Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 800036 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6165 on: March 08, 2019, 09:32:46 pm »

I was gonna say...yeah. I've had lots of harsh words to say before given prior history, but this is getting a bit excessive on both people's sides, Erk and all the others.

For once I just wanted feedback on trying to make sprites for Erk's new tileset instead. ;~;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: March 08, 2019, 10:04:46 pm »

I'm working away at the sprites and I've got some new ones to add.

Left to Right, Top to Bottom: Bat (2 size versions), Decayed, Fat, Acidic, Corrosive, Crawling, Bloated, Boomer, Smoker, Shocker, Firefighter (Based off of Boston firefighter uniform), Grabber.

Erk, do you have any examples of the style you want for technological and mechanical things? I'll hold off on doing some of those types of things, like the armoured zombie, until I have some design to follow.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: March 08, 2019, 10:09:58 pm »

So, in the interests of continuing to actually talk about the game, and goodwill, I'll try one more time. Maybe we can do this without constantly bad-mouthing people I consider friends, to whom you have absolutely no knowledge of my background nor interaction? That'd be really neat.

@mech4: I haven't booted up gimp for a couple days but your art is sitting at the top of my to do list once I do, I'm really excited about it. I don't have access nor time for graphics on my wed-fri job.

I do however have time for a bit of writing. I'm working on a  few big lore and npc related projects right now but I'm stoked about one that adds a choose your own adventure element to starting NPCs. You can either choose through dialogue to have amnesia, in which case they randomly give you a handful of choices, or you can assert through dialogue that the NPC has amnesia, and guide them through the backstory yourself. In the end, you'll find out all kinds of stuff about how you survived the cataclysm, what happened to you, and who you're travelling with.

For example (this is written in my "notes to self" format. Each header represents a different conversation topic, each bracketed portion is the topic a given option links to.

>talk-startingnpc-cya
Hey there.  Looks like we're safe.
-for now. How much do you remember? (Cya1)
-i can't remember how I got here. (Cya2)

>Cya1
Not...not much to be honest. Can you help jog my memory?
-Sure. Let's start with "who am I"? Do you remember me? (Cya1-who1)
-Do you remember how we made it here? (Cya1-escape1)

>Cya1-who1
No... I feel like I should, though.
-Yeah, you really are forgetting a lot. We're family! (Cya1-who2family)
-You must really have been hard hit to forget your best friend (Cya2-who2friend)
-That stings... but it's not your fault after what we went through. I'm your [boyfriend/girlfriend], remember? (Cya1-who2lover)
-Oh no. Please tell me you remember. I'm your [husband/wife]! (Cya1-who2spouse)
-It's me. [Name], from work? (Cya1-who2coworker)
-Maybe. We met during <the_cataclysm>. We've been through a lot in the past couple days, but before that I don't think we'd ever seen each other. (Cya1who2newfriend)
-Not really. We only just met. (Cya1who2unfamiliar)

Eventually I hope to have quest options like "dad, we have to do something about mom. We can't just leave her like that."

In terms of humble but amazing additions I'm also super keen on the rooftops getting added to the game. I'm working hard on pestering a coder to help me work out a system for parkouring between rooftops, or using your wings to glide across the street. Also maybe zip lines.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:12:18 pm by Erk »
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: March 08, 2019, 10:15:55 pm »

Looks good, better than what I could come up with.

Any thoughts on that initial attempt to try this style?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: March 08, 2019, 11:00:33 pm »

Looks good, better than what I could come up with.

Any thoughts on that initial attempt to try this style?

Myself, I'm not too sure. Cataclysm has things like implants and high-tech doohickies. Let me have a look over some descriptions in the wiki.

::Reading::

A lot of the robots seem to be either Manhacks, or varients of, and  autonomous vehicles like the Beagle Mini-tank UGV. I guess some angle between modern drone vehicles at Half-Life 2 would work. There are some outliers and, personally, I think it's fine if some things are noticably out of place style-wise because Cataclysm is a bit of a mishmash of things. The Chicken Walker I would imagine would look more like ED-209 or the Sentry Bot from Deus Ex.

