I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582056 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #6300 on: December 29, 2017, 12:37:48 am »

I can and will analyze any fairies that I find, which means that I exist in a universe without them. I don't mind much, I'd rather understand nothing than not understand something.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: December 29, 2017, 01:34:07 am »

Science is not a lump of data or a community of people, it is a method of testing things. It is, more specifically, a method of testing if things are reliable, rather than if they are true, which is rather what has allowed science to beat all competition into submission. If you have a hypothesis that rocks move towards rock and water moves towards water, then you can test that by looking at the flow of a river and dropping a heavy rock into it. The river flows to the ocean and the rock sinks to the riverbed. Science will tell you that that is reliable... and if all you want to know is whether the river is flowing into the ocean or what will happen if you drop a heavy rock in the open then you can rely upon it pretty well. But then you try dropping a rock along the side of a sheer cliff, or flood-waters spill into the end of a river, or have a river that is affected by tides, then these extreme tests prove the theory false, but the theory was never "true" and it still works for its established purpose, and people might even choose to continue using a false theory because it works and the maths is easier... Scientific theories ARE "just" theories, that is science's strength. Scientific theories are reliable to a degree that very nearly no "fact" can ever hope to achieve. People make fools of themselves when they say that scientific theories are "just" theories not because they undervalue science, they don't, they make fools of themselves because they overvalue something else.

Science will never say that god does or doesn't exist, it can't, it can't say that anything does or does not exist. It CAN say if god is reliable in context. If god refuses to be tested, then science can say that god has reliably failed to be detected by any tests. Now, this is basically the default state for religion, given that people lump it into a big lump, but a lumpy-lump religion is useless, and while people spend a lot of time just enjoying their lumpy-lump religion, there come times when they have to tease a piece off of the lump and deal with something specific. Maybe they need a divine position on a moral quandary. Perhaps they want to perform a religious ceremony. Maybe they are evangelising and someone asks a specific question and they are not in the mood to just politician the question away... There are many reasons why religion would need to be something specific, and in those moment religion is actually defined, and when something is defined, it can be tested. Now, science is a matter of practicality. Not all definitions veer into the realm of the practical, so not everything can be scientifically tested, sometimes we have to use rationality or something instead, but science can do a lot. Science can demonstrate that souls do not account for any known physical phenomena. It can be that the sample size was too small and that person just didn't happen to have a soul, or that the non-biologically-synthesised human does have a soul, thus the need for large sample-sizes and control groups and such. So too might the testing apparatus be faulty, but again, testing can be rigorous to reduce this to a risk that is, from any sensible perspective, not a risk. Science can demonstrate that prayers don't change outcomes, and if you don't think that prayers are supposed to change outcomes, then you won't have a problem with that. Science can demonstrate that a holy relic possesses identical properties to an otherwise identical entity with no religious significance. Does a demonstration equal truth? No! but the rigours that science places upon its demonstrations make them more reliable than human memory or belief, unless you have never, in your whole life, come to believe that a prior belief was flawed. What did you believe when you were 5? Are you familiar with any studies into the reliability of human testimony?

Nobody believes that belief alone is sufficient. They only resort to such extremes when they are pressed. If your receive an E-mail asking for help to smuggle money away from a Somali Warlord, do you dismiss it because it is spam, or read it and judge if you believe them to be sincere, with no regard at all for your past experience or the knowledge that you have accumulated from your surroundings? Of course you base your decision on observed phenomena from your life. You may do so not-consciously. You might just embrace a truth that bubbles up from your instincts honed over al life of cautions and regrets. That doesn't mean that you are willing to accept belief in the compete absence of corroboration from consistent sources.

So no, science will never say that your worship is not accepted by a being that you have chosen. But it might just hint that you don't worship a being that exactly matches the description of what you thought yourself to worship, and if science ever does so, then it will do so with far more veracity than most any other source you could hope to find.

The existence of religious scientists is meaningless. Religions that have any hint of sanity have, like everyone else with a hint of sanity, learned that a fight with something that can make nukes is not going to be fun. Religion and science just don't have many points of contention anymore. Imagine a scientific study on torture in the midst of The Inquisition claiming that confessions were all completely unreliable. What of a study into infections that demonstrated that contributing factors had only vague correlation to religious virtues or vices, and some where outright inverted? It is extremely rare that religion will have any position at all on practical matters, it wasn't always this way...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6302 on: December 29, 2017, 02:23:48 am »

Every scientist I have ever meet has straight up stated that science can not be used to comment on things such as the existence of god as they are out of the realm of the scientific method. I also know quite a few religious scientists of various kinds. So believe what you will and don't let people tell you that God doesn't exist because "science." I hate when people do that.
It's fine to believe in a god of the gaps.
I believe in a multitude of fairies of the gaps.  I am not being sarcastic, my real-life experiences have supported my faith.

No scientist will ever tell you that science can disprove the things which defy definition.
My fairies, by definition, avoid analysis.

They avoid analysis by definition? How does that work, sounds more like you don't want to analyze them, which is fine if you just want to bask in the beauty of nature or something and not dwell on the 'why is it this way?'.
They are literally the gods of the gaps!
And I want to analyze them, or even let others analyze them.  They are the space which we, as a species, don't yet know.  The ever decreasing space.

