Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803079 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2460 on: October 25, 2015, 09:12:39 am »

You don't find zombies a threat despite the whole grabbing thing? They can really mess you up if there's more than one.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: October 27, 2015, 05:50:12 am »

I don't think there is, although it should be relatively easy to do stuff to dog JSON files.

Possible mod/update idea: Safemode only works on hostiles?
thincake

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: October 27, 2015, 08:17:23 am »

I don't think there is, although it should be relatively easy to do stuff to dog JSON files.

Possible mod/update idea: Safemode only works on hostiles?

Not all entities are hostile at all ranges when you first meet them. Not all entities notice you when you first see them. Dogs can go hostile on you if they sense fear or weakness. Moose get pissed off when you get close.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #2463 on: October 27, 2015, 09:27:53 am »

If we want to go all super-detailed on armor, incoming damage would end up being split four ways, depending on armor, body part, etc:
  • Mitigated - Elastic materials (e.g. Kevlar™) deflect a little bit of damage without getting damaged.
  • Absorbed - The armor absorbs some of the shock and is damaged in your stead.
  • Injuring - Your body absorbs a limited amount of damage, based on which body part was hit, what kind of attack it was etc.
  • Wasted - The remaining damage could be passed on to something behind the target, if it makes sense for the attack type.
Some examples:

A t-shirt won't mitigate damage, but will absorb a little damage; since it has low durability it wears out quickly.
Armor-piercing ammo does a lot of damage, but your body doesn't absorb it very well, so it is not much more effective on an unarmored target than an armored one.  However, you could shoot through targets.
A long spear also benefits from this, allowing you to skewer two zombies at the same time, however, your spear will become stuck.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: October 27, 2015, 10:05:40 am »

About the idea of a shopping cart with an engine and a steering wheel that I talked about on here a long time ago, has anyone actually done that yet? I tried to do it once, but I got lazy and gave up before I found everything I needed.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: October 27, 2015, 10:11:05 am »

About the idea of a shopping cart with an engine and a steering wheel that I talked about on here a long time ago, has anyone actually done that yet? I tried to do it once, but I got lazy and gave up before I found everything I needed.
Large electric motor, solar panel, and a steering wheel. Thing was hilarious and extremely peppy.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: October 27, 2015, 10:26:40 am »

Large electric motor, solar panel, and a steering wheel. Thing was hilarious and extremely peppy.

Probably best to have the 'x' out front while driving so you know which way is the front.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: October 27, 2015, 11:12:26 am »

...incoming damage would end up being split four ways...
Add one more: knockback. Whether by natural reflexes, the power of the attack, or the skill of the target, things usually recoil/stumble/stagger/roll/fly back when hit, which reduces injuries by spreading the force over a longer distance. Maybe this could fit in the "Wasted" category, actually.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #2468 on: October 28, 2015, 01:47:01 am »

Yay for knockback!

I'd have to think about the calculation a bit.  It'd probably be affected by the armor material and the total amount of unwasted damage.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: October 28, 2015, 02:03:49 am »

Just be careful not to overdo knockback, since the amount of force required to make people fly is really quite great. No Hollywood physics, please. A furious assault forcing a critter/character back a tile or two is fine, especially if combined with dodge or the like, but making people fly should be limited to major monsters (and should cause major damage).

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: October 28, 2015, 03:47:45 pm »

I think labs are supposed to invoke Nothing is Scarier.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: October 28, 2015, 05:14:26 pm »

Labs honestly feel to me like a throwback to dungeon-based roguelike-ing.

They are a huge, mazelike structure featuring some powerful enemies (which was since way toned down by comparison since overworld got things like upgrading zombies and stupid instadeath drones) - and still, containing charmers like Bio-Operators, Turrets and Netherworlders, plus all the high tech traps and locks only some highly kitted out characters can beat, plus on top of it all the temperature drop forcing you to be equipped well enough to survive it...

And what you get in exchange is some of the most powerful items in the game - top of the line books, bionics and bmutagen, off the top of my head. Classic high-level dungeon structure.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: October 28, 2015, 05:20:45 pm »

What are the stupid insta death drones? If yer talking about the tank/chicken bots, those where in when labs first showed... Or at the least, both are Whales Creations.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: October 28, 2015, 08:39:14 pm »

Is climate a little bit random at world gen? Because on my most recent playthrough on a new map it's been raining non-stop for 5 days. It's nice in that water is plentiful, but just seems a bit unusual.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: October 28, 2015, 09:29:25 pm »

Spring does that.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 451