Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 799933 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #3240 on: April 25, 2016, 08:43:05 am »

Hmm, is there anywhere I can find a description of what the various furniture do? I mean, what would be the difference between a wood stove and a fireplace for example? Plus some like the charcoal kiln and smoking rack I would have no idea how to use unless you get some sort of description after they are built. Constructions in general might benefit from having descriptions attached.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: April 25, 2016, 08:49:43 am »

Afaik it does in fact replace the soldering iron and the welder. Unless it was changed recently

Both functions devour batteries however. So if your reserves are not too good... well.

(I use a custom "easier start" mod so I've used cbm tools quite a bit. It is indeed a very convenient cbm. Not that you cant fulfil its function in other ways... tools are easy to get and welders easy to juryrig. It does save you the time hunting them down and then lugging them around)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: April 25, 2016, 09:14:16 am »

So I create my first world and character in ages. Go to hit random name. The name it gives me?

Craig Ferguson.

This is promising already.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: April 25, 2016, 09:20:31 am »

From previous experience, I do think the can substitute the welder, its just rather energy inefficient by comparison. However, with some nice power generator CBMs, you can get a lot of shit done, and if you have a joint torsion hatchet, you can basically recharge when you go around searching for extra stuff to place on your vehicle.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3244 on: April 25, 2016, 09:24:26 am »

Craig Ferguson.
Oh yeah, the names are fantastic. Whoever put Snow Meow in there is my hero.

(I use a custom "easier start" mod)
That's a good idea, really. I've been meaning to tweak the drop rates of some items (mainly canned food and everyday tools) to be more common, because beyond game balance it doesn't make much sense for them to be as rare as they are.
It's also annoying to turn up item rates in worldgen to deal with that, only to discover that your neighbour now has nine shotguns in their bedside table.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: April 25, 2016, 11:21:57 am »

I always assume that large part of the food stores and so one have already been looted/eaten in the first few days of the Apocalypse.

Re: Integrated Toolset CBM, the best think to combine it with is internal furnace. A log or two will give you a crapton of energy.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: April 25, 2016, 04:04:37 pm »

It's been like that for years. Really annoying, since some recipies(deluxe cooked oatmeal, I'm looking at you) have a massive list of (possible) ingredients.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: April 25, 2016, 04:48:07 pm »

No? I've never heard of that issue.

I thought you were talking about the crafting menu.
Spoiler: Specifically, this (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: April 25, 2016, 04:52:52 pm »

Pressing m works, right?
thincake

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: April 25, 2016, 05:07:07 pm »

Not if the list is still too large for even that. Which, at the terminal height I have it at, some are.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: April 25, 2016, 05:49:51 pm »

Craig Ferguson.
Oh yeah, the names are fantastic. Whoever put Snow Meow in there is my hero.

(I use a custom "easier start" mod)
That's a good idea, really. I've been meaning to tweak the drop rates of some items (mainly canned food and everyday tools) to be more common, because beyond game balance it doesn't make much sense for them to be as rare as they are.
It's also annoying to turn up item rates in worldgen to deal with that, only to discover that your neighbour now has nine shotguns in their bedside table.
My main reason is that I grow frustrated with slow starts. I kind of miss some of the ease from the whalesdev days (although granted, back then becoming unstoppable was TOO easy).

My custom start basically gives you a custom profession several "quality of life" bionics with low point cost as to make the early game easier, as well  as a couple of custom starting scenarios for flavor. It doesn't modify item spawn rates, or, indeed, monster strenght.  Furthermore , as   the augments are not particularily geared for combat, it's important to play it careful. Even then mid-game death by hubris is a distinct possibility.

Anyway, if you're curious, here's the link
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=11110.msg273249#msg273249
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: April 26, 2016, 04:59:34 am »

Heh, found a Main Battle Tank in the middle of the road. Except for a few holes in the armor, the only thing it needs is replacement controls. And probably a hundred or so gallons of diesel.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: April 26, 2016, 08:37:41 am »

Idk, the problem with the game atm isn't that the start tends to be slow, its that once you get to a point where you have a working character up that can deal with most things, there's not much to do after. You can travel around, get yourself a nice vehicle, install tons of CBMs and mutate yourself to high hell, but there's no sort of super end game thing or challenges to do.

I feel this could be made better by following the general tendency of the cataclysm, IE of things getting worse as time goes on. Not only with scarier zombies etc, but an extra element of danger, like portals opening up in certain places, spawning hard to fight creeps and that can only be shut down by destroying a certain creature or thing. I also feel there should also be some sort of incentive for players to go and destroy fungal towers, triffid groves and etc.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: April 26, 2016, 09:17:45 am »

id love it.  id love to see real progress on the war of three or factions running around with guns or anomalous areas
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: April 26, 2016, 09:37:40 am »

Yea, I do feel the game is lacking an entire layer of gameplay still. Hiding or at least moving silently should be a thing, because otherwise, fighting anything with a ranged weapon consist of hiding in some place or shooting back at them and hoping you kill them before they kill you.

Having factions running around with armed thugs to loot, kill certain things, trying to ambush the player and whatnot would add a great deal of immersion to the game.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 451