Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Ivybolt - On hiatus until parts may be acquired.  (Read 24855 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Ivybolt - To The Swamp of Hell we go!
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 10:57:43 pm »

The following is the “Command Log” of the fortress of Ivybolt. As per tradition, the current leader is to use this volume or volumes to document the life of the fortress. It is the year 287, and we are located in the western marsh known as The Swamp of Hell, deep in lands held by the outlander elf invaders. We are to build a fortress so mighty that the elves will quake when they face our kin in the future before we are finally consumed.

So begins Ivybolt's duty. We will likely be the only fortress for miles around, unobstructed by mountains, lakes, or seas, making us the best target. I can only hope we aren't consumed by elves, their bears or only Alron knows what else might be here, above or below. Not before we have made our mark.

~Rakust Icyfloors,
Expedition Leader and Dig Team Coordinator of Ivybolt

<======>

YEAR 1
WRITER: RAKUST ICYFLOORS
SITE LEADER: RAKUST ICYFLOORS (Expedition Leader)
POPULATION: 9

14 Granite

We've decided to set up shop here. We were supposed to head further into the swamps but...

I don't think it'd be very.... Amicable to life. Not life more complex than a dish sponge anyway. We also don't have any picks readily available (the only smith to make the journey here so far is working on fixing that with some of our bismuth bronze,) so we couldn't bunker down if we went any further in. And besides.

I don't think we'd have survived the trip any deeper in. Call it a hunch.

19 Granite

The soldiers are armed as best as we can manage given our eh.... Predicament. The Colonel Ironbeard feels it's best to attack now rather than wait for the monsters to come after us.

-

Well, according to the Colonel, all went well, all things considered. Apparently they jumped one when it came down to investigate the ruckus they were making in the dead shrubbery. Dakost dealt the deathblows, and they left the bodies pretty well mutilated, especially since according to Ironbeared, one of the damned things was rotting so badly it practically fell apart when he struck it.

I can see why they decided to leg it once they were dead though. Must've been one horrifying experience. But they've resolved to stay “on duty” until they're sure those abominations are gonna stay dead.

23 Granite

Saw a cob swan today, or something resembling one once. It'd be damned majestic if it weren't for that fucked up strangled sound in its calls. And there's the whole “snapping harpy head,” thing. Good thing our picks are done.

26 Granite

We've hit stone! Nice valuable stone at that. Oh, and got attacked by the damned zombie swan. Dakost took off the head, and the corpse is much too mangled to ever get back up, but our mason Iden is taking the head and hucking it in the ponds on the not-dead-everything side of our uh... Territory.

Better safe than sorry.

28 Granite

Coal! Ha ha! We'll not want for fuel any time soon! And quite a bit more kaolinite actually. At least that's what I think it is. Wonder if a potter will find their way here?

4 Slate

Well... This was a certainly unplanned development. Looks like Iden will have some work bricking over the sitars so nothing climbs up.

6 Slate

The carpenters are already laying out fortifications topside. The walls are going to be good strong ashwood, and the floor for the depot is destined to be made of all the hazel we have right now.

So long as the troopers are observant, I don't see a problem with it.

-

Got attacked by another damned swan. Reg was jumped while he was trying to make a door for later. Bruised him up pretty good, knocked out some of his teeth. I was closest, so I jumped in and helped. Can't say it felt good fighting, but at least that one won't be getting back up. Not ever again.

8 Slate

Ironbeard got jumped by a zombie weasel. He took care of it easily cause of the things being so small, but I'm pretty sure these zombies are starting to wear on everyone's nerves already.

10 Slate

Peeked into the caves and heard a sound unmistakable: A tribe of troglodytes are roaming around down there. Decided to take stock of all our eh... Neighbors, and it seems barring the severed heads, we'll be corpse free for a little while. I gotta admit I'm a little concerned though. The trogs might decide to scale the walls...

19 Slate

GOD DAMN IT I CALLED THIS SHIT.

The troops mobilized early this morning when Reg started screaming for help. He was lucky Janthriel was close by, otherwise he'd probably be dead like one of the dogs considering how many bruises he had.

