I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582452 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #7425 on: August 11, 2023, 03:26:13 pm »

Nahh, being herero breeds new god-organs.
God's seed can be sent to the destination artificially without doing that nasty thing
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: August 11, 2023, 03:36:53 pm »

God's seed came before non-fleshy vessels capable of distributing it were devised.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: August 11, 2023, 04:09:57 pm »

I can't tell how much of this is honest ignorance versus intentional satire on the way people interpret scriptures.

This disturbs me. I feel like I'm in cognitive decline...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: August 11, 2023, 04:18:27 pm »

Also, if God is male (Adam was created in his image and when God decided to manifest himself he did that in a male form) isn't it kinda wrong, when you, being a supreme being MADE IN THE IMAGE OF GOD, join your flesh with someone who is not as god-like and misses some divine bodyparts?

You should seek the company of other god-like creations. Being hetero is clearly sinful.
This is inaccurate. Adam wasn't a "man" until after his "rib" was removed to create Eve. Thus "male" is NOT the Divine Image. Pretty sure that means God is a Hermaphrodite.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: August 11, 2023, 04:21:07 pm »

Or a siamese twin, if that rib was Eve-shaped
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: August 11, 2023, 04:40:00 pm »

I can't tell how much of this is honest ignorance versus intentional satire on the way people interpret scriptures.

What makes you so sure your interpretation is correct?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: August 11, 2023, 04:53:54 pm »

Well in this case it's because nobody in serious academic history has ever considered "mankind made in the image of God" to refer to Adam/males only, nor do they consider it to mean "a bipedal mostly hairless mammal."

But lots of vocal ill-informed people, who don't know the difference between the literary styles of the Bible (allegory, history, poetry, letters, parables, apocalyptic, etc.), or basic academic rules of how to interpret ancient literature, make all kinds of...questionable statements. Many of which show up on internet forums as Statements of Unfounded Certainty.

But in this thread, which has a notable Aspect of Humor... well I can't tell...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: August 11, 2023, 05:13:30 pm »

Considering that throughout history most religions have not allowed women in positions of authority within them, and some still don’t, and even within those that do there’s significant enough “legacy” discontent that publicly speaking out about women in these positions is not wholly frowned upon, it’s not the biggest leap in the world to make that when the people who wrote the book say “man” they mean “men”.

Most people don’t have academic levels of analytical ability, either, including the vast majority of people who are actually preaching from the book, so the “ill-informed” are also the ones teaching from it.

What does it matter anyway? The way you (mis)interpret it isn’t going to be affected by the way someone else (mis)interprets it. That’s why there are so many different brands of Christianity.

There’s no point in being offended by it either. If you’re right, you end up in paradise and they don’t. The ultimate fuck you, surely?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: August 11, 2023, 05:41:06 pm »

Why would I want anyone to be "screwed" in this life or the next? That would bring me no joy. (Although I admit, I feel selfish pleasure when I see a traffic offender get pulled over. So I'm not really as good as I seem on TV.)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: August 12, 2023, 12:15:21 am »

It is plain simple mockery. I could go further and start quote-mining the Bible as all Christians do to some extent but it is too much work.

Implying that Jesus's words about looking at women with lust mean that a proper Christian should be a homosexual is far less absurd and context-ignoring than, for example, the mainstream nonsense that the creator of the universe magically fucked a random monkey (aka his mother in a weird act of recursive incest) to give birth to himself basing it on some vague Jesus's claims present only in Jhon.

BTW, Why do three other gospels omit such a MINOR detail of Jesus claiming to be the god of Abraham?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7435 on: August 12, 2023, 12:52:46 am »

I think it's funny.

Nothing anyone ever says here-- or anywhere for what matter-- will seriously affect my beliefs so to me it's a good laugh.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: August 13, 2023, 05:31:54 am »

In a world before Christ, such a man as you would make a wonderful Jew.

The same man, after Christ, even having witnessed all the portents and signs of the new testament, would clutch his scrolls, glare, and deny himself entry to heaven.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: August 13, 2023, 08:13:45 am »

In a world before Christ, such a man as you would make a wonderful Jew.

The same man, after Christ, even having witnessed all the portents and signs of the new testament, would clutch his scrolls, glare, and deny himself entry to heaven.

I am confused. Who are you addressing?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7438 on: August 13, 2023, 09:08:22 am »

I think he is adressing Max, because if all the jews of that age would have thought "Nothing anyone ever says here-- or anywhere for what matter-- will seriously affect my beliefs so to me it's a good laugh", christianity would never have existed.

Christianity only exists because the believers allowed their beliefs to be affected by what someone (Jesus) said.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: August 13, 2023, 09:33:12 am »

Well, what other people said he said, as agreed upon by various organizational consensuses over the centuries, anyway.

Any case, christianity as it exists today only exists because of a lot of things that have very, very little to do with the scripture or its believers, heh. Lot of it doesn't even have anything to do with the religion itself, per se, save insofar as it was used as a sometimes genocidal bludgeon against various governments' designated punching bags.

That's religion for yeh, tho'. You'd think there'd be at least one major one that didn't have that somewhere in their history, but... not as far as I'm aware. Frikkin' jainism, whose primary teaching is nonviolence and the reduction of harm, even had a period where they were the major religion in an expansionist state :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 521