Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 803251 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5235 on: April 20, 2018, 05:28:23 am »

pisskop mentioned a bubble, I assume the battery has to be close enough to the solar panel to charge?
He's talking about the reality bubble it means that you have to be near to car for the batteries to charge, the batteries can be anywhere in the car and still charge.

To be a bit clearer: the game only simulate what's happening in a radius around the player to avoid grinding to a halt. This area is referred as the "reality bubble". If you go too far from your car, the game won't simulate it charging.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: April 20, 2018, 06:26:16 am »

Has anyone made up a sortable spreadsheet thing of the different foods and how much total nutrition vs shelf life, vs time to make, Enjoyability Quenchable etc? 
http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/consumables
Longer term storage cooking I've not figured out yet, as many of the results can be used again in shorter term recipes. cooked acorn meal seems pretty good though.
Pemmican. 296 nutrition in a very compact package for 2 blocks of tallow, 2 slices of meat and 2 veggies.

oh wow, nifty! that's what I was after.
Looks like Lasagne is a real winner if you're eating it right away. it even gives a lot of quench.

RE: fuel for fire, I took a quick squiz at the code, my cpp is not that hot and I didn't find the actual function, but from comments in the data structs and the json files it appears that putting multiple bits of wood in the fire at one time will Just make the fire burn hotter not longer, a bit of experimentation found that a single splinter will burn for about half an hour, I surmised that a 4x2 should burn  6 times longer if it's based on volume, but it burned for less than 2 hours - enough to make one sausage and then fail on the second one.

I did find the code for making charcoal and thats *is* based off volume, so in theory a big log is better than lots of splinters, assuming that you get less volume of splinters when you chop it all up than what the log was (10).
I've not had any problems with it going out now I've got an indoor fireplace, so my previous problems with that were likely rain related.

RE: Casings  yeah they went into my inventory when I removed the mod from the weapon.

Ah the reality bubble, I thought I read somewhere that it retroactively charged them? I know I read that funnels do this, and from what I can tell that is working.

Does a headlight use the same power as a dome light? headlights are pretty bright.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: April 20, 2018, 06:59:11 am »

Does a headlight use the same power as a dome light? headlights are pretty bright.
I just went and looked at the json and according to them the dome light uses 25, the headlight uses 187, the floodlight uses 1500, and the aisle light uses 75, so given those numbers I would use the aisle light as it gives more light then the dome light but not as much as the headlight, also I would recommend using a car battery as it has a larger power capacity then the small storage battery.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: April 20, 2018, 07:51:08 am »

Ah cool, that makes sense.

I just found an AR-15 with a full clip. nice I was just about out of rounds on the M4A1 this was a nice find.
Question is, should I keep the M4A1 or switch to the AR-15? looking at the numbers the AR has slightly more damage, and slightly better accuracy at mid range (or rather the careful aim is range 4 vs the M4's 3) however it takes longer to aim. once thing I don't quite understand there though, is that the AR-15's *base* aim speed is a lot lower (lower is good right? the ui has it highlighted green when I shift I compare them so it must be?) yet the aim times are worse.
the dispersion is a lot lower on the AR too, not quite sure what that means.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5240 on: April 20, 2018, 08:03:22 am »

clip

ITSA MAGAZINE
*screams*
*runs away flailing wildly*
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #5241 on: April 20, 2018, 08:42:25 am »

M4 is a carbine, whereas the AR15 is a full rifle.
Assuming there are no red dots or holo sights, etc, I'm not sure why the M4 would aim slower, though the AR15 should be more accurate after aiming, which should take (relatively) longer.
The dispersion should be a reference to the expected bullet spread, and given the M4s shorter barrel, I would expect it to have a larger spread than the AR15. At short distances this shouldn't be very significant, but at >200 yds, this can be several inches, even on perfect shots.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: April 20, 2018, 09:40:49 am »

Re: gun accuracy/range, this is the current discussion https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/22753
tl;dr I've proposed two approaches, but haven't had time to implement one:
Plan A: retune for the longest ranged guns (sniper rifles) in the hands of a highly skilled player hitting "reliably" at a range of ~100 tiles (yes that's off the map).  Also increase the degree of overlap in effective ranges, which keeps e.g. pistols from being squished down to a ridiculously short range.
Plan B: retune for max effective range as close to IRL ranges as I can find sources for, which puts hitting "reliably" at 1,000+ tiles for the upper echelons of weapons.

Both plans make most guns "infinitely" accurate in the hands of an upper-tier player, and also make robots/npcs/turrets EXTREMELY dangerous on open ground.

There are ways to get this working.  I am by no means an expert shooter.  I can count on both hands the number of times I've shot guns but I live right next to Ft. Lewis and have quite a few military and former military friends.  Having shot an AR-15, SKS, and AK47 I can hit a target with no training between 100-200 yards no problem, but couldn't hit the bullseye at all.  I'd say a good way to emulate that would be calculating the damage of the bullet subtracting range equating to damage dealt with more "accurate" rifles and character skill mitigating the damage loss.  Also moving targets changes up things a bit, but skilled marksmen and hunters aren't aiming at their targets, they lead them which is making an educated guess where their target will be.