Me and Zulban aren't even soldiers, but we've done our fair share of fighting already. We each killed two trogs, Jan got two more, and the straggler had to contend with the zombie heads. Didn't last long.

Good riddance.

-Hastily scrawled in, a small spatter of blood where the writer's hand touched the page, is a distressing message-

Leader killed. Severed arm reanimated. Strangled Rakust in his sleep. Justice dispensed by spear. Reg is in charge now.

Alright! First update, and we're off to a wonderful start with the expedition leader being strangled to death in his sleep by a severed arm that landed in the swamp. The owner of which I'm fairly certain was guilty of beating a dog to death.

There's also now a zombie trog in one piece chilling with two severed harpy heads out in the swamp side of the map. But thankfully it seems mutilated carcasses won't get back up, just the grabby snappy bits. Fought two zombie swans, a weasel, and built most of our most base of defenses.

A wall.

Yup, we are living in the lap of luxury with our ashwood wall! At least the land-bound brain-munching little twats will still be kept at bay. Sort of. I think. Game's kind of schizophrenic as to when something will decide when to climb up.

Anyway, we're down a dwarf, so I'm going to have to make our Mason pull double duty since I can't afford to let the militia put down their weapons, since the second I got complacent, a severed arm killed the leader. Seriously. Like... I stopped paying attention just long enough to get the depot built, and Rakust died.

With that, I say.... Any suggestions? Comments? Thoughts?

If not, enjoy the update where a dwarf gets murdered by what I presume was the troglodyte's fapping arm.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: Ivybolt - To The Swamp of Hell we go! One down eight to go!
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 11:04:10 pm »

Leave this place.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 11:10:06 pm »

Leave this place.
Bit late for that I'm afraid.

What's wrong, lack faith in the beards who settle here?

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 12:02:23 am »

Leave this place.
Find some nice place, and dance with the fluffy wamblers. Never get attacked at all, and have dwarfs die of old age.

Just kidding. Go die in an undead hole, as your comrades are killed and try to kill you too. Watch as your fingers fall off from FB blood exposure. Be famous for your 7 year turnover rate (After 7 years, you will have an entirely different cast of dwarf roam the halls). This is Dwarf Fortress: Where embarking on a freezing, haunted glacier with an aquifer is considered "meh, another Wednesday", and surviving hell is just good planing.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 01:52:51 am »

Can I have a dwarf too? Any gender or profession if fine, just as usual. Name's either "Crocky" or "Lizzy". Oh, maybe you could make him/her a "Dead Body Dispencer", give 'em spear and make in charge of crushing body parts with a bridge.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:57:43 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 10:14:40 am »

Could you dorf me as a male miner? Preferably a dwarf w/ high strength. Would like to serve in the military part time and dual wield bronze picks while wearing all the bronze metal armor I can. So, bronze mail probably. Unless I get promoted and get extra metal armor. First name of "Spehss" is fine.

Now then, time to read what horrors the fort's dealing with.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 11:33:44 am »

I of course would like there is be a male warrior with a sword named Senshuken. Got to have decapitated elf heads for the pikes around the walls.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 01:10:31 pm »

Diary of Colonel Ironbeard, Guardian of Ivybolt, first entry,

Today is a sad day, for we have lost one of our founding members.  Our expedition leader was struck down by the foul beasts that stalk this land.  We must remain ever-vigilant against the threats of the world, and be mindful that the elves will find us eventually.  While the others seem convinced that the elves would not dare strike at us here, I know better.  Our greatest enemies will not stop until they have slain us all, but we must endure!  The horrors that haunt these lands are but small fry compared to the horrors which the elves would visit upon us.  The foul creatures that devour the fallen would show no mercy, spare no dwarf, no matter how innocent.

I wonder what haunts this land that corpses rise against us and fight anew against us.  What foul deeds occurred here to taint the land so?  What horrific sacrifices were carried out before our time, what foul spells were cast upon this land?

