Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 800031 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #4290 on: December 07, 2016, 09:11:34 pm »

So Ive been experimenting with removing the Greenies as the default zombie spawn.

What I mean is, the game rolls a 1000 sided die when decides it wants to spawn something.  It adds up all the spawns in the group it has chosen to spawn (based on location and chance), and goes down the weighted list.  If the die lands on a monster, it checks how expensive it is.  If it can spawn it it does, if it cannot afford it or it land on a 'vacant' number it spawns the default monster.

The default monster for zombie groups is a Greenie Zombie. Ive taken them out and put the Null Monster in instead; literally no spawn.  this makes it so that all the singular spawning zombies will not spawn so much.  this removes a lot of the 'noise' people see in cities, and those that city raiders get pissed about being everywhere.

This makes cities 'feel' safer.  Loot 'looks' safer.  And they are to a point.  no loose walls of zombies milling around, only tighter groupings, as if they were drawn together by noise.  You can grab your items, but hordes still exist (or dont, but I assume you use hordes if when I make the mod so it might just be easier now if they are off).

But, this makes hordes more sudden instead of a floating entity that trickles in.  this makes the zombies more ambushy and makes them less noisy and thus more stealthy.  This makes raiding more dangerous but less stressful.  This allows players to die by their own actions, by choosing to chase that loot rather than suicidally yolo into a crowd.

So would you could you try the mod and give feedbacks?
https://github.com/pisskop/PKs_Rebalancing

For reference, I tried 4 times today to make it to sunup and did 1 time.  The other times I died to running blindly into a crowd (naked and dark start), Zombies tearing down my wall (stopped to read a book), and good old cooking ammo (fires be useful yo).
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: December 07, 2016, 09:53:45 pm »

So Ive been experimenting with removing the Greenies as the default zombie spawn.

What I mean is, the game rolls a 1000 sided die when decides it wants to spawn something.  It adds up all the spawns in the group it has chosen to spawn (based on location and chance), and goes down the weighted list.  If the die lands on a monster, it checks how expensive it is.  If it can spawn it it does, if it cannot afford it or it land on a 'vacant' number it spawns the default monster.

The default monster for zombie groups is a Greenie Zombie. Ive taken them out and put the Null Monster in instead; literally no spawn.  this makes it so that all the singular spawning zombies will not spawn so much.  this removes a lot of the 'noise' people see in cities, and those that city raiders get pissed about being everywhere.

This makes cities 'feel' safer.  Loot 'looks' safer.  And they are to a point.  no loose walls of zombies milling around, only tighter groupings, as if they were drawn together by noise.  You can grab your items, but hordes still exist (or dont, but I assume you use hordes if when I make the mod so it might just be easier now if they are off).

But, this makes hordes more sudden instead of a floating entity that trickles in.  this makes the zombies more ambushy and makes them less noisy and thus more stealthy.  This makes raiding more dangerous but less stressful.  This allows players to die by their own actions, by choosing to chase that loot rather than suicidally yolo into a crowd.

So would you could you try the mod and give feedbacks?
https://github.com/pisskop/PKs_Rebalancing

For reference, I tried 4 times today to make it to sunup and did 1 time.  The other times I died to running blindly into a crowd (naked and dark start), Zombies tearing down my wall (stopped to read a book), and good old cooking ammo (fires be useful yo).

I would love to, but.

How?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: December 07, 2016, 09:58:33 pm »

Ohhs.

2 ways.  Using the github link theres a green "clone or download" button.  thats it, and no further preperation is necessary other than putting it into the data/mods folder and deleting any PK_xxxxxx mod already there.

Or, using this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/il87ysjl85to0dc/PKs_Rebalancing.zip?dl=0

this is the same thing.

Part of what this tries to address is the complaints of the mod being 'too hard' and part of it is to experiment with the concept; some of the changes to the mod trickle into the core game.

-Religious cemeteries
-More aggressive fungus
-Apple orchards
-nightstalker brutes
-snapping zombies

are examples of what made it in thus far.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 10:00:11 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: December 08, 2016, 04:12:02 am »

-batteries-

Oh man. Phew. Scared me for a minute there.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: December 08, 2016, 08:06:49 pm »

So what exactly was the crafting bonus with recruited NPCs? Was it just shaving a bit of time off the recipe?

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: December 09, 2016, 01:54:29 am »

AWWWWWW YIS - Found a Science ID card.

Should I...?

Also, my Solar APC was a bad idea. I mean, it can store 5,000 volume and is armored to all hell, but I have no god damn visibility. :| The damn thing's too long! Had to install opaque doors to get a little side view, and leave the damn doors wide open...

Bah.