And they are the snake I encounter while walking, too.

I seek to reduce the thing(s) I worship, and I know there will always be more.
How horrible, if there was an end.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6303 on: December 29, 2017, 03:12:33 am »

No no no, the snake isn't a thing between the gaps. It's simply glorious biology, being amazing.
Full of stuff that makes sense, but more of it than you could possibly count, and put together perfectly. No mere fairies could do that. It's nature.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6304 on: December 29, 2017, 07:02:00 am »

Things I observed, which I don't have to describe or prove.

I can simply say that you should observe the things around you, and look for miracles nearby.
And that's just as valid as any of the Abrahamic faiths which have no evidence at all.
They can barely support that Jesus even existed at all, much less that he was the person/god they claim him to be.

Miracles of nature then? Like, for example, how mathematical constants repeat in nature all the time and there are elegant solutions in math that appear like organic things. Which is pretty awesome when you think about it.

I should note that mathematical constants in nature tend to either be overblown (phi), tautological (e in exponential decay, pi in circles) or straight up misunderstood/fabricated (phi again, mostly as relates to fibonacci spirals)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: December 29, 2017, 07:11:17 am »

I much prefer the strange ones, like the collatz conjecture.  Why should the number, no matter which one is picked, always lead to the same terminal sequence? Very curious.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6306 on: December 29, 2017, 07:36:38 am »

PLA Naval University developing railgun technology for China.
USA has completed its railgun project, producing a working railgun. However, it has not met Pentagon's standards for implementation and will not see use in combat, at least until more years or research and optimization takes place. Key failures were: Its power consumption being too large for most US navy ships to feasibly use (being fitted on only 3 Zumwalt class destroyers), its rate of fire being 4.8 shots per minute instead of 10 shots per minute, and maintenance being grim with the gun wearing itself down too quickly after use.
Interestingly despite the failure of the railgun project, the High Velocity Projectile developed for the railgun is turning out to be a great success - as it can be fired from the howitzers and guns the US Army and Navy respectively already use.
Thus by widening the platform range of the HVP, the spiritual legacy of the railgun lives on, until it is reborn in season II of railguns and spirituality

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: December 29, 2017, 08:07:19 am »

USA has completed its railgun project, producing a working railgun. However, it has not met Pentagon's standards for implementation and will not see use in combat, at least until more years or research and optimization takes place. Key failures were: Its power consumption being too large for most US navy ships to feasibly use (being fitted on only 3 Zumwalt class destroyers), its rate of fire being 4.8 shots per minute instead of 10 shots per minute, and maintenance being grim with the gun wearing itself down too quickly after use.
Interestingly despite the failure of the railgun project, the High Velocity Projectile developed for the railgun is turning out to be a great success - as it can be fired from the howitzers and guns the US Army and Navy respectively already use.
Thus by widening the platform range of the HVP, the spiritual legacy of the railgun lives on, until it is reborn in season II of railguns and spirituality
Finally, some true spirituality in this thread!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: December 29, 2017, 09:58:06 am »

Things I observed, which I don't have to describe or prove.

I can simply say that you should observe the things around you, and look for miracles nearby.
And that's just as valid as any of the Abrahamic faiths which have no evidence at all.
They can barely support that Jesus even existed at all, much less that he was the person/god they claim him to be.

Miracles of nature then? Like, for example, how mathematical constants repeat in nature all the time and there are elegant solutions in math that appear like organic things. Which is pretty awesome when you think about it.

I should note that mathematical constants in nature tend to either be overblown (phi), tautological (e in exponential decay, pi in circles) or straight up misunderstood/fabricated (phi again, mostly as relates to fibonacci spirals)

It's still neat though.

Finally, some true spirituality in this thread!

lol

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: December 29, 2017, 11:58:52 am »

Need we bring back Examplo and His Great Example by which we all may prosper?

Examples for the Example God! Groceries for the Groceries Throne!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 12:04:01 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: December 29, 2017, 03:19:13 pm »

Praise the rail.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: January 04, 2018, 03:57:10 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reading up on the taking of the Promised Land is rather interesting. Their justification for the taking of the land in particular.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6312 on: January 04, 2018, 04:08:18 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reading up on the taking of the Promised Land is rather interesting. Their justification for the taking of the land in particular.
'We can take the land because it is feasible. We have the railgun technology. Goliath will fall.'

Old Testament: Attack on Jericho

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: January 04, 2018, 08:16:21 pm »

"They're like giants!"  "Giant targets."
Railguns, like ray spells, target touch AC.  Probably do aggravated damage, too.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: January 28, 2018, 03:35:02 pm »

Interesting statistical alarmism about Gen Z from the Christian polling organization Barna. While it is true that rejection of religion basically jackknifed after the Xers were done, I'm not sure I believe anything that comes from Barna, but at least this isn't a continuation of the "Gen Z will be the most Christian and Republican ever" meme that keeps getting thrown around"

That said, I am interested in when the "religion bubble" in the US is going to pop, if it hasn't already. When we'll see the heroic story of "save the old church" end with it getting sold off to be made into a gay nightclub instead of the bakesale coming through, and such. If you've got falling numbers, that's eventually got to reach a number where it spontaneously fails as an organized religion. So what number is it?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 03:36:50 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 521