Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 800005 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2160 on: September 12, 2015, 05:36:34 pm »

What would be cool for that is a bionic that 'scans' a book, stores it and then diffuses the knowledge into your brain as you sleep.  It's an 'instant' read that's on a daily cool down, with a power requirement.
That would make a nice tier boost over that bionic student one. Leave the student, but, mmm, bionic professor, grader maybe? "Before the collapse, you were a living scantron machine, scanning thousands of tests a day to grade them, slowly absorbing the views of your students. Now, in the future, no one is stopping you from reading everything." Mandatory defect, ultimate nearsightedness. Special map build, no glasses anywhere else.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: September 12, 2015, 05:50:29 pm »

What would be cool for that is a bionic that 'scans' a book, stores it and then diffuses the knowledge into your brain as you sleep.  It's an 'instant' read that's on a daily cool down, with a power requirement.
That would make a nice tier boost over that bionic student one. Leave the student, but, mmm, bionic professor, grader maybe? "Before the collapse, you were a living scantron machine, scanning thousands of tests a day to grade them, slowly absorbing the views of your students. Now, in the future, no one is stopping you from reading everything." Mandatory defect, ultimate nearsightedness. Special map build, no glasses anywhere else.
Obviously the name would be Time Enough at Last.
And bionics aside I've considered making this mode just to be mean :)
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: September 12, 2015, 09:20:40 pm »

Random thought. Phone books should randomly reveal the location of one business type structure each time you read. In the entire loaded cell of the overmap, so you might find a grocery store just outside your scouted area, or you might reveal a gunstore 20 miles away.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: September 12, 2015, 10:15:24 pm »

That sounds like a really good idea. You want to suggest it on the forums or shall I?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: September 12, 2015, 10:22:39 pm »

Perhaps 1 in 10 it reveals a crater? Some chance it reveals nothing?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2165 on: September 12, 2015, 10:43:31 pm »

Hmm. Maybe skill books should just give you virtual levels in the skill and access to all of their recipes? You'd have to carry the books around everywhere, which would be annoying, and while relying on the books for your skills you'd have a significantly reduced chance of crafting success and crafting speed. But you wouldn't end up spending days mashing 'r', you'd just carry books everywhere and practice the skill.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: September 12, 2015, 10:53:26 pm »

I can see them just revealing a random house somewhere, or perhaps, if you are really, really lucky, a cabin in the woods. Possibly even a hidden cabin...

As for the books, I dont really like the idea of virtual levels, as that is basically how skill rust feels to me, but then I basicly do carry all the skill books I find around with me, so it wouldn't affect me any.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2167 on: September 12, 2015, 11:03:26 pm »

I like the virtual levels idea. Gives incentive to balancing one of those bird things that swing back and forth over your R key, at least, while making it easier on those of us who aren't masochists.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: September 12, 2015, 11:16:18 pm »

I don't really like any of these ideas. Readings never really bothered me, as I can just go browse bay 12 for a couple minutes while its going on.

I don't see how having to lug your books around would be a problem. Or to be more precise, I don't see why you would have to lug them around in the first place. It's not like you need to craft mutagen in the middle of a triffid nest, so you can just leave the books at you're base/car.

Thou reduced success chance on recipes isn't a terrible idea.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: September 13, 2015, 01:23:14 am »

Yeah, I've never had a problem with books, at all. If you're playing with skill rust and need to re-read books THAT often for THAT long, you have only yourself to blame. Otherwise, just stockpile food and water til the weather is shitty then read your books until the thunderstorm passes over and go back to what you were doing.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: September 13, 2015, 03:29:37 am »

Yeah, books are a great way to wait for the night to end, that kind of stuff.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: September 13, 2015, 06:14:27 am »

wanna also getting into that game, can anybody recommend a good, comprehensive (video) tutorial ?
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: September 13, 2015, 08:58:17 am »

wanna also getting into that game, can anybody recommend a good, comprehensive (video) tutorial ?

Not one I know of, but you can pick up bits and pieces from streamers that just go in gung ho with one character. Everyone has their own playstyle and a single tutorial for pure human will be different from any of the dozen mutation lines simply because your tools and priorities change. I would say start by reading the keybindings. Those are very important. Then get in and think about how those keybindings can interact. Even recent streamers and youtube video makers don't realize all they can do. They don't know a lot of interactions in various situations. For example, put a jerry can next to you and have a rubber hose in your hand and try to interact with a vehicle. Now put the hose down and try it again. Now take six steps away from your items but still be next to the vehicle. You change the conditions and your options change. Much of the game is coded fairly logically and it tends to just get better with each experimental release.

For people that play I'd say hit up twitch and go to the Cataclysm DDA page. See who's streaming. Sit and watch for at least an hour before asking questions. Go to youtube and find One F Jef or PlumpHelmetPunk and maybe even Aavak. But for all the time you watch them you could just play and experiment for yourself. A couple hours of Jef could give you a decent primer.

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: September 13, 2015, 10:59:39 am »

Ok, thx BigD145 for the hints...
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: September 13, 2015, 11:24:33 am »

There's also some guides on the wiki, but they're pretty badly outdated. CataDDA is the kind of game where you constantly find new things and have eureka moments, best learned by playing.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 451