I don't really know for the power armour. It's worn by the Armoured Zombie as well as obtainable by the player in light, basic and heavy forms. Perhaps like that in Deus Ex? Since apparently the bionics are influenced by Deus Ex as well. I do think things should look more high tech and distinct if you find them within the science bunkers. Secret prototype technology and all that.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: March 08, 2019, 11:18:20 pm »

Would an armored zombie even look different from the player in power armor? That might very well call for just one sprite.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: March 08, 2019, 11:21:12 pm »

Would an armored zombie even look different from the player in power armor? That might very well call for just one sprite.

Well, I would like to do something like having a piece of the armour broken, hole in the faceplate, with some blood visible and maybe frayed wires. The stance could be different as well, hunched over or dragging since the powers gone in the armour.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: March 08, 2019, 11:42:10 pm »

I think an armoured zombie would be hunched and stained, with gunk dripping from the cracks in the armour.

I need to figure out how inorganic monsters are going to look, that might be a good one to start with tonight.

Also  @random dragon, I'll send you some feedback on the discord once I've got a sec.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:00:14 am by Erk »
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: March 09, 2019, 05:40:44 am »

I don't really know for the power armour. It's worn by the Armoured Zombie as well as obtainable by the player in light, basic and heavy forms.
Why don't you make the heavy power armor look like the power armor from fallout.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: March 09, 2019, 06:08:12 am »

where i have to install a tileset mod?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: March 09, 2019, 06:59:48 am »

I don't really know for the power armour. It's worn by the Armoured Zombie as well as obtainable by the player in light, basic and heavy forms.
Why don't you make the heavy power armor look like the power armor from fallout.

Ah, I was going to mention something about that. The Fallout style did come to mind and would work to a degree with the apocalyptic nature of the game. However I felt that the Fallout style of power armour is a bit too... Zeerust in style, dated futuristic. Looking at things like the Manhacks, autonomous vehicles and sentry bots put me more in mind of a more modern futuristic style rather than the old  50s futuristic style of Fallout.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: March 09, 2019, 07:22:15 am »

Ah, I was going to mention something about that. The Fallout style did come to mind and would work to a degree with the apocalyptic nature of the game. However I felt that the Fallout style of power armour is a bit too... Zeerust in style, dated futuristic. Looking at things like the Manhacks, autonomous vehicles and sentry bots put me more in mind of a more modern futuristic style rather than the old  50s futuristic style of Fallout.
I also mentioned it because Fallout power armour seems to be what people think about when power armour is mentioned, people also think of Warhammer 40k, but Warhammer power armour might not fit the futuristic style your looking for ether sense it looks similar to fallout's.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: March 09, 2019, 08:04:28 am »

I also mentioned it because Fallout power armour seems to be what people think about when power armour is mentioned, people also think of Warhammer 40k, but Warhammer power armour might not fit the futuristic style your looking for ether sense it looks similar to fallout's.

Absolutely. It came to mind first for me too. Though I thought "Well, people might be expecting Fallout" so I had a look around for other settings with power armour like Deus Ex, F.E.A.R., XCOM and Crysis. Though those last two might be a bit too futuristic, maybe more like the power armour in S.T.A.L.K.E.R..

Looking at it, F.E.A.R. might work quite well in a number of ways. The sentry bots, super soldiers and armour design.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: March 09, 2019, 08:24:47 am »

Absolutely. It came to mind first for me too. Though I thought "Well, people might be expecting Fallout" so I had a look around for other settings with power armour like Deus Ex, F.E.A.R., XCOM and Crysis. Though those last two might be a bit too futuristic, maybe more like the power armour in S.T.A.L.K.E.R..

Looking at it, F.E.A.R. might work quite well in a number of ways. The sentry bots, super soldiers and armour design.
I'm not sure the exoskeleton from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. would work sense its worn over other stuff, but can see the Deus Ex, F.E.A.R., and XCOM armours working for well power armour, and I think the armour from Crysis would work good for the RM13 combat armour,
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 451