When it comes to NPC humans I'd say it should work similarly.  Robots and Turrets though would have the problem of aiming at their target instead of leading it, even with sophisticated AI, which could translate into mitigated damage and less accuracy.  Just something to think about.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: April 20, 2018, 12:30:34 pm »

I figured out how to batch make stuff, problem with that is if the fire goes out or you loose light, you get nothing.

Is that a recent change? Because I remember batch-making working if the fire goes out.

They finally decided to break that? Without adding the ability to tend to the fire automatically, which was universally regarded as a prerequisite for that?

Look dude... I generally enjoy reading the content of your posts, and I think you raise good points and valid complaints... But it's obvious you have a grudge against Kevin and like to try to stick it to him every chance you get.  It looks petty and makes the thread less pleasant. Kevin doesn't control these forums so there's no reason to treat him differently from any other poster you disagree with.

I know you and others have explained that you feel you have good reason for the bad feelings, and obviously you've got the right to have whatever opinion you want.  But Kevin isn't holding any contributors hostage (that I know of), he's not stopping anyone from cloning the code, so it seems like this is a "Shit or get off the pot" situation. You say it'd be hard to get people to switch over, well I guess that means they're not as unhappy with Kevin as you think they are, at least not enough in their minds to warrant the effort.  I mean... your complaint seems to come down to the fact that since Kevin started the CDDA project he's got all the inertia behind him, and it's hard to overcome that and get people to move over to a different code base.  Well.... tough luck? It's easy to say "If that stupid Tesla guy didn't invent/popularize AC power then I could have, then we wouldn't have been stuck with the decisions he made that I disagree with".  I mean... maybe? But that's not how it is.

And I want to stress, I'm not saying shut up, I'm not saying go away, you say interesting things and know a lot about this project.  I'm just saying the Kevin bashing is a bit much, we all get it, and plenty of people share at least some of your opinions about disappointment in some of the development choices.  In fact, since you can usually clearly explain both what you see as the issue and you understand the code well enough to make informed statements on it, you're a pretty valuable resource to any discussion about how people might want the game to change.

I mean, I know corrosivechains indicated he's got some pretty sore feelings toward Kevin for much of the same reasons as you, but his posts are mostly about the actual stuff being discussed, he's not just taking potshots at Kevin at every available opportunity.  And if your goal is to convince others of your opinions, it's probably backfiring, you're making Kevin seem more sympathetic every time you attack him.

Sorry for trying to play mini-mod, but I feel like I helped start this latest round of fisticuffs, so I feel somewhat responsible to try to steer it in a good direction. 

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: April 20, 2018, 12:40:07 pm »

No man, well said.

You did it politely and with plenty of articulation.  The CDDA gitteam has had its share of arguements.  Time to rent of of that headspace to something other than CDDA?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: April 20, 2018, 12:58:06 pm »

Let's keep it at that maybe? It was so refreshing seeing this thread revolve around the game(play) again.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: April 20, 2018, 01:01:45 pm »

Mods like Arcana were how I piggy-backed up my first modded stuff.  Its still a popular mod.

Speaking of, I've gone and updated my own mod.  Bug-free, or not crashing at least.  noticed they did something to ants though.  What are the newest changes, since about thanksgiving last year?  guns still worthless to a unskilled char?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: April 20, 2018, 01:14:42 pm »

Look dude... I generally enjoy reading the content of your posts, and I think you raise good points and valid complaints...

That...honestly that was more a "wait did they really?" without it being an explicit cheap shot at Kevin specifically. I still haven't confirmed if this bug even exists, let alone who would've done it.

In fact if I recall, Kevin is among those various others who have agreed that fixing the fire exploit requires the ability to tend to said fires. This was more an incredulous reaction than anything else.

As for the rest of that, the reasons why no one is doing the "start my own" thing have been outlined already.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: April 20, 2018, 03:41:50 pm »

Fair enough. Tone is hard to read on the internets. 

The driving in this game is weird, but honestly, it's a pretty damn good system for a turn based game that wants to try to simulate the momentum inherent in vehicles.

Turning on the heading indicator is necessary for your sanity.  I believe it's off by default. 

Driving is accomplished as follows: Get in the car and in control, it needs controls and a seat for this.  Then you can increase/decrease the throttle (or is it target speed?) Changing speed does not take turns or move time.

On the other hand, steering does move time. If you want to drive straight just press the 'wait' button.  When you first start, you'll lose control a lot, especially at higher speed. Losing control seems to cause the vehicle to steer in a random direction, and some time passes.

Once you get your driving skill up a bit, then losing control doesn't happen as often and you can drive faster safely.  Remember the car is always chasing the heading indicator.

Also remember when you want to stop, first STOP THE CAR by setting the speed to 0 and waiting until it's stopped. Only then do you release the controls or turn the car off. Otherwise it's still moving, and bad things will happen if you get out.

All vehicles work this way, including bicycles.  I like it a lot, but it is... weird.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: April 20, 2018, 04:24:27 pm »

and 's' to hit the handbrake.

so I built a bike with a bit of storage, and a 4.5L inline engine. first time I jumped on it said something about it being too heavy for the engine, but it seems to go ok (I stuck a bunch of tools and stuff in it before moving) is the overweight going to cause problems? where do I see the weight?

so I found a Mega Store...
they just keep coming, and coming... and... omg where does it end? how many do I have to kill?
(do they just keep spawning endlessly or is there a set limit?)
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 451