Do mirrors work? If so, and I can figure out how, maybe they can help. If not, that should be a thing.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: December 09, 2016, 03:48:14 am »

Only really I like the APC is for storage. I have... Jeeze... 10 trunks, each with 650 volume capacity, plus a bed with a down pillow, down blanket, and sheet, with a 9mm and fire extinguisher hidden beneath ;) Got my M2 Browning (came equipped) on the roof, not sure how it works but I've not needed it thus far.

Also, CAMERAS!? WHAT! Where do you find cameras?

I've got 4 basic solar cells, like 6 batteries, composite armor, reinforced tires, and my NPCs just hand onto the doors as I go. :P

I could a total of 12 NPCs huddled inside my little forest cabin...

I know I'm going to have to leave some of them behind. :( I cant ever seem to get more than 3 guys in the APC with me since I took out all the chairs.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: December 09, 2016, 04:12:17 am »

Theres a few natural laws that would stop that from happening. The few electric vehicles that do have any form power generation in their drivetrain have it to regain power while braking, and most are trains.

What kind of laws stop this from happening? According to this wikipedia article, there's already a prototype that can do this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_vehicle
I'm just curious to the reason as I thought it was possible, just not practical. 

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: December 09, 2016, 05:56:14 am »

Theres a few natural laws that would stop that from happening. The few electric vehicles that do have any form power generation in their drivetrain have it to regain power while braking, and most are trains.

What kind of laws stop this from happening? According to this wikipedia article, there's already a prototype that can do this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_vehicle
I'm just curious to the reason as I thought it was possible, just not practical.

Thermodynamics, mostly. If you put an electric generator on an electric motor, you're going to get back less energy than you put in, because even in a perfect system you can never get more energy out than you put in, and there's always going to be inefficiencies like friction, electrical resistance, and similar effects that will take some of the energy away as heat.
Nothing important here, move along.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: December 09, 2016, 06:06:07 am »

I mostly just skimmed that article, but I don't see anything in it where an alternator or similar device on an electric motor would provide "unlimited" fuel. But as for natural laws, the First Law of Thermodynamics - you can't create energy from nothing. An electric engine uses electricity supplied by the battery/solar cells/some other generator to create motion force to move the vehicle. An alternator takes motion force provided by the engine to create electricity. Even at a completely unrealistic 100% efficiency(everything is made of super-conductors or something. And even then), you will not gain any energy, or even move the vehicle at all if all the energy is going between the engine and alternator.

A 100% solar car works like this:
Code: [Select]
sunlight->solar panels = electricity->engine->wheels = motion
                              battery-/\             ->battery = storage
                                                       ->vehicle electronics
                                                          ->waste heat(not represented in cataclysm)

A conventional engine works thusly:
Code: [Select]
fuel->engine->power->wheels = motion
                    -> alternator = electricity->vehicle electronics
                                              ->battery
                                               ->waste heat(not in cataclysm)

Ninja'd dammit.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: December 09, 2016, 06:27:59 am »

Only really I like the APC is for storage. I have... Jeeze... 10 trunks, each with 650 volume capacity, plus a bed with a down pillow, down blanket, and sheet, with a 9mm and fire extinguisher hidden beneath ;) Got my M2 Browning (came equipped) on the roof, not sure how it works but I've not needed it thus far.

Also, CAMERAS!? WHAT! Where do you find cameras?

I've got 4 basic solar cells, like 6 batteries, composite armor, reinforced tires, and my NPCs just hand onto the doors as I go. :P

I could a total of 12 NPCs huddled inside my little forest cabin...

I know I'm going to have to leave some of them behind. :( I cant ever seem to get more than 3 guys in the APC with me since I took out all the chairs.
Inboard mirrors win over security cameras if you have direct line of sight to the part they are attached to from your driver's seat since they don't use power but, ironically, you can't attach them to parts where boards/heavy duty boards are. Your APC should already have cameras and camera controls attached to it if you didn't remove them while customizing it.

As for the NPCs, did you find any bicycles/electric cars? Attach a dozen bare extra light frames to the back of the APC and add seats/saddles. It's not like they've been riding any less safely if they normally just hang onto doors. Once you get to wherever you need to go, you can just detach the seats and frames. If you accelerate and decelerate slowly, some of them might even stay in their seats. Or you can just use seat belts.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: December 09, 2016, 07:20:09 am »

Nope: no cameras or camera systems. The APC was badly damaged, missing a bunch of things, so I scrapped numerous local vehicles to get it in working order.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: December 09, 2016, 07:30:22 am »

The annoying thing is, the APC has only one window, which isn't centered. Its a reinforced windshield which is to the LEFT of the central tile, so I can use a mirror on the left and not the right, since the central tile is solid and has the M2-Browning on it.

