Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803199 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1155 on: May 17, 2015, 03:06:49 pm »

The only way this is viable, is if for some reason, this helmet is incapable of having the visor lifted.

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1156 on: May 17, 2015, 03:07:51 pm »

Congrats troll. That's not a power helmet, or one made since glasses were a thing.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: May 17, 2015, 03:23:07 pm »

Don't be absurd. Uber soldiers in power armor would not need glasses. They all have better than perfect vision.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: May 17, 2015, 03:23:29 pm »

It IS a full body armor helmet, however, and it is one piece. For good reason arguably; being made of one piece would make it more structuraly robust.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: May 17, 2015, 03:40:57 pm »

Nevertheless, that is also a great helm, and those things are huge. There's enough room for, at the very least, most forms of corrective eyewear because of the sheer amount of padding you have to wear under a nonflexible helm like that. Actually wearing eyewear under it wouldn't probably be the smartest idea, though, given how likely it is to be violently jostled or smashed against (or into) your face if you take a hit.
Nothing important here, move along.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: May 17, 2015, 03:44:20 pm »

Single-piece construction is not necessarily superior to multi-piece construction when modern engineering practices are taken into account, we do have rather more varied techniques available to us than medieval armorers.  Contacts definitely do the job, the only concern I have is that I haven't seen a recipe for them anywhere (again, there is a hell of a lot of stuff to sift through so let me know if I missed it), so from that perspective they are only a short-term option.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: May 17, 2015, 03:47:05 pm »

Congrats troll. That's not a power helmet, or one made since glasses were a thing.
Well it was somewhat funny in any case hehe.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: May 17, 2015, 03:48:56 pm »

Can you use the hospital auto surgery unit (forgot its name) to do a corrective surgery? That would be neat.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: May 17, 2015, 03:51:30 pm »

Really, installing diamond corneas, or almost any of the other optical CBMs should probably correct to 20/20 automatically, but that isn't the argument I'm pursuing.  If the military was going to utilize full environmental powered battle armor, they would certainly include vision-correction into the equation, with either adjustable lenses or inserts.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: May 17, 2015, 03:58:53 pm »

Really, installing diamond corneas, or almost any of the other optical CBMs should probably correct to 20/20 automatically, but that isn't the argument I'm pursuing.
And removing them should permanently blind you too. :P

That said I could certainly see a visor insert, and while I'm working on something else right now, I can certainly add it to near the top of my list of things to work on.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1165 on: May 17, 2015, 04:02:34 pm »

Really, installing diamond corneas, or almost any of the other optical CBMs should probably correct to 20/20 automatically, but that isn't the argument I'm pursuing.  If the military was going to utilize full environmental powered battle armor, they would certainly include vision-correction into the equation, with either adjustable lenses or inserts.
Knowing the military as I do, they'd be more likely to simply screen out soldiers who need corrective eyewear. Its cheaper than designing in vision correction.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: May 17, 2015, 04:05:10 pm »

I AM an ex-soldier.  There is no attempt to screen out those who have correctable vision, as doing so would massively decrease the available pool of recruits.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1167 on: May 17, 2015, 04:07:13 pm »

I AM an ex-soldier.
Yes.. so am I. I'm saying that they'd be more likely to screen out soldiers who require such vision correction than to design it into the helmet's optics.

I still think you should be able to make some corrective goggles or something to wear under them though

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: May 17, 2015, 04:08:59 pm »

Well, NullForce was part of the Shivering Isles military, and you were part of the American military, so maybe along with the other insanities related to that country, the American military cuts down their force like that too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: May 17, 2015, 04:12:46 pm »

They don't even try to exclude them from sniper school, or Navy SEAL training, or Army Special Forces, or even Marine Force Recon.  The Military of the U.S. has spoken, and they say that reducing the number of viable soldiers is less acceptable than paying a rather small cost of dealing with issuing glasses to everyone who needs them, and setting up systems to support them.  Since Cataclysm is set in the U.S. (an alternate future yes, but still the U.S.) we can expect to see some consistency (and we already do.)

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 451