow all of them would be... hard. a lot of them are contradictory both in dogma and in practice (i'm pretty sure the whole "thou shalt have no other gods" thing is a biggie, and i think every day of the week would be a holy day of rest in one religion or another) and there's just so many of them that trying to fulfil each ones obligations would be a full time job at best

just makes more sense to write the whole thing off, embrace the null hypothesis, and hope if there is some form of continuation after life governed by an intelligent entity, it's not a Huge Dick. tho i'm not betting on that, the world wouldn't look the way it does now if any creator deity was an actual good, uh, person, for lack of a better word (not necessarily the same as the afterlife deity, tho! most polytheistic religions have them separate!)

Ah, but you forget the obvious! This one *stabs finger at random religion on list* is the one true one!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 521