In other news, I fit over 3,800 volume of useful goodies, materials, dozens of different tools, a few guns I found, hazmat suit, firesuit, and everything else vaguely useful, rammed into the 10 trunks I built into my APC. I have iron, steel, scrap, plastic, kevlar, leather, felt, 12 different types of seeds (including hemp), saw, knives, shovel, brick kiln, charcoal burner, anvil, chemistry set, hotplate, food dehydrator, and weird shit like metallic smoother which I have no clue how to use. I have thousands of items, most of which I'm clueless on their use, but I'm a flaming hoarder in videogames so it works out in my favor when I build a base.

Added a wing mirror which, after moving it around a bit, gave me line of sight to my left. Right side is still totally dark, and I had problems after ramming into wrecked cars on the highway.

I added spikes all along the front of the vehicle, which is 5 tiles wide, so I can impale anything I ram and hopefully pull the E-brake in time to not wreck my engine.

Oh, and I fixed up a motorcycle I found and parked it by my old base. Might use it to go scouting if I can scrouge up enough gas.

I've never left the starting area, and the town is now 100% dry.

OH, also, found a minefield. Got a bunch of mines I disarmed. ??? Profit?

Is money on cards useful? I have like... Half a million after looting a bank and a bunch of scientists and dead soldiers.

I am now a battle-axe wielding, (homemade)suppressed M1911-wielding lunatic in a solar APC carrying crates full of shit to fuck-knows-where to hopefully build a base somewhere.

I have NPCS all active, both wandering and static. Haven't found any static yet, except this one asshole in a basement who tried to kill me and got his ass eaten by a sewer snake I then had to kill. Had nice tools, some guns, and electrical components tho.

Btw, can I do anything with a broken manhack and burned-out implants? Or are they wasting valuable storage space uselessly?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: December 09, 2016, 07:56:46 am »

Been a while, but I think the burned out bionic is a crafting component when you build your own bionics and you disassemble the manhack.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: December 09, 2016, 10:21:40 am »

The annoying thing is, the APC has only one window, which isn't centered. Its a reinforced windshield which is to the LEFT of the central tile, so I can use a mirror on the left and not the right, since the central tile is solid and has the M2-Browning on it.

In other news, I fit over 3,800 volume of useful goodies, materials, dozens of different tools, a few guns I found, hazmat suit, firesuit, and everything else vaguely useful, rammed into the 10 trunks I built into my APC. I have iron, steel, scrap, plastic, kevlar, leather, felt, 12 different types of seeds (including hemp), saw, knives, shovel, brick kiln, charcoal burner, anvil, chemistry set, hotplate, food dehydrator, and weird shit like metallic smoother which I have no clue how to use. I have thousands of items, most of which I'm clueless on their use, but I'm a flaming hoarder in videogames so it works out in my favor when I build a base.

Added a wing mirror which, after moving it around a bit, gave me line of sight to my left. Right side is still totally dark, and I had problems after ramming into wrecked cars on the highway.

I added spikes all along the front of the vehicle, which is 5 tiles wide, so I can impale anything I ram and hopefully pull the E-brake in time to not wreck my engine.

Oh, and I fixed up a motorcycle I found and parked it by my old base. Might use it to go scouting if I can scrouge up enough gas.

I've never left the starting area, and the town is now 100% dry.

OH, also, found a minefield. Got a bunch of mines I disarmed. ??? Profit?

Is money on cards useful? I have like... Half a million after looting a bank and a bunch of scientists and dead soldiers.

I am now a battle-axe wielding, (homemade)suppressed M1911-wielding lunatic in a solar APC carrying crates full of shit to fuck-knows-where to hopefully build a base somewhere.

I have NPCS all active, both wandering and static. Haven't found any static yet, except this one asshole in a basement who tried to kill me and got his ass eaten by a sewer snake I then had to kill. Had nice tools, some guns, and electrical components tho.

Btw, can I do anything with a broken manhack and burned-out implants? Or are they wasting valuable storage space uselessly?
Cash cards can be deposited for real money that you can use in trades with NPCs. You can trade the cash card directly too, but they're a bit buggy since bartering seems to affect their trade value. It usually isn't beneficial, since any NPC that you can trade with will typically have fairly high skill in bartering which reduces the value of your items in trade while making theirs cost more.

And it seems you still haven't found any static NPCs, since the ones that are hostile by default usually have a posse that accompany them. Find an Evac Shelter, use the console in the corner, and one of the options should lead you on a path towards a Refugee Station.

For the last one, if you have enough electronics and fabrication, I think you can build an inactive manhack that you can use. You might need mechanics or computer skill too.
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 451