Bah.  Idle speculation will get nowhere, and I must train to stand firm against the threats that assail us from all sides.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 03:55:48 pm »

Nice, please dwarf me as a craftsdwarf of some kind related to the Spire of Remembrance construction, something like a mason or goldsmith would be great.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 05:17:43 pm »

Sure thing guys, I'll make sure to have you all covered. :)

In the meantime... Heads up: Update soon!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 05:31:10 pm »

Gimme a weaponsmith, Flame. Let's see if my curse holds true.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 05:44:01 pm »

Gimme a weaponsmith, Flame. Let's see if my curse holds true.

It just so happens we got a weaponsmith in the first migrant wave. Does gender matter?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2015, 05:53:38 pm »

Nope.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2015, 08:25:57 pm »

YEAR 1
WRITER: REG ROADOWNER
SITE LEADER: REG ROADOWNER (Expedition Leader)
POPULATION: 8

So... My name is Reg. I've taken charge of this place. And we have a problem.

We're already hauling ass and trying to get our supplies in and build a gate, so we don't get y'know, eaten by zombie pigs. Ironbeard's also dragged out Rakust's corpse so he wouldn't stink up the place.

-

Muthkat decided to go wandering into the fucking swamp for whatever reason. Soldiers have been known to want to stand around places they've fought battles before, so I screamed at her to keep her fucking bardiche ready if she's not going to listen to us. Sure enough, that fucking zombie trog attacked her.

It looked like she was able to keep the thing at bay by raming the point in the monster's neck, and she... Whistled I think? Either way, the dogs went apeshit and ran out of the gate. Also pretty sure I saw a foot go flying after that.

The dogs jumped in and fucked up the trog pretty good. So much so that I don't think it'll be getting back up any time soon. She did drag the severed arm back with her though. Smart girl. But, it seems the fighting drew the attention of the harpy heads. They rolled themselves after her and they managed to kill one of the dogs.

She was able to kill both heads, no surprise. Pretty sure the only reason they got the dog was because the poor bitch had been injured pretty badly by the zombie trog before. We're gonna have to be careful. We can't really afford to loose our last two dogs now.

-

I asked Zulban why everything smelled like salt. Says it''s because the dominant stone in the upper portions of the area seems to be rock salt. I certainly hope nobody minds salt if that's the case.

And the enemy could say we're... Salty. Geddit? … Fuck you next guy I don't have to impress you.

-

We're moving some basic amenities into where the main residential areas will be, and Iden thinks she might be able to jury rig some mechanisms to secure our pitiful excuse of a settlement. We'll need to wait until we have more manpower to work with, assuming anyone is insane enough to make the journey here, to bring in our coal and bronze ore.

-

Took Iden most of Felsite, but we're safe for now. Ironbeard and his dwarves are going to keep themselves busy with solo drills while the rest of us try to figure out ways to make ourselves useful. Maybe I'll take up pottery?

-

Jan was up on the stockade and says she sees elves about a day out over a hill. Girl must have some helacious eyes and told her so. She was pretty modest about it, and said “No, just recognized the outline of the yaks behind them. Thought they were more harpies at first.”

Hope those elves didn't plan on surviving long. I thought those guys weren't due till next spring?

-

We don't have anything except Iden's mechs, but it'll be better than nothing, and we may be able to bolster our supplies a bit. They said they didn't approve of the damage to the living forest, but considering that six other caravaneers died passing through the swamp, they don't really blame us for it.

I'm going to make some porcelain stuff in the meantime.

-

We opened up and hauled out the mechs. Iden had no fucking idea what anything was worth, but apparently the mechanisms were enough for some pomegranates, mangoes, citrons, and a bow and some arrows. Not sure why, but the Colonel was instant we get them. “We'll need some ranged support against the dead” he says.

Now, I'm not one to doubt his words since he's a soldier and all, but I bet the carpenters would have been able to make use some right dwarfy ranged gear instead. Hell, I probably could too given the metal.

-

The boars are gone! I mean sure there's a zombie bird around now, but that's small enough to not need to worry too much about. Well, except about getting your teeth knocked out anyway.

-

The merchants have fucked off, and it is officially The 27th of Malachite. We're due for a small group of laborers and maybe reinforcements any day now.

-

Hah! Called it!

