Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803135 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #810 on: April 22, 2015, 09:24:39 pm »

Tips for a beginner?

Two. Words.

KNIFE SPEAR

Although Karate/Krav Maga work pretty well too, KNIFE SPEAR is the best starting weapon. I've heard some kind of new-fangled "Spear with forks in" is also apparently pretty good, so you may want to investigate that as well.
WHAT LEVEL IS NEEDED FOR KNIFE SPEAR? IT'S NOT AVAILABLE WITH 0 SKILL AND I THOUGHT IT WAS STANDARD META TACTICS TO START WITH NO SKILL AND WORK YOUR WAY UP.

I know everyone here proclaims KNIFE SPEAR from the bottom of their dark hearts, but my successful runs always seem to use crowbar or STEEL CHAIN.
Yeah, my go to starting weapon last I played (many versions ago) was a makeshift crowbar. My one character (out of 3) that tried using it against some kreks got splatted due to "over-encumbrance" in the chest throwing them off balance despite the only things they had on the chest was a long sleeve shirt and a makeshift blanket-bag-pouch-thing.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: April 22, 2015, 09:26:46 pm »

The sling is only good when moving very large items while safe, like to build a car or something. If not 2 hobo bindles are great since they only encumber your hands.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: April 22, 2015, 09:32:34 pm »

Eh, I last played before the change to 'makeshift crowbar', so I actually mean the crowbar, with its beautiful +2 accuracy.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: April 22, 2015, 09:56:21 pm »

How do run.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 22, 2015, 10:04:22 pm »

Tips for a beginner?

Two. Words.

KNIFE SPEAR

Although Karate/Krav Maga work pretty well too, KNIFE SPEAR is the best starting weapon. I've heard some kind of new-fangled "Spear with forks in" is also apparently pretty good, so you may want to investigate that as well.
WHAT LEVEL IS NEEDED FOR KNIFE SPEAR? IT'S NOT AVAILABLE WITH 0 SKILL AND I THOUGHT IT WAS STANDARD META TACTICS TO START WITH NO SKILL AND WORK YOUR WAY UP.

You need 1 or 2 Survival to make it. Plus Survival is useful for tons of other useful stuff[Like surviving, for example].

How do run.

No idea. Haven't played the new version with the stamina system and such.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: April 22, 2015, 10:12:19 pm »

How do run.

No idea. Haven't played the new version with the stamina system and such.

Looking through the keybindings and stuff and I'm not seeing any obvious key to turn on a "run mode" or anything. Could've sworn something like that existed.

Having a hard time getting starting gear. Having to fight zombies, doesn't seem to be going well. Had to light 2 brush fires to kill 2 tough zombies, got various nicks and scratches. There's other shit like clumps of zombies, or zombie dogs, all of which I don't want to deal with, but I need loot.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 22, 2015, 10:14:48 pm »

Geez, you guys work to build vehicles? I usually just find a field or abandoned building outside of town and build a progressively more heavily fortified compound (if I live long enough to worry about such things.) The most I do for vehicles is stationary stuff. I did solar powered turrets once, and a powered minifridge + "onboard" chemistry lab kitchen, but all with rather limited success.

Actually, I was thinking of doing an underground living type challenge and was wondering about long term lighting solutions. Solar is my go-to, but I suspect I'd have some difficulty finding a source of solar power in my cave. Will I asphyxiate or something if I try to use a combustion engine, or is that not a viable solution long-term?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: April 22, 2015, 10:20:13 pm »

Could always try what I do, just toss rocks till you get one in throwing and just build a bunch of those throwing spears. You get ten of em. They won't do much damage but it's easier kiting with them with little to no risk.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: April 22, 2015, 10:27:21 pm »

I, uh, raided a house. Amongst the loot I found cigs, a glock and some 9mm ammo, and a, uh, wolf suit. Are wolf suits still great like I remember reading about?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 22, 2015, 11:09:43 pm »

Great for warmth and looking like a fury in the furpocalypse.

Also, run key is
Code: [Select]
"

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: April 22, 2015, 11:11:30 pm »

I used a dinosaur suit recently, and the 100% coverage is a great thing to have. Almost every hit were blocked by the suit.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: April 22, 2015, 11:48:26 pm »

I used a dinosaur suit recently, and the 100% coverage is a great thing to have. Almost every hit were blocked by the suit.

Kevlar scales, dude.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: April 22, 2015, 11:59:33 pm »

Geez, you guys work to build vehicles? I usually just find a field or abandoned building outside of town and build a progressively more heavily fortified compound (if I live long enough to worry about such things.) The most I do for vehicles is stationary stuff. I did solar powered turrets once, and a powered minifridge + "onboard" chemistry lab kitchen, but all with rather limited success.

Actually, I was thinking of doing an underground living type challenge and was wondering about long term lighting solutions. Solar is my go-to, but I suspect I'd have some difficulty finding a source of solar power in my cave. Will I asphyxiate or something if I try to use a combustion engine, or is that not a viable solution long-term?

Yes, a gas generator in an enclosed space will generate smoke that will kill you or, if you have a gas mask, obscure your vision. Ventilate properly!

Re: vehicles: It's not a real cata game until you've made an armor plated multiple-engine reinforced mobile fortress with all the comforts of home and a few thousand storage units. Quit being an elf and get with the program. :P
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: April 23, 2015, 12:26:09 am »

I found some fungaloids and spores growing almost within view range of my shelter. Should I be concerned? I think I should be concerned. Not sure if I have the gear to deal with it though.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: April 23, 2015, 01:05:27 am »

Having a hard time getting starting gear. Having to fight zombies, doesn't seem to be going well. Had to light 2 brush fires to kill 2 tough zombies, got various nicks and scratches. There's other shit like clumps of zombies, or zombie dogs, all of which I don't want to deal with, but I need loot.
I usually can survive off foraging for the first little while, especially if there's a river/swamp nearby where I can get water. I can usually get a stone pot with a bit of wild-life butcher and meat killing, and from there I can boil the water I need and forage the eggs I need to survive long enough to get some basic reinforced clothing, made from the curtains of the windows that I then board up, to start going after the towns.

You can make bullshit things to get your fabrication up enough to make a wooden needle out of a splinter, which you can get by smashing the starting shelters counters. You can make a stone knife out of two rocks, a stick, and some string. You can make a makeshift knife out of some thread/string and a spike, which you can make with the hammer and some scrap metal. Then you can disassemble the long threads into short threads into thread to put in your needle, cut up the sheets from smashed windows curtains into rags (boarding up the windows afterward to maintain shelter security), and go to town leveling tailoring up by making socks, boxers, cotton hats, and so on. I usually start as the Lost Submissive so that I have the leather to make a water-skin and a leather funnel, so that I can get water.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 451