I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582401 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #6360 on: July 18, 2018, 11:48:39 am »

Fun fact that few are aware of: the Torah (Bible: Episode 1) never mentions any kind of afterlife whatsoever.

What are the specific circumstances that make a religion start focusing more on the afterlife?  Nowadays it's near impossible to find people who believe in God but no afterlife, to the extent that most people assume that the two are intrinsically intertwined, yet history implies that this was not always the case.

It doesn't explicitly mention one, but there are parts of it that could be read as referring to an afterlife. Job's reward after all of his trials seems pretty in the spirit of an afterlife to me. There's also the one time where Samuel's spirit comes and talks to Saul, which definitely implies the persistence of the soul after death, if not an organized afterlife.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6361 on: July 18, 2018, 12:00:38 pm »

Fun fact that few are aware of: the Torah (Bible: Episode 1) never mentions any kind of afterlife whatsoever.

What are the specific circumstances that make a religion start focusing more on the afterlife?  Nowadays it's near impossible to find people who believe in God but no afterlife, to the extent that most people assume that the two are intrinsically intertwined, yet history implies that this was not always the case.

It doesn't explicitly mention one, but there are parts of it that could be read as referring to an afterlife. Job's reward after all of his trials seems pretty in the spirit of an afterlife to me. There's also the one time where Samuel's spirit comes and talks to Saul, which definitely implies the persistence of the soul after death, if not an organized afterlife.

That's why I specified the Torah (Five books of Moses).  Samuel comes a few hundred years later (and moreover even that doesn't really suggest any kind of reward or punishment in the afterlife, which is generally the crux of the issue when people talk about the afterlife in relation to religion).

As for Job, that refers to worldly reward (and is a pretty weird book any way you look at it, since it implies that divine justice can be a bit of a screwy and incomprehensible thing).

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6362 on: July 18, 2018, 12:42:38 pm »

Kind of getting a little off topic, but one thing about the story of Job that always bothered me was that Job's family was (mostly) killed off, and God made it better by giving him new kids.  That... doesn't really fix the problem.  Didn't he care about his old kids?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6363 on: July 18, 2018, 02:00:41 pm »

That's why I specified the Torah (Five books of Moses).  Samuel comes a few hundred years later (and moreover even that doesn't really suggest any kind of reward or punishment in the afterlife, which is generally the crux of the issue when people talk about the afterlife in relation to religion).

As for Job, that refers to worldly reward (and is a pretty weird book any way you look at it, since it implies that divine justice can be a bit of a screwy and incomprehensible thing).

Ah, fair enough. I still think there's an argument to be made that Job's "Persevere through your troubles and God will reward you" deal is really close to the "modern" notion of an afterlife. There's a more tenous argument that Job's reward is a metaphor for an afterlife, but that's more my personal interpretation then how it was likely perceived before the advent ot Christianity.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6364 on: July 18, 2018, 03:28:42 pm »

Apparently English people worship magpies.

Who knew.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6365 on: July 19, 2018, 04:12:42 am »

Egyptians worshipped dung beetles.

It's probably harder to find something that wasn't sacred to anyone than to find something that was.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6366 on: July 19, 2018, 01:43:15 pm »

You'd have to get either really specific or really modern. Whether that modernity is discovery or invention.

So like, "this one dog in Talbuk with a gnarly toe" or "angler fish."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6367 on: July 19, 2018, 08:37:50 pm »

I'unno, you might not be able to get away with anything living, depending on how you look at it. There's some radical pacifist groups that consider basically everything alive to be sacred, iirc, so both talbukian gnarldoggo and angler fish would be included. Might have better luck with inanimate/unliving stuff, maybe.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6368 on: July 19, 2018, 08:49:41 pm »

And even then you get into Animism and the exact definition of "sacred".
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6369 on: July 20, 2018, 02:35:49 am »

I have a theory that the religion most likely to be accurate is the one with the most numerous independent inceptions. I suspect that this is "a bunch of talking animals(especially if you include animal-human hybrids) being terrible to each other". I am now wondering if only sadistic furries go to heaven. This seem rather at odds with modern sensibilities, but I am yet to locate the flaw in my logic.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6370 on: July 20, 2018, 03:00:36 am »

Wouldn't it be more common for people to independently come up with no religion in particular?~
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6371 on: July 20, 2018, 03:11:37 am »

I suppose that the earliest humans were irreligious.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6372 on: July 20, 2018, 06:28:24 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:00:50 pm by dragdeler »
let

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6373 on: July 20, 2018, 08:53:03 am »

as far as we know they were shamanistic.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6374 on: July 20, 2018, 08:58:55 am »

as far as we know they were shamanistic.
I meant the very earliest humans. Before any real culture formed.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 521