A fishery worker named Momuz leader her cousin Rith and his family here. Good thing we got those extra beds made eh? Told that soaper to grab Rakust's pick and start diggin'.

-

Well fuck. We're now out of dogs. A god damn bird flew in and attacked, killed them both, and Janthriel had to deal with it herself (Ironbeard and Muthkat were getting dinner at the time.) Bruised her arm pretty badly, but she managed to smash the thing into paste with her shield.

-

Figured I'd include Rakust's memorial reading. We finally dug out a place to bury his bones, which is nice. We've also finally cleaned up all the corpses, and Flame took care of making a sword in case someone shows up to volunteer for the ramshackle crew Ironbeard calls a militia. I also made a couple spare helmets.

Autumn has come, and we probably have Iden and her makshift mechanisms to thank for making it this far; not to diminish Ironbeard's squad, but I doubt they would have been able to take down all those boars.

-

Ironbeard managed to run the little fucker down. Spotted a second too, but that one was a good bit lighter on his feet and scarpered into the swamp. I hope a fucking boar eats him. And, on the plus side, The good Colonel seemed quite adamant on making sure the first one wouldn't be a threat in the future (as he chased it a good way into the swamp.)

Make it the first not-zombie and first not-trog killed around here. And we're gonna loot the little fuck because we'll need the trade goods.

-

I'm... I'm a little concerned by what I just made. What is this thing even supposed to be?

-

Why these guys decided to take a wide swing up through the south part of the swamp I'll never know. Oh, and there was this gem.

How the fuck did he even hear about that? The elves left months ago and went back north to their retreats. And why did he feel a need to tell me I replaced the first guy, who's corpse I personally interred?

We also have native elf visitors. Good to see these guys want to help and do business with us, unlike those fuckers who're invading. There's also the matter of some white storks.

As you can imagine, these things could put a damper on trade so the militia is moving out. Hopefully they'll be able to kill the things before they find any traders.

-

Problem solvrbfghg

Okay, so someone shook me and told me that we have an even bigger problem now. Took me topside to show me and all I can say is this.

Fuck us.

So we have us some solid shit goin' on guys!

Managed to avoid being killed by zombie pigs, built the basics, and thanks to a relic from Spiritnet, we'll have a seasonal supply of fruit from the native elves! We now sit at 12 dorfs, soon to be more, we've buried Rakust, and I've got us all living in large rooms with four beds each! I'll include a picture next update.

We've also put down some zombie birds, traded twice, and all of our dogs have been killed. I have also started inching into the swamps for wood, which as you can see has decided it doesn't like that and sent legitimately dangerous animals to possibly try to kill us.

There's not too much to really say other than that, but at least by some miracle we didn't lose another worker right?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Ivybolt - To The Swamp of Hell we go! We might live after all!
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2015, 09:17:35 pm »

Diary of Colonel Ironbeard, Guardian of Ivybolt, second entry

Two of the little scaly bastards decided to try and mess with us, but I put a quick stop to that nonsense.  Got one of the little blighters, but the other got wise and hauled ass out of reach.  Also had to put down an ungodly number of these damn birds that keep swarming us.  Also, we've been trading with the "native elves", whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.  I had the pipsqueek in charge get us some arrows to remind him that we need ranged support against the elves, although I told him the undead to get him off his ass quicker.  Not that the arrows will be of much use to us, but it might be mildly amusing to buy a bow off of them at some point and riddle their brethren with arrows from a skilled archer.  Some of this...

The writing trails off here with an ink blotch, as if the author left in a hurry.

"Colonel, sir, you're needed at the barricade!"

Colonel Ironbeard sighed, setting down his quill on the page, "Is it urgent, Muthkat?  I told you not to disturb me when I'm writing."

Muthkat barged into the Colonel's room, panting from exertion, "You need... to see this, sir.  Reg needs us... at the barricade."

The Colonel stood, grabing his trusty mace from where it lay, "Alright lass, I'm coming.  If the little pipsqueek wants us up there, I'm sure it must be for something important."  He let the sarcasm on the end of the statement linger as he left the room, Muthkat close behind him.

Splint: could you send me an image of my dwarf's profile?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7